cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So my fridge just died

Jetstreamer
Explorer
Explorer
Out dry camping in the middle of nowhere (well almost) and I noticed my Dometic RM 2862 not holding it temperature. So I go take a look in back and I see the telltale yellow powder residue around the propane burner (had it running on gas all weekend).
Anyway, so I'm assuming it's shot.
So my predicament is a big weeklong trip planned over the upcoming holiday and I need to find the best way to replace it.
Should I just buy a whole new unit?
Are these as good as those "Amish" made units?
I'm in the Milwaukee area what would be the quickest way to find a replacement?
I'm pretty sure I can install it myself.
Any input is well appreciated.
15 REPLIES 15

Jetstreamer
Explorer
Explorer
So I got on the phone this morning calling around for options on a new fridge and believe it or not Camping World had one in stock and for hundreds less than several other local dealers wanted for next day delivery.
Picked it up and spent all day installing it!
Good to go!
Thanks for all the advice
J.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Plan B would be a giant cooler of ice. No need to cancel.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Best of luck to you. Vacations are precious.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered a new Domestic 2862 on a Wednesday and it was delivered on Monday. Even with delivery charges it was better price than anywhere else. Removing and replace takes two. Adventure RV $1199. Plus shipping. I'm sure they ship from Indiana so your area as was mine Kankakee IL easy delivery but it's tailgate delivery and #160 with packaging you need a dock or fork truck.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

Jetstreamer
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:
So the Dometic ownership experience has been a huge success.......it didn't burn to the ground. 🙂 You had a good failure so in your situation it's easier to throw a frig in. Like midnight said, I'd probably do 250 miles if needed. We gotta camp!

You know and I was just going to install a fire extinguishing system just for that reason.
Go figure.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
So the Dometic ownership experience has been a huge success.......it didn't burn to the ground. 🙂 You had a good failure so in your situation it's easier to throw a frig in. Like midnight said, I'd probably do 250 miles if needed. We gotta camp!

Romer1
Explorer
Explorer
Was just at National rv refrigeration a month ago. Leon is great to work with and had a good selection of rebuilt units ready for installation. If nothing else, give him a call.
Merrill (KC9NPT)
2000 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
2014 Chev Equinox LT AWD

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
so leave at 6am and get there for lunch 234miles ain,t nothing.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
call national refrig in shipshewana ind. they,ll fix you up and your not far away.

not far away? That's 234 miles! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
call national refrig in shipshewana ind. they,ll fix you up and your not far away.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
BTW: check that your battery is fully charged and converter working. The fridge needs full 12 volt to run thermostat. any amount of Low 12 voltage and the fridge will come on but when it reaches the temp set and shuts off it will not come back on again.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Jetstreamer wrote:
Out dry camping in the middle of nowhere (well almost) and I noticed my Dometic RM 2862 not holding it temperature. So I go take a look in back and I see the telltale yellow powder residue around the propane burner (had it running on gas all weekend).
Anyway, so I'm assuming it's shot.
So my predicament is a big weeklong trip planned over the upcoming holiday and I need to find the best way to replace it.
Should I just buy a whole new unit?
Are these as good as those "Amish" made units?
I'm in the Milwaukee area what would be the quickest way to find a replacement?
I'm pretty sure I can install it myself.
Any input is well appreciated.

You don't have to drive anywhere or worry about dealerships being closed!!!!!

Call the closest CG and a few other CG's close by and ask each one who they use for "RV Mobile Repair" get the numbers and start calling them. They will go ANYWHERE you are parked.

Mobile Repair guys have THE best connections for acquiring anything RV you may need. And of course he might just tell you its something else and he can fix it. Trust me if you do need a fridge they WILL find one for you!!!:B

They WILL be working. RV Mobile Repair Guys never take off holidays!

I'm from around the Milwaukee area and all the RV Mobile Repair guys where you are at are IMHO A+.

My MH has not seen the inside of a repair shop since I bought her. I have ALL my maintenance and repairs done by RV Mobile Repair at my CG site where ever that may be. Sit back and open a cold one where you are at while the mobile repair guy takes care of whatever you need.

Good Luck I hope the info helps and that it is not a major repair/replace for you. :C

Toddupton
Explorer
Explorer
You could drive down to Indiana and get it done in a day.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Replacement of the refrigerator is likely the quickest - start calling the various RV outlets and find out if someone has a unit that they are willing to install b4 your trip.
Kevin