cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Recommend me a decent ice maker

Payoneer
Explorer
Explorer
portable, of course :)Back when we were younger, we would cool our drinks in a lake where we make camp for the last 10 years now. But now as we're concidered as 'old people', we've been thinking to invest in an ice maker (so we don't have to walk too far to get the beer :D)
Anyway, i was checking out this piecethis piece and I wanted to ask someone for some impressions about it, especially from those who own it. Thanks very much.
11 REPLIES 11

gmctoyman
Explorer
Explorer
Had the one from Target used 3 yrs no fault. Recently retired it (still working) and replaced it with the small one from Camping World. Has not had much use yet but seems to work about the same.
Dave W. AKA "Toyman"
KE5GOH - On 146.52
RV's ? What RV's ???
Apache Pop-up
Classic GMC Motorhome
07 Leisure Travel Sprinter
Do Boats Count ?

oilslick
Explorer
Explorer
WE have the same ice maker just a different name on it,Emerson I think, 2 years old now and love it. Very fast once it gets cooled off and going. As with anything you have to keep it clean.

MrWizard
we have the "ice N easy" now 4 yrs old, still working good
i don't know who mfg it, or where it fits in with the other models
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
After fighting line leaks on the U-Line job.. I "ripped" it out (Carefully) and put in a couple (I have 4 but really only use 1) Rubbermaind ice cube trays.

Best ice maker I have ever used.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

cochise49
Explorer
Explorer
The small ones available are heavy but make enough ice for two or three people on a summer day. Our RV fridge has no ice maker and we bought the small one at camping world before they were available everywhere at half the price. Used it at home when ice maker quit there. Would dump ice cubes into the bin in home fridge. Dispenser still worked. Worked until we had need to replace the fridge. Now it resides in the RV. Just bought a new rig with built in ice maker so the portable will go back to being a back up unit.
Bev& Keith
2014 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake

jasult
Explorer
Explorer
Got mine from Target on sale for 88.00. Never go with out it when we take fiver

click me
Jim & Georgeanne + Lucie the beagle
"excavator" on the DieselStop.Com
1999 F350 CC LB Hydra chip
1996 F250 Powerstroke, Tony tunes, BTS trans
1995 Fleetwood Wildness 30 ft 5ver

Our Camping Pics and 5ver Album here
Our Gettysburg trip 2010
Williamsburg, Va

ronniedean1234
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased an Igloo Ice Maker last year and used it for the first time here this winter in Arizona, works great and only paid $99.00 at our local department store...
17 Voltage 3970
1999 Freightliner Western Hauler CC/300 Cat/Chipped
2001 Ford F350 CC DRW/ 4x4/ 6 Speed/Chipped

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Do some searching to find the best price on this style of ice meker. Like others have said they are sold under many different brand names. We have bought 3 (all Magic Chef) one went bad in about 2 years. The other two are still working great after 5 years. They make ice about every 7 minutes. We keep one on our table under the patio awning so ice is readily available to our guests.

We use a lot of ice and it keeps up with us without a problem. I have to fill the water every couple of days during heavy use and can go a week with light use.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out compact appliances on line. They have many different brands, all I suspect from the same company as they look pretty much identical? Pick the one you like and a week later it is on your door steps. Thy have always treated me well.

Cuffs054
Explorer
Explorer
Pay, I found an Emerson on line and got it for $85.00 with shipping. It was a refurb but seems to work like it should. As soon as we get to TT I put a gallon of water in it and fire it up. It makes enough ice that I can freeze 2 big baggies for later.

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
That same machine is on the market under many different names. I have the Magic Chef version. It has worked well for about 4 years now. It is not a "freezer" in that the ice is made, but will melt over time, but it just remakes ice from the melted water. It will keep up with the two of us very easily. I sometimes just let it make ice, bag it and put the bags in the freezer for future use. Beats buying bags of ice, but it takes a little while to have enough ice for use. I would recommend one.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."