cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

PD9260 Convertor Never Goes To 14.4V

Ron_Nielson
Explorer
Explorer
If I am NOT on shore power, draw batteries down to 12.3 or 12.4 volts, I assumed that when I plugged back into shore power, my PD9260 would start putting out 14.4 volts, or at least something close. Mine only puts out 13.6 measured on the output terminals of the PD9260.

Is that a malfunction of the PD9260 or is there something else going on that I don't understand?
49 REPLIES 49

Ron_Nielson
Explorer
Explorer
Finally! Drew down to 11.9, turned on PD9260 and got 14.27 volts within a minute at the device, still only 13.0 volts at the battery itself. 51 amps going to the battery. So I think the device will work if the battery is low enough. And another thing, this is the 1st time I have ever heard the fan turn on. Now I know it works if needed.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron Nielson wrote:
I drew battery down to 12.1, started charging. Started out 13.3 then 13.6. Amps were dropping; first 51 then down to 35 still at 13.6. So apparently not enough to get to boost mode. Unplugged from shore power, all lights turned on now and will get down to 12.0 or less before trying again.

Pendant ordered and will be here Tuesday.
It's interesting you're getting 51 amps of charge current with your PD9260C in 13.6 absorption mode. Assuming 51 amps, how much did you expect it to increase in bulk/boost mode? At 51 amps, you're only 9 amps shy of it's rated output.

I only get 58 amps (and 13.65 VDC) of initial charge current in bulk/boost mode (batteries discharged to 20-30%)--2 amps less then it's rated output. It drops down to 30 amps (while voltage increases to 14.03 VDC) after one hour--still in bulk/boost mode. FWIW, if I force my PD9260C into absorption mode (charging the same batteries at 20-30% SOC) I get approx. 1/2 the charge current I normally get in bulk/boost mode, approx. 30 amps initial charge, 15 amps after one hour.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
How much battery do you have?
Leave the lights on as you plug in.

Ron_Nielson
Explorer
Explorer
I drew battery down to 12.1, started charging. Started out 13.3 then 13.6. Amps were dropping; first 51 then down to 35 still at 13.6. So apparently not enough to get to boost mode. Unplugged from shore power, all lights turned on now and will get down to 12.0 or less before trying again.

Pendant ordered and will be here Tuesday.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes it is a HUGE DIFFERENCE and that's why I'm trying to figure out why my PD9260 does not go into boost mode. I have no clamp-on amp meter, but amps do show in my Trimetric. I haven't looked at amps in the Trimetric other to see that they are higher when the converter 1st starts, then tapers off as time goes on. My battery was about 35% discharged, a significant amount. I expected the PD9260 to start out in boost mode, then drop back to absorption rate, but it doesn't.

Do I have to discharge the battery 50% to get boost mode, or 60%, or 70% ??
I totally empathize with your frustration. Before I purchased the PD9260C, I tried everything to get the WFCO8955 into bulk/boost mode. It was so frustrating to have to spend almost $200 just to get the bulk/boost mode the WFCO8955 was designed to deliver in the first place.

Anyhow, back to the topic at hand. Seems we started out trying out to determine whether you were in bulk/boost or not, but now it seems to have gravitated towards why the PD9260C hasn't gone into bulk/boost mode on its own.

I believe the Charge Wizard Pendent will go a long way in addressing both of these issues. When the PD9260C is OEM packaged, the pendent is included with the PD9260C. The small pendent (with 5-6 ft of wire) plugs into a small RJ type connector on the side of the unit. It does two things, one, it tells you what charging stage/mode is currently active (LED steady on, bulk/boost; LED blinking quickly, absorption; LED blinking slowly, float), and two, it allows you to push a button and manually change the charging stage/mode to one of your choosing.

The PD Charge Pendent is only $10-$20. I'd recommend purchasing one. That's a small price to pay to know what the PD9260C is thinking--even for troubleshooting purposes. Plus, if you disagree with it's logic, literally, you have the option of changing it. That's a lot of flexibility for less than $20!

My two cents . . .

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Ron,

Quote: "When I look at the information here http://progressivedyn.com/charge_wizard.html, seems that it should start out at 14.4, then go to 13.6 then 13.2."

This is what it actually says: "The Charge Wizard constantly monitors battery voltage and battery usage then SELECTS one of the following four operating modes to properly charge and maintain the battery.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Ron Nielson wrote:
brulaz wrote:
I would just get the pendant.
That way you will know when it's in boost.
And if not, you can force it.

