cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing Air Conditioner - which one?

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have an 11 year old Dometic Brisk Air 15,000btu air conditioner in my trailer. For the past several years I have had to climb up on the roof, after the trailer has been sitting unused for 30 days or longer, take the shroud off the unit, and physically turn the fan blades and lubricate them before the air conditioner will operate normally. After doing that, it will continue to operate and put out fairly cool air as long as it does not sit unused for a long period of time.

I am getting up in the years and no longer feel too comfortable climbing up on the roof of my RV. I do not want to just repair the existing unit but instead want to replace it with a new one. My question is:

Should I purchase a direct replacement (Dometic 15000 BTU Duo Therm Brisk 2 Air RV Air Conditioner Complete)
or

Dometic Commercial Grade 15000btu
or

Dometci Penguin II High Capacity
or perhaps a

Coleman unit.

All would have to be ducted models but no heat pump.
I would appreciate any recommendations you might have or even any additional units I have not seen yet but high quality.

I will be doing the installation myself(with the help of my two sons and a grandson or two).

Thank you! ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine
23 REPLIES 23

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thing to check is to make real sure that whatever unit you get it will be compatible with the Air Plenum that is currently there or that you ensure a proper Air Plenum can be installed and correctly matched to your existing duct work.

I would not want someone trying to jury rig a new Air Plenum to marry up a new roof unit to the existing duct work.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have the Dometic "Comfort Conrol" digital thermostat which I like very much. I think I can keep it if I change out the control unit in the ceiling - that at least is what I was told. If not, I would get the new digital thermostat with it.

On my unit, it is the fan shaft that is freezing up with prolonged non-use. Moving it and lubing it frees it up until the next time it sits. I just got back from 4 months in Florida and the trailer is now in the barn until late June. I know I will have to get up on the roof again to free it so I want it replaced. Also, since the unit is 11 years old, with my luck, I could fix the motor, and then something else will go. I think I would prefer a new, modern, more efficient unit.

I think I am leaning towards the new Brisk Air II unit as it is almost a direct replacement for what I have and, with a control box fix, can work with my existing thermostat. Most places I have checked with sell it with the new digital thermostat though, so I would have a choice.

Thank you for all the responses so far. They have been very helpful. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I've had to do the roof thing since my TT was 1 y/o and I still need to do it this year.
Are they doing anything different to the new ones so we don't have to do this?

Oh and don't try to free it by using the blades to turn it, they'll break.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chris is one of several recently who like the Dometic line over Coleman/RVP. I personally like the durability of Coleman and the parts availability seems a little better. But ours is LOUD. A quieter brand would appeal to me. Coleman hs two fan speeds and Dometic has three. That low speed might be quieter.

I had the blower bearings go "bad" in a Coleman A/C. The porous sleeve bearings must have gotten fouled with something that became sticky. Completely dismantling the motor, soaking and crocus clothing the sleeves and shaft, still left it where it'd stick. If the unit was mine, I'd try cleaning the coils with a temporary lubrication of the blower. If cleaning led to colder air, then replace the blower motor. I spent way too many hours on those sleeve bearings before giving up and ordering a new motor.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I would go with the Briskair II- pretty nice unit. While it should be plug and play with the old inside assembly, you can install the new Dometic digital t-stat- the only disadvantage to going with a new inside assembly is that you are stuck with the Dometic t-stat- with the original assembly, you can use a standard one (i.e., hunter, et. al.)
-- Chris Bryant

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will also have to replace the 'stat and control box, yours is not compatible with new ones.

Jim

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Getting your old Tstat to work with a newer unit may be a problem so check compatibility first.

I had much the same problem last year with one of my 12 year old Dometic heat pumps. By putting 1/4" spacers under the front fan motor mount it no longer rubbed the fan housing which was making it hard to turn. Tried oiling for several years and this would help but not for long. This solution has solved the problem for a couple of cents.

Try spinning the shaft before and after raising it up. I think you will be able to tell how much longer it keeps spinning. I could not hear it dragging or hitting and the rubber motor mounts were good. The pan/base in that area looks to be slightly bent/sagging.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I replaced the fans in my ten year old units. But I see your point about replacing with new. I'd go with direct replacement.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Have you tried "flipping" the fan by hand from inside the RV?

If I were to replace the air conditioner I would upgrade to a heat pump model.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.