cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

So, Where's All the Oil Going?

Makin__Do
Explorer
Explorer
Like all of you, before going on a trip I check all fluid levels. My oil dip stick indicated "full". After 527 miles I checked the oil level again while fueling up. Oil was down 1-1/2 quarts. Strange, since this engine has never need any oil before 1200 miles. Went another 400 miles, down another 1-1/2 quarts. Brought the oil level up to full again and drove another 225 miles. Down more than a quart.

It's now clear there's a major problem. What I have is a Chrysler 360, with 4bbl carb. Rebuilt by a local engine shop (bottom end, I did the top end)about 10k miles ago. It runs smooth, quiet and strong. Pulled all the plugs expecting to find at least one of them badly fouled with oil. All the plugs are fine. There are no oil spots on the ground after the rig sits for an extended period of time. No oil on the back of the rig, which might indicate the rear main seal is bad. In fact, the entire under carriage is rather clean. The rig has dual exhaust. The left side has no soot to speak of. Now, the right side is a different story. I can rub off soot with my finger. This might indicate an oil leak in the right bank. Yet, I see no smoke while driving down the road and the plugs are good.
So, where's all the oil going? Any thoughts on this?

P.S. Can't take it back to the rebuilder. He retired and closed the shop.
16 REPLIES 16

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Old Dodge gas V-8's were always famous as oil eaters but not at 400 miles, does sound like PVC, replace it and see what happens, most Dodges do eat about a quart every 900 to 1500 miles depending on age and such.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Inspect your PCV valve!
360s also had issues with the cross over exhaust in the intake manifold.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker