cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sheared the pin bolt for the landing gear tie rod.

1100Sabre
Explorer
Explorer
Just got to the next spot and was unhooking. Got cleared from the truck and when I started lettin it down I heard a "tink" sound in the front storage. Sure enough just as I thought, sheared the little bolt in the rod that ties the two landing gears together. Note to self..... ALWAYS BRING TOOLBOX!!!
Ok, so I'm digging through the silverware drawer and find a chair leveling bolt foot almost the exact size as the bolt that broke. I got it put in and got everything leveled. First stop in town tomorrow will be the hardware store.....
We are getting to the age of things are starting to wear out or break. I've had to do a few little minor things this year already and I'm sure more to come. We've been pretty lucky with just the few things we've had go wrong.
2015 4X4 Chevrolet Duramax/Allison 3500HD Crew Cab SRW
2007 Sportsman Sportster KZ 33P Toy Hauler
"It's not the destination, it's the journey."
4 REPLIES 4

1100Sabre
Explorer
Explorer
calamus wrote:
get grade 2 bolt its shear grade. Grab an extra figure out what caused it to bind up and break.

On my way do Lowes to get the hardware. As for what caused it, I think switching from up to down too fast and it appears the little bolt was wearng anyway. I was thinking of going with grade 8's but I'd better stay with something that will shear if necessary.
2015 4X4 Chevrolet Duramax/Allison 3500HD Crew Cab SRW
2007 Sportsman Sportster KZ 33P Toy Hauler
"It's not the destination, it's the journey."

raroberts
Explorer
Explorer
Same thing happened to me, camping in desert with no spare bolts. Had to use the pin that holds the bedroom sliding door open. I didn't hear anything, but the trailer only had one leg down, holding up the trailer. Didn't notice until I pulled the truck away from the trailer. scary
08 F450 4X4 Lariat
07 Stellar 37' 5W Toyhauler
95 XR600R
03 XR400
07 660 Rhino
75 Z1B

calamus
Explorer
Explorer
get grade 2 bolt its shear grade. Grab an extra figure out what caused it to bind up and break.
2015 3500HD Chevy Dually Duramax, 2008 Sundance 2014 22'SSX bennington pontoon

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
YUP a 10-24 capscrew works just fine