cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Source for rectangular RV a/c ducting

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey all, I'm having a bit of trouble locating a source for the narrow rectangular aluminum ducting that is used (usually in the ceilings for A/C units) in RV HVAC systems.

I'm in the process of restoring a 40 year old RV, and am adding a roof A/C unit. The used A/C unit I ended up obtaining is designed for ducted use (though it can be run with a straight down discharge), and since I already plan to take down the interior ceiling, and figured it would be a good time to route a duct line over into the nearby cabinets so I can add A/C ducting around the unit instead of just freezing us out in the dinette :).

Thanks!
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL
16 REPLIES 16

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chris Bryant wrote:
If you only have a short distance to go, I would make it using corrugated plastic sign board, available at Office Depot, and line it with Reflectix.
Otherwise, you could just build a nice ceiling assembly out of wood.

I had thought about taking a page from my grand mother's old house, but I'm removing insulation from our ceiling to add it, and figured that preinsulated ducting would be the least amount of sacrifice.

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
If you only have a short distance to go, I would make it using corrugated plastic sign board, available at Office Depot, and line it with Reflectix.
Otherwise, you could just build a nice ceiling assembly out of wood.
-- Chris Bryant

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
LarryJM wrote:
JoeChiOhki wrote:
Hey all, I'm having a bit of trouble locating a source for the narrow rectangular aluminum ducting that is used (usually in the ceilings for A/C units) in RV HVAC systems.

I'm in the process of restoring a 40 year old RV, and am adding a roof A/C unit. The used A/C unit I ended up obtaining is designed for ducted use (though it can be run with a straight down discharge), and since I already plan to take down the interior ceiling, and figured it would be a good time to route a duct line over into the nearby cabinets so I can add A/C ducting around the unit instead of just freezing us out in the dinette :).

Thanks!

Do you have the A/C discharge plenum specific to the A/C unit you obtained for ducted installation. Improper installation can cause all sorts of issues such as evap freezing up, poor cooling, etc. This includes very specific duct sizes and min number of registers again of a very specific size.

Larry

If you mean the plate that has the one baffle on it that breaks up the return and discharge air, then yes. There was no other hardware on this unit when it was removed from the roof of the fifth wheel (I investigated the donor unit to make sure that no parts were missing).

The discharge ducting came up flush to the 14x14 opening in the ceiling and was blocked in place so that the air would get forced into it when you closed the straight down discharge flap. There was two 2x8" rectangular duct lines going out into the ceiling, one towards the bedroom one towards the rear.

4X4Dodger wrote:
Why dont you try to find a wrecked newer travel trailer in your area and salvage the duct work out of that?

I drove quite a long ways just to find an A/C unit. Units up for salvage has been oddly low as of late. I'd have salvaged the ducting from it, but they had already torn the remainder roof off the ceiling out and most of the duct work was gone beyond where the A/C unit was at and what was left wasn't very salvageable.

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why dont you try to find a wrecked newer travel trailer in your area and salvage the duct work out of that?

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I maintain a file of just about everything I have in TT. So I can get replacement or have owners manual on hand. Don't see this question very often. I play'd around on internet and found the same folks that make valves have a division for this stuff. Don't know if they can help or not as I've never used them.

Force Flow RV cool duct product is a leading brand in the RV market and provides secure and optimal air flow. Our polystyrene product is a proven product in the RV markets and provides easy installation. Remember to look for the Force Flow name to make sure you have the authentic and reliable RV cool air ducting product.

http://www.lasallebristol.com/products/air-handling/

Oregon

12399 S.E. Capps Rd

Clackamas, OR 97015

Ph: 503-607-1325

Fax: 503-607-1330
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think I have ever seen sheet metal A/C ductwork- it's usually either formed in place Styrofoam, or corrugated plastic type. When I had to fabricate ductwork, I used a bit more room and fiberglass ductboard, but the stuff I used is fairly thick. Sheet metal will have to be insulated for this application, or you will have serious moisture damage.
-- Chris Bryant

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I'd make it for you free... but the shipping would be expensive.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Very few RV's have METAL ducts in the ceiling. It is usually foam core flat board that is cut to the rectangle you want and then the edges are foil taped or glued. This has to do with WEIGHT and the fact that foam core board at the OEM level is easy to fabricate and install. Metal is not used due to the inherent NOISE that can happen especially in a Motorhome. Not a concern in Towables, but as I stated, weight IS a concern. Some ducting may appear metal, but that is due to the shiny silver inside of the foam core board. Doug

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:
When my father owned his HVAC company he had to form all of his rectangular metal duct work. You might want to call some local metal fabricators who have a break and see if they can make it for you.

Later in his career he switched to insulated duct board which he could fabricate on sight and was already insulated. Much easier to work with. You can get that at a local supply house or Graingers.

Agree on contacting a sheet metal shop. My DS works as sheet metal fabricator in one the make all kinds of specialized ducting. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Great camper and project.

Try some of these places: http://www.rverscorner.com/rvsalvage.html

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
When my father owned his HVAC company he had to form all of his rectangular metal duct work. You might want to call some local metal fabricators who have a break and see if they can make it for you.

Later in his career he switched to insulated duct board which he could fabricate on sight and was already insulated. Much easier to work with. You can get that at a local supply house or Graingers.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
JoeChiOhki wrote:

Thanks!

Do you have the A/C discharge plenum specific to the A/C unit you obtained for ducted installation. Improper installation can cause all sorts of issues such as evap freezing up, poor cooling, etc. This includes very specific duct sizes and min number of registers again of a very specific size.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Contact Heartland and inquire????

LOL, completely forgot I joined the Heartland owners group after I bought that trailer. Wonder if my account still works....

Thanks for reminding me!

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Contact Heartland and inquire????
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31