Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Quality of Forest River

icodeintx
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings again,

Today I installed a 20amp inlet to take advantage of the extra electricity at the park. While working inside the bathroom sink cabinet I was shocked (well not exactly) to find that the manufacture left gaping holes in the floor to the basement.

There are probably several options to filling the gap but I'm interested to see what your ideas are? Thank you in advance.

Image1

Image2
Scott D - Desert Storm Veteran
33 REPLIES 33

icodeintx
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
these holes are not associated with a slide where some flex/slop is necessary to avoid damage? are they?
bumpy

no those holes are on the upper level of the 5th wheel inside the sink cabinet. funny thing is they aren't even round. It appears someone cut it while not even looking, lol, maybe they were too busy on their phone at the time to pay attention to work.

icodeintx
Explorer
Explorer
What is the steel wool for?

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your title should be Lack of Quality of Forest River.
Those are pet doors for mice & insects.
I'd pack it full of course steel wool then cover it with spray foam.
BTW, you may want to check your plumbing, that wall in image 2 looks like water stain.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The large holes are pretty standard Amish craftsmanship. Cut two pieces of plywood, sheetmetal or strong plastic with half a hole in each, then fasten them around the pipes. Seal any remaining gaps with the sealant of your choice.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
these holes are not associated with a slide where some flex/slop is necessary to avoid damage? are they?
bumpy

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
but we keep buying them.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
With FR Iโ€™m not shocked at anything.

I would of rather had a few hacked in holes as opposed to the slew of major issues we had with our Grand Design Solitude, which was made after they acquired by Winnebago. Those Winnebagos BTW ( formerly Sunnybrook) are not exactly a peach in the build quality dept either.

Fact is all the big manufacturers use the same means, methods, and materials. They're all slapped together as fast as possible using the piecework labor model. To single out one brand is simply inaccurate.

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty typical of the few FRs (Rockwoods) that i've seen. I used up a couple of cans of spray foam sealing a FR 20-footer once.

icodeintx
Explorer
Explorer
I've had to completely tear out the kitchen floor down to the dirt but that really wasn't the fault of the manufacture. The previous owners left it sitting out with a sink leak for years (I assume). They replaced the floor but used the wrong materials and it became so soft that a footstep was starting to bust through. Sadly I could not find 1.5 inch Styrofoam anywhere and ended up using spray foam for the entire floor. Not ideal but it put a floor under my feet.

If you care to see I have an RV Album with photos.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I found some gaps in the floor much like yours I used Great Stuff Big Gap Sealer worked out very well.

Just make sure that you wear gloves,this stuff is very sticky and hard to get off,I learned the hard way......:S
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yeah, not even my old 2003 Prowler (Fleetwood product) had open holes like that... The Prowler had tighter holes and filled with spray foam. From what I've seen on the Rockwood, the same deal, plus the sealed under body..

I never had any rodent issues in either the Prowler or the Rockwood and it's parked next to my house next to my firewood storage and the firewood gets all kinds of 'residents'... The trailers.. Never.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

icodeintx
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150, I would imagine or hope that those kind of QA issues have been resolved. For the price of a new RV you'd think they would put a little more love into it. I might put spray foam in it at least for the Winter.

icodeintx
Explorer
Explorer
It would sure be nice if the admins would enable this forum to accept images from Google. I don't keep them on my drive ๐Ÿ™‚

icodeintx
Explorer
Explorer
oops i meant to post 2 different images. Here is the 2nd one.

Image under sink

clearly you can see all the way down into the basement. It seems all my plumbing was done this way.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not sure why the img tags don't work... but, copy paste the links and open in a new window and you can see the pics..

But, those are some pretty big holes! My 2019 Rockwood does not have holes like that from what I've seen so far..

Might try some spray foam?

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.