cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar question

PamfromVA
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading out west for vacation and will be staying in several no hookup sites. although we have a generator, our camper is not in any way wired for solar - it doesn't even have a 12 volt plug. I was looking at this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A3UGHOA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p86_d0_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=c...

to use when the generator is off overnight to power my husband's cpap machine and perhaps the tv and directv box. has anyone used this product or perhaps knows of something similar?
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2017 Dodge Ram 3500
One DH
two very spoiled camping dogs
54 REPLIES 54

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on smk's post, I'd also suggest testing the WFCO to make sure it is functioning properly before heading out.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Three years is not old. It is possible to kill them much earlier though.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Ah, another dreaded WFCO 55. These are notorious for not going to boost mode when expected such as batteries down 50%.

Give it a test before you spend money but I think you will want a new converter if you expect a decent charge from the generator. Turn a light on until battery gets down to 12.2v to 12.0v zone. Then run the generator while watching voltage. Battery should climb to 14.0+ volts within 30 to 60 minutes and you are good to go. If battery is 13.6 max then you have no boost charge and it will take 8+ hours for a 90% charge.

IOTA, PowerMax, Progressive Dynamics are the best replacements. These charge at 14.4+ volts every time to get you to 90%+ in 2 to 3 hours.

PamfromVA
Explorer
Explorer
our batteries will be three years old when we head out on this trip. I'm assuming they should be replaced...with what?
2017 Dodge Ram 3500
One DH

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
So that is a pretty decent sized 3 phase converter. It will do an ok job of recharging deeply discharged batteries and get them up past 60 or 70% charged pretty quickly. I have the same one and it's a bit slow getting the rest of the way charged but I bet it will work fine to get started. When you have full hookups it will top off the batteries as they need.

So the question will be do you have enough battery to do what you want each evening without hookups. Then it comes down to the particular CPAP machine and TV. You just might have enough already in the RV.

Jim

PamfromVA
Explorer
Explorer
Converter - WFCO WF-8955
2017 Dodge Ram 3500
One DH

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I would not rule out solar. Although many get by fine with a generator and two batteries. Probably best to start with reviewing the current converter and charging system. Post your converter model to discover if you will need to run the generator 2 hours or 12 hours for a recharge. If you will be running the generator a lot for the air conditioning then solar and the rest may not matter much.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pam, just to reiterate again that your solution is not a solar one. You need more battery, (possibly a better shore charger?), and a medium-small inverter that has enough watt rating for both CPAP and satellite TV. No solar. People here will suggest optimum items in either group, I don't know because my use is different.

PamfromVA
Explorer
Explorer
ok, thanks all. I'll let you know what we end up doing.
2017 Dodge Ram 3500
One DH

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
eric1514 wrote:
Most CPAP machines are already 12v and use a wall wart to convert 110AC into 12DC. She probably doesn't need an inverter. She probably needs a 12v outlet next to the bed and just run the generator an hour a day.

Her rig has no 12V plug, and she wants to watch a satellite TV as well. So she does need a small inverter, - very small PSW 200W inverter. About $200 cost. The cheapest and easiest way would be to wire inverter to the battery and run extension cord to the TV inside. More elegant solution would be adding a transfer relay and feed the inverter output to all the 120V plugs, this is more work and slightly more cost. I am not familiar with CPAP, but it sounds like 200W inverter can feed both CPAP and satellite receiver, so she won't have to install 12V plug - which is not much work, but still some work. Alright, get a 300W inverter. How difficult can it be?

Pam - 2oldman is right. Pre-wired for solar means a cable from roof to battery, usually thinner than you want. If you get your next rig pre-wired, you have to specify what you want them to do. Because RV manufacturers and dealer shops don't know much about these things.

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
I run a cpap and heater all night long on an inverter and even run satellite/tv or dvd player for a couple hours beforehand and never had a power issue. NO SOLAR NEEDED!
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
eric1514 wrote:
Most CPAP machines are already 12v and use a wall wart to convert 110AC into 12DC. She probably doesn't need an inverter. She probably needs a 12v outlet next to the bed and just run the generator an hour a day.

Her rig has no 12V plug, and she wants to watch a satellite TV as well. So she does need a small inverter, - very small PSW 200W inverter. About $200 cost. The cheapest and easiest way would be to wire inverter to the battery and run extension cord to the TV inside. More elegant solution would be adding a transfer relay and feed the inverter output to all the 120V plugs, this is more work and slightly more cost. I am not familiar with CPAP, but it sounds like 200W inverter can feed both CPAP and satellite receiver, so she won't have to install 12V plug - which is not much work, but still some work. Alright, get a 300W inverter. How difficult can it be?

Pam - if you get your next rig solar-prewired, make sure they know what they are doing, or at least specify what you want them to do, what panels, charger, cables etc. Because usually they don't know these things, in RV shops.

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer

Eric
2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
It's really just 2 short wires and a fuse to connect an inverter to the batteries. The trick is finding a location in a different compartment than the batteries are in, where you could put an inverter big enough to run the deceives you want. The location also has to be convenient for running power plugs from your devices like the CPAP machine.

Jim

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Start here:

Don Rowe site Inverter FAQ
Inverters by Phred
PamfromVA wrote:
Take my word for it, the next one will be prewired for solar to make my life easier.
Prewired for solar means there are 2 small wires from the roof to the basement.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman