cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane Tank - Laying down for transport?

Rickhuntfish
Explorer
Explorer
Can I transport a 20lb propane tank on its side in my 5th wheel basement? I know I will have to secure it from rolling around, but the height with it standing up is the issue I have.
21 REPLIES 21

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
posted accidently
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it's partially empty, you should be alright if you keep it partially tilted. It won't be a recommended or 100% safe position, but safer than horizontal because the gas won't flood the valve at the top.

With 20lb tank being almost as high as it is wide, I don't even understand the question. If the 5-er storage space isn't high enough, put it in your truck upright.

About safety... I remember Mexicans delivering 66 lbs cylinder to the camp. The cylinders were transported vertically on the flatbed truck, to please the authorities. Having arrived on the camp, they threw it down from the truck - not lowered, but threw - and one of them rolled it to my rig, kicking with his feet. Horizontally.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, only have one regulator at a time.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Safety wise, does it really make any difference how big the cylinder is when carried inside a passenger vehicle? Be it a 20 or 30 pound cylinder, it is enough gas to blow you away. Personally, I sometimes carry a 20 pound strapped in the cab. I am more concerned with it bouncing around in case of an accident, than any other reason.

I am not familiar with the BabyQ, but I do have several other grills I use. I have a quick disconnect to connect to my Camper and a 12-foot hose. It requires no modification to my grills for connection. I have had it several years, and never used it. What I do not know, is if I will have issues with the Camper regulator and grill regulator both connected. As for connecting the grills to the camper, I use a different hose (without quick disconnect) from tank to grill.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
RVnRobin wrote:
BFL13 wrote:
I take a 30lb tank for a refill sitting on the front passenger seat of the truck, on a towel or pad so it doesn't cut the leather, strapped in by the seat belt. It is supposed to be vertical, so that's how I do it.
UUUMMM...:h In the cab with you? Looks like another legal/code question.

Last I knew only a 20lb. is allowed to be carried inside a passenger vehicle.

Dusty

RVnRobin
Explorer
Explorer
BFL13 wrote:
I take a 30lb tank for a refill sitting on the front passenger seat of the truck, on a towel or pad so it doesn't cut the leather, strapped in by the seat belt. It is supposed to be vertical, so that's how I do it.
UUUMMM...:h In the cab with you? Looks like another legal/code question.
So much to experience, so little time.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rickhuntfish wrote:
Can I transport a 20lb propane tank on its side in my 5th wheel basement? I know I will have to secure it from rolling around, but the height with it standing up is the issue I have.

No!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II

(cost was back to $29 here lately, but was briefly up to $33 last month with all the fuss in the States on propane cost that was going on back then)
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Rickhuntfish, If you use a high pressure fitting instead of trying to use a low pressure QD, you may find it takes about 30 seconds longer to hook up and disconnect the hose and you won't have to remove and replace the BabyQ when you switch from S&B to Rv and back. Beside the whole setup for HP is cheaper than the LP setup.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
They make a cradle or stand that holds 20 lb tanks upright for transport. They are usually green and made of plastic. I might want to screw it down because a full 20 lb tank or even empty has a lot of energy when you hit the brakes or accelerate. I've seen them at Ace and perhaps at CW but not lately. Anyplace that sells the tanks should stock them or maybe not.

Rickhuntfish
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
A standard milk crate holds them very nicely.

It's the height in the basement of the 5th wheel that gives me issues. It just fits on it's own, I have it attached to front wall with a bungee now.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
A standard milk crate holds them very nicely.

Rickhuntfish
Explorer
Explorer
I thought that was case just wanted to confirm. I will figure out a way to carry it upright. It is for my BabyQ grill. I wish they would make the BabyQ more friendly to hook to a quick disconnect on the trailer and still be able to attach to a 20lb tank at home.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I assume you are referring to taking the propane tanks to get re-filled. I keep my propane tanks in its holder on the front trailer tongue when driving down the roadways...

When I take my tanks to a propane place for filling it is always set upright sitting in the bed of my truck and held in place with stretch cord.

Laying horizontal I would be afraid it might roll around and knock off the valve...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS