cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smells like bad fridge but no other symptoms

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Subject is a 6 week old Class C. We have been camping continuously in it for the past month or so. We drove it to town for groceries. It was parked in a flat Wal-Mart lot, close enough to level for sure. On the way home we kept wondering what in the area smelled like rotten eggs. That's as close as I can describe it, like SO2.

Back at the CG, we realized the smell was inside the rig, not out in the environment. I plugged into shore power. We can't notice the smell now. Although, out of concern, I shut the fridge off a few minutes ago. But it did seem to be going away.

Before turning it off, I took the exterior panel off the fridge compartment. No smell, no yellow, no nothing. Inside the fridge, everything is likewise looking fine. Temps were quite cold in both compartments. Other than smell, have I looked for all the possible clues for a fridge going bad?

It doesn't smell quite like batteries gassing. But not all that different either. It's possible. Like the poster of a month ago with a similar situation, it's thunderstorming right now, but in AZ instead of FL, lol. So I can't check the batteries. It does not smell like grey or waste water, or pet urine. Anyway, focusing on the fridge for now, what else can I do to check it or watch it? We'd like to keep using it, obviously, if it is not the problem.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.
13 REPLIES 13

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bad Fridge is Ammonia, Rotting Eggs is Sulfur Dioxide, Batteries, Sewage system (Black/gray tank) or bacteria in water heater with high sulfur water.

NOTE: I did not put those in the proper order, I think I listed 1,3,2.. but I could be wrong.

Unless. of course, you have rotting eggs in the fridge.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
We sanitized it before filling. And we've used the WH every day for weeks. It was turned off during the smell episode though. But I do think it is somehow water related as suggested by several of you. Maybe a vent check valve, or P-trap. Today we drove quite a bit, and no smell. I am closing the book on it.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Probably hydrogen sulfide gas and if I had to pick a culprit, it would be the water in the water heater. Did you sanitize the potable water system before filling?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
RVnRobin wrote:
Humm... Your rig is only 6 weeks old?
I would guess instead of some appliance issue, you are smelling the outgassing Formaldehyde or some other manufacturing chemical from the new construction. Smells sorta like SO2 but not really. Sometimes what some people call the "new car" smell is just construction chemicals. Cloth, foam, paneling, laminate, etc will all outgas for a short time. When you get a chance, just open all the windows and vents and let the breeze blow thru. It will go away after a couple days.

Yeah, we had some smells at first. But we have been camping in it for 5 weeks. It came right off the assembly line to our dealer, and we left for this trip the next day. Had to escape winter before we couldn't get away. ๐Ÿ™‚ So anyway, that's not it. This smell came suddenly, yesterday. We shall see what today's travels bring.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
For us most of our "strange" smells always seem to be plumbing related. Here is a list of a few I've had:
  • P-trap has crud in it;
  • Above the P-trap a film of yuck;
  • Air check valve under sinks not closing;
  • Hair/soap in shower trap;
  • Hot water tank full of crud and smells when running hot water, and;
  • Toilet not holding water.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

RVnRobin
Explorer
Explorer
Humm... Your rig is only 6 weeks old?
I would guess instead of some appliance issue, you are smelling the outgassing Formaldehyde or some other manufacturing chemical from the new construction. Smells sorta like SO2 but not really. Sometimes what some people call the "new car" smell is just construction chemicals. Cloth, foam, paneling, laminate, etc will all outgas for a short time. When you get a chance, just open all the windows and vents and let the breeze blow thru. It will go away after a couple days.
So much to experience, so little time.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
When a fridge fails and smells, it a powerful ammonia odor; not rotten eggs.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
I got a chance to look at the house and chassis batteries, after the fact of course. They look fine, but I didn't open the caps. Yeah, the smell did go away when parked, and hooked up to shore power. After sitting with the fridge off for an hour, I turned it back on and still no smell.

The stove burners were off at the time, my DW went back to check while we were driving and smelling it. The HW tank was off too. Well, we have to drive tomorrow to a new CG, so I'll be observant. We didn't imagine the smell.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Hi BFL13,

Charging a battery that has failed will produce more hydrogen sulfide gas, not less.

That would suggest, since the smell went away after plugging into shore power, it is not the battery? Back to the hot water tank? Sink P-traps?

Not supposed to drive with any ventilation caps or windows open in case of the sink/bathtub P-traps getting sucked out and allowing tank smells up into the rig. Once parked, P-traps fill and smell goes away?
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi BFL13,

Charging a battery that has failed will produce more hydrogen sulfide gas, not less.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Google "RV rotten egg smell"--it's all about the hot water tank. If it is battery, you just plugged into shore power, and the smell went-- no load on battery now, so that might be another thing.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Sounds more like a propane leak. Could a burner have been bumped on by accident?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Check your batteries. A bad battery cell might be boiling. Also check the vent pipes for the grey and black tanks. If you think it could be a tank smell those vortex caps (looks sort of like a weather vane) definitely help lift the odors from the tanks. And look in the outside base of the frig for any "yellow signs" which would indicate a coolant lose in the frig.
Good luck