cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

slide won't go over laminate

itzaqueen
Explorer
Explorer
This is in regards to my new laminate floor. The slide that goes over it scratches. But now there is another issue.

My husband and another guy decided to just take that strip of Teflon? resin-like material, off the front of the slide where it touches the floor. Obviously it's a very tough material, so they proceeded to bang on it, thinking if they got it out the slide would be lifted enough to not scrape (their other idea was to torch it out, smart)

Well, to make matters worse,It now won't even slide because it is too tight to the floor in one corner where they did all the banging. I've been reading the comments about what to do to help the slide go over the laminate, but I was too late, the banging went on first. And late.

Then, to make matters worse, my husband decided to try to push the plastic strip back inside the area where it slides, so now all the plastic in the one corner is jammed into the area where it comes in and out. Needless to say, it won't slide out anymore.
Does anyone have any ideas besides calling an RV repair?
10 REPLIES 10

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
itzaqueen wrote:
Doug
It is a 1997 Hurricane Class A motor home. It had carpet and we took it out and installed a thin laminate wannabe pergo. It slides over it nicely, but leaves a small scrape at each end roller. But now that the glide has been tapered with, it's hard to say it would work at all. But thanks for your response.

The problem may be that the type rollers installed were designed for rolling over carpet and NOT a hard surface. So, once you remove the carpet, the rollers will mar the surface. You may have defective rollers or maybe you can find some new rollers to fit on your slide. Doug

itzaqueen
Explorer
Explorer
Doug
It is a 1997 Hurricane Class A motor home. It had carpet and we took it out and installed a thin laminate wannabe pergo. It slides over it nicely, but leaves a small scrape at each end roller. But now that the glide has been tapered with, it's hard to say it would work at all. But thanks for your response.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Call the man Aunt Bee, Just call the man Aunt Bee! :B:S
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Need to know something. What year/brand model RV and was there carpet or tile in place where you installed Laminate? Some rooms do not have rollers and if installed over carpet, it is not a concern from the rubbing as you cannot harm carpet, but going to a hard based product, it will scratch or mar the surface. Some slides you cannot install wood or tile if carpet was used originally. IF it had wood or tile originally, then the odds are you installed it too high. Doug

Moved from Forum Technical Support

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The outside edge of the slide needs to be adjusted down slightly. This will cause the front (inside) edge to rise when it comes in. Make very small adjustments as it often wont take much to make a big difference - or goof up something else.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
itzaqueen wrote:
This is in regards to my new laminate floor. The slide that goes over it scratches. But now there is another issue.

My husband and another guy decided to just take that strip of Teflon? resin-like material, off the front of the slide where it touches the floor. Obviously it's a very tough material, so they proceeded to bang on it, thinking if they got it out the slide would be lifted enough to not scrape (their other idea was to torch it out, smart)

Well, to make matters worse,It now won't even slide because it is too tight to the floor in one corner where they did all the banging. I've been reading the comments about what to do to help the slide go over the laminate, but I was too late, the banging went on first. And late.

Then, to make matters worse, my husband decided to try to push the plastic strip back inside the area where it slides, so now all the plastic in the one corner is jammed into the area where it comes in and out. Needless to say, it won't slide out anymore.
Does anyone have any ideas besides calling an RV repair?

Good morning. Slides, depending on the manufacturer will have some adjustment. There are obviously limits on how far up it will go because of the top cross member but a quarter inch maybe possible. Without knowing the manufacturer it's hard to give you directions but the answer is probably down below assuming it is a rail type system). That Teflon piece will have to be reattached once the height has been reset. Consider contacting a competent shop as they may need to help you out. In many cases it's not that hard if you know what to look for.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Cat_Lady
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to read some of Ernie Ekberg's post on this forum. He's a pro at flooring rvs and has been very helpful to the folks on this forum.

Good luck.

Cat Lady
As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way.

dalehelman
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO I think it is time to find someone who knows what they are doing. Easier said than done I am afraid. Good luck.
Dale & Sandi
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2015 Little Guy T@B Sofitel
Liberty Lake (Spokane) WA.

DIY Manual replacement for Workhorse Auto Park emergency brake.

Stay In Play Duo Toad Braking System

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
So basically he has screwed the pooch? That plastic piece is a wear strip that is in place to allow the slide to glide up and on when oening and closing. So what he has done is now allowed the slide out to drop, thereby jamming it out of position. At this point i am not really sure what he can do except take the slide completely out. Yes, that means he is going to have to build some support under the slide out for it to rest on while he repairs his damage. Next he is going to have to take a lot of things apart to allow the slide room to move out and away from the trailer body. Now he can access and fix what he has damaged. Being sure to install brand new teflon wear strips. In the process you might as well remove the laminant flooring as it is obvious from your post that it is too thick to clear the slide room. Then install something not as thick, like maybe Allure vinyl plank flooring. Good luck fixing this mess.