cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Removing ext AC cover for dummies

tomseeley
Explorer
Explorer
I need to see if my AC evap coil drain pan holes are plugged. I'm getting some condensation inside the rig. I did confirm my interior return air filter is clean.

My owners manual is no help. I assume I just unscrew the 4 screws on the corners of the white plastic cover on the roof and lift it off?

Assuming that's where I start, what then? Will the drain pan and the holes be obvious, even to me, once I have the cover off?

BTW. It's a Coleman Mach and I think it's model 8330C63.

Thx.

Tom
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2008 Nash 26X
11 REPLIES 11

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
"Keven, you seem to suggest I DO need to take off the metal shround to expose the coil. It sounds from other msgs that that's what has the apparently huge number of metal screws that don't line up real well when I try to put it all back together again!"

No big deal - std sheet metal screws that come out easy and are easy to put back in place - probably about 15 of them. Just bring a small container up on the roof to hold the screws.
Kevin

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
A couple of things to look at- my RV.net blog post tune up your A/C, and my older page on A/C leaks

Hah- j-d beat me to it ๐Ÿ™‚
-- Chris Bryant

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Help is Right Here thanks to our friend and technical advisor Chris Bryant.
To add, I found I could use a license plate, cutting board, or the like to form a deflector that allowed me to hose the evaporator coil (the one inside the sheet metal) without getting water down into the coach.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
To remove top cover.. Go up on roof and look how to remove is usually obvious, (Remove screws and lift off)

You may now cleand the drip pan and it's outlet, also discover where outlet is. (A small "Spout" like on a measuring cup)

While you have the outer cover off remove inner covers, both Evap and Condensor.. how to do that varies from brand and model to brand and model.. Clean everything.

Your A/C works much better when clean.

I used to have a matched pair of Carrier Air V's 13.5 KBTU on this RV (one failed and was replaced with a 15KBTU Advent) (K=1000) all 3 pull 13.5 amps,running, WHEN CLEAN, more when running dirty

Most 30 amp breakers have no problem with 27 amps.. As I proved, twice.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

tomseeley
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys, but I'm apparently dummier than I thought!

I took off the outside white plastic cover with no problems. But except for the fan and the motor housing and a couple other parts I couldn't identify everythign inside was still inside more metal covers. And I was completely UNable to see any place where condensate might accumulate and eventually run out over the roof and down the gutters like it's supposed to.

I've emailed the mfr but so far no help.

Any more suggestions would be appreciated!

Keven, you seem to suggest I DO need to take off the metal shround to expose the coil. It sounds from other msgs that that's what has the apparently huge number of metal screws that don't line up real well when I try to put it all back together again!

Is it really going to take that?
2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax/Allison
2008 Nash 26X

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
If your going to remove the metal shroud covering the evaporator coil you might as well clean the evaporator coil while you have it exposed .. should help performance of your AC unit .. lots of threads on how to clean your coil.
Kevin

camperpaul
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:

Taking cover off is easy. Putting it back might need some patience as it is often warped (or the pan warped).

You will find a hand-full of 16d nails will come in very handy when getting the holes lined op.
Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

tmmar
Explorer
Explorer
Tom,
There are 4 screws on my Dometic AC- one on each side toward the rear and 1 on each side in the front of the AC. Not sure if the Coleman is much different. Once you remove the screws you should be able to see pretty much everything that you would need to look at. Not all that hard to do.
Good luck,
Tom
2014 40' Forest River Berkshire DP Bunkhouse

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Go ahead and remove it. It's only 16 short screws holding the cover :)...

Yes, you will see the pan that the whole thing is sitting on.

Taking cover off is easy. Putting it back might need some patience as it is often warped (or the pan warped).

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You remove the top cover(4 screws), then you will see a metal pan with a bunch of screws over the top of the evaporator. Remove all those screws and the evap cover comes OFF. IF you have the inside mount with the Air filter, you can SEE the evap by looking up from the inside. Doug

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
google is your friend. try that for any vids on it.