cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Plastic skink, SS basket strainer, what to use to seal?

RVhiker
Explorer
Explorer
I'm replacing the pot metal basket strainers in my RV sink because the sink stopper will no longer seal to hold water in the sink; the pot metal is corroded and grungy.

I've ordered two stainless steel basket strainers. The sink is plastic. What do I use to seal between the lip of the basket strainer and the inside bottom of the sink? Plumber's putty? Butyl? RV seam putty? Silicone? Something else?
There's lots of advice and information in forums...
sometimes it is correct.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab; Duramax/Allison; Pullrite 14k Superglide Hitch
9 REPLIES 9

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Our kitchen sink is white shiny plastic. We're careful about damaging it (just like we are with our home SS sink) and it still looks like new.

RVhiker
Explorer
Explorer
And I was just about to thank everyone for not commenting on my plastic skink. ๐Ÿ™‚
There's lots of advice and information in forums...
sometimes it is correct.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab; Duramax/Allison; Pullrite 14k Superglide Hitch

jrnymn7
Explorer
Explorer
Why do you have a plastic skink?

http://www.floridiannature.com/Skinks.htm

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Silicone will work, but putty is what the professionals use. There are a couple different types of putty -- for plastic, I would use oil-free, non-staining.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
YES....silicone

One of the few places in an RV that it should be used.
Plastic sinks/shower pans and drain strainer/basket.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Plumbers putty is the wrong thing to use. Check the label of the container, it will tell you to not use it on anything plastic. Using plumbers putty will only work for a short time on plastic and then it will fail. Trust me, I have fixed ceilings under baths because of this common mistake.
The correct product is silicone in this particular situation. Contrary to the negative rep it gets here it does have its place and this is it.
There should be nothing but silicone between the basket and the top of the sink. The rubber and paper gaskets go under the sink.

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would use plumber's putty.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

Cool_Canuck
Explorer
Explorer
You should have a rubber and Teflon ring with your sink strainer. Use some plumbers putty between the top part of the strainer and the sink. The rubber ring goes on underneath followed by the Teflon ring and nut.
'05 Day Dreamer by Cedar Creek
2011 F250 PSD CC

You can lead a horse to water.
You cannot make it drink.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Silicone sealant has got to be one of the more worthless products on the planet.

Butyl caulking will seal better and longer. When I do a caulk job I take my time to make sure the sealant is laying perfectly before it gets squished.