cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar question

PamfromVA
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading out west for vacation and will be staying in several no hookup sites. although we have a generator, our camper is not in any way wired for solar - it doesn't even have a 12 volt plug. I was looking at this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A3UGHOA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p86_d0_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=c...

to use when the generator is off overnight to power my husband's cpap machine and perhaps the tv and directv box. has anyone used this product or perhaps knows of something similar?
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2017 Dodge Ram 3500
One DH
two very spoiled camping dogs
54 REPLIES 54

PamfromVA
Explorer
Explorer
I'm listening...but not understanding. I am solar stupid and do not want to spend the money to make any mods to this camper. Take my word for it, the next one will be prewired for solar to make my life easier. How would I hook up the inverter to the batteries for a temporary solution?
2017 Dodge Ram 3500
One DH

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
Pam there is a way to run some medium sized loads (like a CPAP) from your batteries (but not the Air conditioning). It is called an inverter. You hook it to the batteries and it gives you wall plug type power for a while from your batteries.

Jim

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
PamfromVA wrote:
What do you think?
I'm not sure you're listening to what we're saying.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
PamfromVA wrote:
Found this company while searching:

http://www.goalzero.com/shop/p/140/Goal-Zero-Yeti-1250-Solar-Generator/2:8/

I can get a government discount of $300. I think this would run a couple of appliances and can be recharged when we are running the generator a couple of hours in the evening when we get back from site seeing.

What do you think?

It looks like a 100 AH battery with 20A controller (aka charger) to be used with solar panel, but no solar panel. $1000 for this (after rebate) is way too much. Besides, people already told you that you can't rely on solar in your situation, so why paying for controller? Get an extra 100 AH battery for $150, and charge it from generator or shore power when you can.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
But she wants to run the TV too. That needs an inverter. I would think two batteries would do the trick with some charging from the converter every couple of days but it doesn't seem to be working for them. Seems the batteries may be shot or low on capacity IMO. Maybe the converter isn't up to task. Pam, what converter do you have? Make and model. They're typically located near your fuse panel.

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
I think we're all "big-dealing" a very small problem. Pam is not the first person to take their CPAP camping. A simple Google search yields a lot of articles with people detailing how they camp from one or two days on a basic group 24 deep cycle to 4 or 5 nights using Li-Po batteries.

I'll bet her hubby's CPAP draws no more than 2.5 amps so that's 20 amps for an 8 hr sleep. He should easily get 2 nights and come close to 50% discharge. She could then hook up a good charger to the generator and recharge in 2-3 hrs. all for less than $200.

IMHO,
Eric
2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
You could get the cpap battery but then how do you charge it when not plugged in? Generator would do it but that is a long run time.

I recommend a small 300w inverter connected to just the circuits you need to run the tv and cpap. Some cpap run direct off 12v so you possibly could just pull some 12v wire.

Small inverter I recommend GoPower 300w $172 and 15a transfer switch $49

For solar charging...

PWM system:
2x 120w $307 panels 20a controller $80

This would allow you to skip the dedicated cpap battery.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
PamfromVA wrote:
We have two batteries but they will not run the cpap or anything else AC at night.
get an inverter.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

PamfromVA
Explorer
Explorer
We have two batteries but they will not run the cpap or anything else AC at night. Our camper is only set up to run the normal 12v items like lights and the water pump. Since the battery for the cpap is a couple hundred I thought this battery could be used for everything in the evening and we could keep it plugged in the house for when the power goes out there.
2017 Dodge Ram 3500
One DH

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
Pam it is probably less expensive and gives more capacity to expand the built in battery capacity in your RV, and possibly upgrade the the battery charger that is built in (called a converter), or add a beefy portable battery charger (a big one, 40 amps).

Even if you do not want to add extra wiring to your camper, you could locate some types of batteries near the CPAP, charge them with a portable battery charger plugged into a wall socket, and then run the machine from them over night. Just be sure they are the kind of battery that can be used indoors.

Jim

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
PamfromVA wrote:

I can get a government discount of $300. I think this would run a couple of appliances and can be recharged when we are running the generator a couple of hours in the evening when we get back from site seeing.

What do you think?

If you're going to recharge it with your generator, why don't you just buy another battery instead for $100.

Eric
2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

PamfromVA
Explorer
Explorer

What do you think?
2017 Dodge Ram 3500
One DH

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Some CPAPs have batteries that can be interchanged and charged in a battery charger. For $1300, I'd consider buying more batteries (assuming one of those lasts a night so one doesn't have to wake up to change it out), then a battery charger or two, and when one has access to generator or shore power, recharge at least 2-3 batteries at a time. Yes, batteries can be expensive ($375), but, JMHO, that is the simplest route to go.

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
My CPAP (Philips Respironics) uses 5 AMPS. The Solar you are asking about is JUNK. JMO
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a plain jane standard definition directv box it probably draws around 25-30W if I remember correctly. The TV can draw anywhere from 20W-100W or more all by itself depending on size and whether or not it's an LCD or tube. I wouldn't be surprised if the TV/sat box combo draws 12 amps or more while running. Lights can be fairly heavy draws too. LED's reduce that draw dramatically. Don't know how much TV you plan to watch, how many lights or how long the lights will be on, and with the cpap you're going to need a 2nd battery minimum AND a working charging system.