cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rust!! How to deal with it??

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a complete crabbing set up from a friend, 15' inflatable, traps,gps,depth finder,30 hp motor,the whole deal,, Only issue I have is the trailer he gave me is Very rusted from salt water,, nothing rusted through, but heavily rusted,,,, My question is,,,, Sand Blast or wire wheel?
KDS makes a paint they claim you can paint over rust,, and Rustoleum has Rust Stop paint..
Common sense is to remove old rust,,, but has any body delt with heavy rust and what is the fastest most economical solution??
HBF has a portable blaster for $40,,, but the KDS paint is really expensive,,,
If I could just paint over it and forget it,, then thats the easiest, But easiest might just be a waste of time???
Oh yeah, I have purchased new bearing and race sets, along with a new wiring and LED light set, tires and wheels are on order..
I even need to go to DMV to get a new plate,,, rusted.

I plan to tow it behind my trailer, about 120 miles one way to the coast. All I will be putting on the trailer is crab pots and a storage bin,, not much more than 500 lbs at the most,, I will haul boat and motor in the bed of the pick up..
19 REPLIES 19

MTNHNTR
Explorer
Explorer
From someone who has had a painted boat trailer used to launch in salt water - get a galvanized trailer and not worry anymore.
2000 F-350, SC, 4x4, SRW, PSD, AT, Air Bags, Edge Evolution.
2012 Lance 1050S nicely equiped
Honda EU2000i CARB Gen.

da_bees
Explorer
Explorer
A used boat trailer that has seen only fresh water can be bought for $150 which may be a cheaper and longer lasting option.

remdog_1
Explorer
Explorer
I know you are on left coast, place in PA called Eastwood. I also play with old cars besides camping and their rust proofing products are great. Like above I used POR on floorboards of old car and it ate up the rust. Try Eastwood.com

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
POR-15 works great but yes it does have high price.

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
best way is to sand or bead blast, prime and paint, if you cant do that then a stiff brush to ensure the rust is fully removed or it will continue