cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Signaling truckers it's ok to change lanes

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I signal truckers when they are clear to change lanes after passing me by using my headlight switch. I am thinking about installing a momentary ON switch to control a double pole relay in the headlight circuit. It is hard to reach down to the headlight switch and it was not made for high usage. I have a 12vdc relay with the contacts rated at 25 amps and the momentary switches are readably available.

Can anyone think of an easier way of doing what I want?
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
49 REPLIES 49

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have them pull in when they were 20 feet short of clear.. However that was when I was in a car not a motor home.

Day or night, IT helps. Be sure to thank them when they flash you over too.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
They don't need it during the day but it can't hurt. They know how long they are and when they are clear. I used to think they were jerks when they would pull right back in with a foot or so clearance but now I just realize they are skilled (or at least that's what I tell myself). At night it is quite a bit more helpful.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

revump
Explorer
Explorer
It is an act that is appreciated by truckers ... many times they do the same thing for me
Bob

Ric_Flair
Explorer
Explorer
If just this simple courtesy among fellow travelers pulling trailers (big and small) reduces the stress just a bit for everyone, isn't it worth it?
2013 GMC 3500 DRW 4x4 SLT Duramax
2013 Road Warrior 415 Toy Hauler
2013 Kawasaki 4010 Mule

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
Your signal doesn't tell the trucker that it's safe to move over... it's his job to make that determination.

Your signal lets him know that you are aware of his intentions and that you are safely out of his way, giving him one less vehicle to worry about.

It's just common courtesy, and it's doubly important at night.
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Who said you take any signal from another motorist as the (trucker or otherwise) as Carte Blanc to safety? I didn't hear anyone claiming this! That would be the same as taking everything you read on here as the absolute truth. ๐Ÿ™‚
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
I just figure truck drivers do not need me to help them. They are skilled drivers with their vehicle and so I do not flash. At the same time I am responsible and will decide when I come back into the lane when I am passing and not rely on the Prius I am passing, flashing me, to determine my safety.

RickSo
Explorer
Explorer
I always flash high beams during the day when getting passed to let truckers in safely and flash the hazards three times at night. Also, flash the hazards three times to say thanks when getting the flash to move in while passing.

Our rig is 71ft long and appreciate the courtesy of other people on the road. I actually get a lot of truckers on the road calling me on the CB to ask questions about the RV and where were heading.
Rick
----------------------------------------
2015 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, 500/1850
2015 GMC 3500HD Denali 4x4 Dually
2012 Excel W41GKE Wild Cargo Toy Hauler
2010 BMW K1300GT / 2008 BMW R1200GS
2016 Polaris RZR 1000S

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
I don't signal anything to truckers. If they are worth anything as a driver, they will know instinctively when it is safe to change lanes. Routinely they prove my point when they suddenly change lanes with very little room for error. Is it obvious that I have little regard for truckers?

Sure, there are some good and some bad.

I would challenge you to go just one day without using a product or item that was NOT delivered by a truck.

LOL He would be naked and afraid.

Truck drivers don't have an easy job so I try to help them all I can.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
Personally speaking (CDL 19 years). While I appreciate the courtesy, at night I'd rather people "blink" instead of "flash" the high beams and blind me.

Drivers in general should all behave better and leave some room around their vehicles to give them a space cushion.

Have a great day and be safe.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
In my younger days I'd always use the low/high beam trick but since driving the motorhome, generally with the toad attached, I almost always do the on-off-on-off routine both day and night. Most times in my travels its been reciprocal. I guess many of you have not had the opportunity to be traveling in mountainous area's where you are being passed or are passing the same truck over and over again....they remember the courtesy!
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
speaking of flashing. :R Never mind.

i saw the strangest thing two days in SC. This young female was bent over by the back of her car along I 26 South, helping an 18 wheel driver who had stopped at the top of the hill and walked back to assist in changing a tire.

That did a heap in my book for OTR truck driver image.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I drive with lights ON so I just flash high beams when truckers/RVs etc. pass and are clear.

If they flash back....OK
If they don't...OK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
intheburbs wrote:

...Ever since I started pulling my TT, I've come to the conclusion that the majority of truckers are complete jerks, and they see everyone else as interlopers in their "office."

I don't think of them as jerks at all. I do think of them as professional drivers that for the most part have a low opinion of RV drivers.

Think about it. They require special training and licensing to drive. In most states all we have to do is come up with a down payment and we can hit the road with 30,000 pounds or more.

I'm sure any professional driver has several stories about stupid stunts performed by an RVer. Also, they are required to sleep after x number of hours on duty and yet they find parking spots filled by RVers.

I'm not saying we don't have the rights to use the roads and the rest areas but if you think about it, the pros have good reason to disrespect RVers in general.

I flash or give a shout on the CB when appropriate.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

2Macs
Explorer
Explorer
I flash my hi beams to let truckers and others towing when its save to change lanes. I also flash my high beams to let a driver know it is okay to pull in front of me to the passing lane. When a trucker flashes me to pull back in front of him, I use my hazards to give a couple of flashes of thank you.

Courtesy to other drivers gets courtesy in return.
Ed & Michele :C