Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

running an air conditioner on 250 feet of cord

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Obviously voltage drop is going to be an issue.

If I have a 20 amp 120 volt outlet, could I use #10 wire and place an autoformer at the RV end to deal with voltage drop?

What about using just a 15 amp outlet?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.
21 REPLIES 21

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Using an autoformer epically with a 15 amp outlet will get you the click of darkness or a risk of a house call from a company that still does those (Fire Dept). Hopefully not the house call.

I would run it off a 20 amp outlet with at least 10ga wire if not 8ga wire. Let me do the calculations.
250 foot run is 500 feet round trip. Here are voltage drops figures for 10 amps of load, Most A/C's run a bit more than that.

10GA 1.6 volt (That should do it)
8GA .3141 (even better)
6ga .2 (Still better)

I rounded slightly

Information source Powerstream dot com chart
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I did this once in a boatyard in Los Angeles. 235' from the receptacle. I was forced to use FOUR GAUGE coupled to a 30-amp twist lock receptacle*. Even then with the A/C I had to watch voltage carefully. The refrigerator was OK but not with low batteries in addition or a water heater element.

*Mating the two was a real exercise.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi smk,

I have considered doing double conversion as well--and replacing the msw inverter with a pure sine wave unit. I'd probably have to bump up to a bigger converter to do it long term.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
250', #10 wire, 12 amps, drops about 6.5 volts. If the supply is good you should have no trouble. Voltage booster has its place but will draw more amps to make up for lost voltage. This could have your 12 amp draw too close to 15 amp to avoid tripping a breaker. True 20a should work either way. Continuous wire would be preferred over five EHD extension cords cobbled together.

I do wonder how long your solar/converter/inverter would hold up running the air.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You could consider running 240 volts to a step down transformer to 120 volts.
This would basically cut voltage drop in half.
At the rig end install transformer and distribution panel with 30-TT receptacle.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
In my experience, the 15 amp outlet slowly drops voltage. After about 10 minutes it's typically lower than I would be comfy with. maybe I could have dropped more stuff out of the circuit before hand though. If I were you, I would consider a hard start capacitor, running the fan on low, and even consider the fan delay circuit that smkettner shared here a couple years ago.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
I thought you were buried in snow up there. Why would you need an air conditioner? :B
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch