Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Refrigerator replacement ASAP

demort
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all
I probably should have followed my gut and turned on the fridge well in advance of our trip.
Now we are planning to leave in 2 days and my old Norcold 662 seems to have failed. We started it up this morning and smelled ammonia this afternoon. The divider between the fridge and freezer was hot too.
So - question of urgency - Does Camping World typically have replacement models on hand?
I've got maybe a day option to delay the trip, but we're heading from NY to MO to see the eclipse and meet friends. Can't quite ask the solar system to hold off while we figure this out.
46 REPLIES 46

demort
Explorer
Explorer
jerseyjim wrote:
Dump the Norcold, get a Dometic elec/gas. Stay away from the 12V.

My opinion...FWIW...and g'luck

Can you elaborate- what makes you avoid the 12v option?
And your preference of dometic over norcold?

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
SidecarFlip wrote:
I agree with Mr. Wizard. Call ahead and stop in Elkhart and get one installed while U wait. While U are waiting swing by the Amish beanery on 20 and have a feed.

I bet Bontrager has one. Give them a call. They are on 20 almost across from the Amish beanery.

If you smell ammonia unplug it from the 110 outlet and disconnect the 12 volt too.

I'm just curious. I have never heard of an Amish "beanery." Are you talking about a restaurant? Bontrager's Surplus/Sales is in Michigan on US 12. Is there another one in Shipshewana?

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
j-d wrote:
If you want to try and get a repair "on the way" call Leon at National RV Refrigeration

He was just mentioned here and sounds like he could repair your fridge by appointment.

Leon is the only one we trust to work on our refrigerator. He is a young Amish man and is very honest and gets the job done. If you call ahead and make an appointment, he will work on it till it's done. We've never been more than one day, even when he changed out a cooling unit. You must call and leave a message and his phone is in an outbuilding, but he will get back to you the same day. Even if you choose to use coolers this trip, on your return, it would be worth it to stop and have Leon "fix your fridge." He is in Shipshewana, just north a mile or two from US 20 on his farm. . . easy in/out.

If the reference to Bontragers is the surplus/sales place, it's in Michigan on US12 about 3 miles east of White Pigeon. They usually do have refrigerators, but you would buy it and install yourself. Also RV FActory surplus in Elkhart has a bunch last week when we were there. They are on SR19.

Dale

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Dump the Norcold, get a Dometic elec/gas. Stay away from the 12V.

My opinion...FWIW...and g'luck

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Why replace a good cabinet? Just replace the cooling unit with a better Amuish cooling unit? We did this in an old Norcold unit and it reworked great, would be cold in as little a 2 to 3 hours!
http://rvcoolingunit.com
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

demort
Explorer
Explorer
I am really appreciating all the feedback. I feel like I'm talked off the ledge. While it's a bit disappointing to revert to ice and coolers this trip, I'm not going to let that get me down. In fact, my wife is already adapting plans and reminding me that it wasn't so long ago that we were packing coolers, etc. We can do this.

As long as that ammonia dissipates!

I like the idea that I take the opportunity to re-figure this part of the RV setup. We are rarely plugged in and want to fit with the solar rig we have (limited roof space, but we can have 470 watts and that's not too shabby). So maybe one of those 12V units will do the trick. I like the idea of less level sensitivity too.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can you replace the fridge without door or window removal?
I would just buy ice bags twice a day for the trip and worry about it when I return.
Think how 50+ years ago people could camp for weeks without refrigerators.
Pack more of dry food, than easy perishable.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
demort wrote:
I think we may need to "rough it" a bit this trip and consider the options well.
We mainly are off of shore power when we camp and don't have a generator.
We do have 235 watt solar panel (and room for another), with a pair of T145 batteries for the house. Not sure how much power these residential units use.

Make sure you check out 12 volt fridge danfoss compressor type

There are several other brands of this type. I bought one of these. You all ready have solar and you camp off grid. This could be a perfect match. This fridge runs just like one in your house and only uses 60 watts while running. You can find many threads on this. Another big advantage is you do not have to be level at all. JMHO
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want to try and get a repair "on the way" call Leon at National RV Refrigeration

He was just mentioned here and sounds like he could repair your fridge by appointment.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"We mainly are off of shore power when we camp.."

Too bad. You'll miss so many wonderful CGs...city, county, state and federal.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Use coolers/ice and deal with the refrigerator when you get back.
Enjoy the trip and eclipse, don't stress out over getting a replacement before the trip.

demort
Explorer
Explorer
I think we may need to "rough it" a bit this trip and consider the options well.
We mainly are off of shore power when we camp and don't have a generator.
We do have 235 watt solar panel (and room for another), with a pair of T145 batteries for the house. Not sure how much power these residential units use.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Leaving Wednesday and went out Tuesday to open up camper and noticed our Norcold at 85 degrees"

Checking everything Tuesday to leave on Wednesday?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Jimmie2
Explorer
Explorer
Happened to us last New Years. Leaving Wednesday and went out Tuesday to open up camper and noticed our Norcold at 85 degrees! Opened the back up and sure enough, ammonia leak. Went to Home Depot and picked up one of these and had a local RV Mobile Repair install it for the next morning before we left. Almost fit perfectly...just needed to cut about 3/4" off of fridge cabinet and it slid right in. Plugged right in where the old fridge plugged in. Back in business in less than 24 hours! Wouldn't go back to an electric/propane fridge now. Stays nice and cold on the road with some freezer packs in the freezer and the fridge.