cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Quality Pure Sine Inverters 300-600 Watts

Mike3
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the market for a good inverter to go with a new solar setup on my truck camper. Plan on installing three 100 watt panels to keep my two Trojan 6 volts charged. I was leaning towards a Morningstar 300 but I recently saw a Go Power 600 on Amazon for about $100 more. Is that a good brand?
2017 Entegra Anthem
2013 Honda CRV Toad
2013 Road Glide Ultra with a HydraLift
31 REPLIES 31

Mike3
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys, I'm going to stay with the Morningstar 300. I like the fact it has no fan so it will be quieter and 300 w is all I need for TV, charging phone/ipad, etc. I'll still carry my Honda 2000 if I need coffee maker, MW and higher watt stuff.
2017 Entegra Anthem
2013 Honda CRV Toad
2013 Road Glide Ultra with a HydraLift

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I don't think you will find a leaf blower that will run on a 600 watt inverter.

SkiSmuggs wrote:
TV, DVD player and leaf blower are all I would need it for.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Mex,

The Samlex is identical with the Go Power. Both are great. The Samlex is used by Ham Radio operators because it doesn't produce much RFI.

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
"Oh Goody" I am thinking after having just committed myself to a SAMLEX 300 watt
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
NinerBikes wrote:
RJsfishin wrote:
I agree 3-400 watts is plenty, no advantage in 600-1000 watts.

I keep telling myself I want a 3-400w PSW to replace my Cobra 400w MSW, but I can't figure out why. The Cobra fan is not noisy, and it runs sat tv etc just fine. It charges PC etc etc just fine too. But I still always think I want a PSW,.....I guess just because its better.

I bought some 175W 12V MSW for something like $25 on line, maybe less. It powers my 21" TV just fine off the batwing antenna. Whole package draws about 4.4 amps in 12V when the TV is on. Interestingly how low or how high the volume is set on the tv has an effect on the amount of amps drawn. I guess speakers can suck the juice when turned up a bit?

Picture brightness has the big effect on what amps the TV draws via inverter.

On inverter size, while you only need a small inverter for TV etc, and a big one for microwave etc, I have found that the 1000w PSW Xantrex one I got on sale (same price as a small inverter regular price at the time) has turned out to be a good idea.

The 1000w draws no more than my 400w did, so no advantage in going smaller for that reason. (However the big 2000w draws more than the 1000 and below so that is different. It is just that "small" starts at 1000 not 400.) So what?, you ask.

I use the 2000w for MW, kettle, and toaster but it turns out the 1000w can run the kettle and toaster in the 900w area, so that just leaves the MW it can't do. That means there is redundancy for the 2000w if it died, we can still make toast! ๐Ÿ™‚

Also on the MW, I found the 1000w inverter can indeed run a "700" size MW which wants 1050w input. Out trailer has a "1000" MW (wants 1550w) so that is out, but if you had a small MW, the 1000 could do it, so now you could have redundancy for everything, or just go with the 1000 for everything and use a small MW and never mind having the 2000w inverter at all. No redundancy except going on gen or shore power that way of course.

Anyway, it changes the notion of needing a small inverter for the small stuff and a big one for the big stuff if you are willing to go smaller in MW, and the 1000 is no more of a power user itself than a 300 or whatever. Also could affect battery bank size needed if no big inverter.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:

I keep telling myself I want a 3-400w PSW to replace my Cobra 400w MSW, but I can't figure out why. The Cobra fan is not noisy, and it runs sat tv etc just fine. It charges PC etc etc just fine too. But I still always think I want a PSW,.....I guess just because its better.

I bought some 175W 12V MSW for something like $25 on line, maybe less. It powers my 21" TV just fine off the batwing antenna. Whole package draws about 4.4 amps in 12V when the TV is on. Interestingly how low or how high the volume is set on the tv has an effect on the amount of amps drawn. I guess speakers can suck the juice when turned up a bit?

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
happy samlex PSW 300 user here for several years now.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

SkiSmuggs
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
"Oh Goody" I am thinking after having just committed myself to a SAMLEX 300 watt

That or the Samlex 600w model for the remote switch would be my choices. TV, DVD player and leaf blower are all I would need it for.
Oops, turns out the leaf blower requires a 1000w inverter.
2015 F350 XLT PSD 6.7 Crew Cab, Andersen Ultimate hitch
2012 Cougar High Country 299RKS 5th wheel, Mor/Ryde pinbox, 300w of solar

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Both Morningstar and Go Power have good followings, we chose to go with a 300 watt Samlex and it has performed well, it is used to power our flatscreen, HD sat and receiver, DVD and Bose system.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

KJINTF
Explorer
Explorer
Mike

It DEPENDS on what kind of "system" solution you are looking for
If you are planning on a Morningstar solar controller and looking at the TS-RM2 meter. That very same meter will interface with the Sure Sine 300. Lets you remotely turn it on/off plus see several of the operational parameters under load conditions, a nice remote control.

Never any moving parts aka FANS in the Morningstar stuff, dust does not get sucked in, increased efficiency, etc..

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am using the AIMS 600WATT PSW Inverters (AMAZON $149) for my duty (always ON) Home entertainment and emergency power setup. Mine has two 120VAC electrical drops from the INVERTER which is installed close to the battery bank and one drop goes to the home entertainment area and the second drop goes to the bedroom area. These drops are completely out of sight using cable install kits from LOWES. Only thing you will see is the multi-tap 120VAC Cable end mounted on the back of a cabinet top where you can plug your 120VAC small items into it.

I use a 300WATT MSW elcheapo Inverter that has battery clips on it to use outside to run my outside lights... Only use for 120VAC lights as if I plug a 20-inch fan into it the fan motor start getting very warm after being on for just a short time.

Works great for us for camping off the power grids

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
go to www.donrowe.com. They set me up in my first TT with a xantrax 1200 and now in my second TT with a xantrax 2000. They have many models and know what there talking about. I also bought a xantrax 400 and use in in the TV while on the road. Good stuff.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

MrWizard
moved from Technology
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I have a 300w and 2000w GoPower sine wave inverter and recommend them often.
Morningstar is also highly regarded.

Beauty of 300w is you can use existing main battery connection. No pulling wire.