Might just do that now that I know it won't come on untill battery WAY DOWN!

Didn't realize it has to drop down to 12.2V to get into boost.

It's not like 14.4 is a particularly high boost voltage anyway.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

Ron_Nielson
Explorer
Explorer
brulaz wrote:

Might just do that now that I know it won't come on untill battery WAY DOWN!

Ron_Nielson
Explorer
Explorer
Just received this from Progressive Dynamics:

The battery has to go lower than 12.2 for the 14.2 mode to come on.

Service Department
Progressive Dynamics
8A.M-12PM & 1PM -5PM EST
Phone 269-781-4241
FAX 269-781-8729

OK. I will give that a try and see what happens. Doesn't make good sense to me that a battery would have to be that low to get to the 14.4V charge. Perhaps there's a good reason for it. I'd sure like to know

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
PD mite say you don't need the pendant RC, but you do, trust me !
I have had 2 PDs, both of which do not always start off in Boost mode on discharged batteries.

If there there is no ac voltage getting to the PD input, such as when dry camping, genset off, if you take notice, (green lite) the wizard is still constantly changing modes thru the day.... between the 13.6 mode and the 14.4 mode, just as if it is a timed program, more than a voltage sensing program.
If the green lite is flashing (13.6 mode) when I fire the genset, it will not start off in Boost, and I have to manually put it there.
So, PD mite be correct, "you don't NEED the pendant control", but if you want Boost mode every time you charge, you'll sure wish you had it.
I think the problem is, PDs are not as smart as some would believe, but IMO, they work great as long as you have the manual pendant control.

And correct, if the batteries are low, and amperage is high, you will not see 14+ volts starting off, but it really is in Boost mode. But it usually doesn't take long for the amps to drop enuff to see 14+ volts.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Ron_Nielson
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
Ron Nielson wrote:
landyacht318 wrote:
It takes time for battery voltage to catch up to converter voltage.

When I set my meanwell rsp -500-15 to 15 volts, then attach it to the battery. The voltage at the mw terminals drops to mid to high 13s and battery voltage is likely a volt under that.

Where are you measuring voltage at?

A clamp on dc ammeter is enlightening. Voltage is deceiving.

I am measuring voltage where the battery cables enter the PD9260. I have 2 other monitors, one of which came with the trailer (with the idiot lights for the tanks) and also a Trimetric 2030 monitor, measuring at the battery.
Have you tried measuring charge current with a clamp-on ammeter at the battery? With discharged batteries (12.1 - 12.2 vdc) I've found initial charge current with my PD9260C to be roughly 25-30 amps in absorption mode and 55-58 amps in bulk/boost mode. Huge difference.

Yes it is a HUGE DIFFERENCE and that's why I'm trying to figure out why my PD9260 does not go into boost mode. I have no clamp-on amp meter, but amps do show in my Trimetric. I haven't looked at amps in the Trimetric other to see that they are higher when the converter 1st starts, then tapers off as time goes on. My battery was about 35% discharged, a significant amount. I expected the PD9260 to start out in boost mode, then drop back to absorption rate, but it doesn't.

Do I have to discharge the battery 50% to get boost mode, or 60%, or 70% ??

09FLSTC
Explorer
Explorer
You aren't going to see much current out of it but the voltage should be up there around 14.4 for a few minutes. They fall off fast, especially current. A clamp on is good but your trimetric should tell the story.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ron Nielson wrote:
landyacht318 wrote:
It takes time for battery voltage to catch up to converter voltage.

When I set my meanwell rsp -500-15 to 15 volts, then attach it to the battery. The voltage at the mw terminals drops to mid to high 13s and battery voltage is likely a volt under that.

Where are you measuring voltage at?

A clamp on dc ammeter is enlightening. Voltage is deceiving.

I am measuring voltage where the battery cables enter the PD9260. I have 2 other monitors, one of which came with the trailer (with the idiot lights for the tanks) and also a Trimetric 2030 monitor, measuring at the battery.
Have you tried measuring charge current with a clamp-on ammeter at the battery? With discharged batteries (12.1 - 12.2 vdc) I've found initial charge current with my PD9260C to be roughly 25-30 amps in absorption mode and 55-58 amps in bulk/boost mode. Huge difference.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Ron Nielson wrote:
It read 13.6, briefly 13.7, then 13.6

That is done. No boost that cycle. Voltage will only rise in boost mode.