cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Speed controlling computer fans

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
For years I have been using the Silverstone fm121 as it comes with a remote mounted speed controlling potentiometer, goes as high as 110 CFM and 0.4 amps consumption.

It is fairly quiet for this amount of airflow and there are other fans that draw much more amperage for less airflow and make more noise doing so. I have a fm121 now in the process of failing after many years of faithful service in a harsh environment.

But since i first settled on the Silverstone fm121 as my favorite 120Mm computer fan, Noctua fans have come out. I put a Noctua NF-F12 on my Fridge condenser pushing instead of pulling, and duty cycle dropped while I saved 0.07 amps with this fan over the one provided, and of course it is much much quieter.

Noctua has now offered 2000 and 3000 rpm Industrial versions of the 1500 rpm original. Some are IP67 rated, some 3 wire some 4 wire pwm.

http://noctua.at/en/products/fan/industrial

I am not sure how the other two wires on the 4 wire versions control the speed. in the past when speed controlling non Silverstone computer fans, I used a 24khz PWM motor speed controller and life was good.

These 25KHZ PWM controllers met unfortunate ends due to a case of bumbling halfwitted jackassery, and the 13khz PWM LED dimmers I now have, cause that annoying humming sound from the motor.

Basically I want the 3000 rpm NF-f12 version on a speed control, A controller which is manually adjustable and not huge, does not waste significant amounts of power, and of course, will not cause the humming.

The Noctua NF-F12 3000 rpm version is rated at 0.3 amps and 186.3 cubic meters per hour which translates to 109.9cfm, basically the same as the silverstone fm121, but for 0.1amp less consumption. A little noisier at full speed but perhaps the Tone is more acceptable.

They have a 140Mm 3000 rpm fan capable of 158cfm too which interest me as well. I could cut a larger hole in my shroud to accept a 140Mm fan in place of a 120mm.

IAnother fan i'd love to control properly is an 'Original Delta TFC1212DE 12cm 120mm DC 12V 3.90A 252CFM 4pin PWM with Speed Sensor Server Inverter Axial Case Cooling Fan'
I affectionately call it the screaming banshee.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L5XEKOS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1#Ask

This fan is insanely powerful, sending a dense narrow column of air a good distance at a good speed, but my PWM controller could not tame it enough. It would slow to about 65% speed then turn off, still consuming 2.6 amps, and moving too much air, and making way too much noise, and is mostly unused.

I'd love to be able to slow this insane ~ 4 amp fan down to near whisper quiet levels at acceptable wattage consumption, and also have the godmother of all white noise turbo boost jet engine fans being able to reduce barometric pressure, and drown out neighborhood screaming children having their frequent early morning chernobylesque meltdowns, and barking dogs inside my rig when exhausting at full speed.

IN general I want to learn more about how to best control these fans through the ways their speed/rpm was intended to be controlled by an actual computer via the 2 extra wires provided on these fans.

I am kind of a ventilation Nazi and my lack of understanding about how to best control these 3 and 4 wire fans for full manual speed control, without the sub 22KHZ humm, is bothering me.

Please Ventilate, I mean, enlighten. me.
35 REPLIES 35

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
landyacht318 wrote:
Would the following product be good for feeding that 4th wire the PWM the fan desires?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PWM-0-90-Frequency-1Hz-100KHz-Square-Wave-Signal-Generator-Duty-Cycle-Adjust...

This looks like it should do the trick. Adjustable freq. is nice, so you can tune it to whatever makes the least offensive noise.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NE555-Duty-Cycle-and-Frequency-Adjustable-Module-DIY-Kit-Pulse-Generator/331...

This is pretty much the same thing, without the fancy rotary encoder / knob
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Speed controlling fans. uuummm.

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
Would the following product be good for feeding that 4th wire the PWM the fan desires?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PWM-0-90-Frequency-1Hz-100KHz-Square-Wave-Signal-Generator-Duty-Cycle-Adjust...

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent Sir! Your suggestion may be better than the Krylon answer because the Krylon can lists their product as being suitable for plastic lawn furniture and trash cans and such "all plastics". An opaque dye plastic upholstery tint would be safest with regard to possible imbalance issues.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
The plastic paint MELTS it's way into the plastic. The paint thinness makes imbalance less of a problem. Whatever works. I know RustOleum bed liner makes for one heavy duty general purpose paint for stuff that doesn't move.

Another source is the auto parts store, vinyl dye for redoing automotive dash / upholstery ... not so much paint as a it is a solvent, in spray can form.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The products in this link will help you be more professional in your diagnosis. I must have have 1,000+ sets. They work flawlessly.

http://www.omega.com/pptst/TSDC-9000-16.html

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I give fans the Cheek & Eye, test. There's no-fooling, nerves. Same wattage AC input, IR heat sink temperature less, and decidedly stronger Cheek & Eye stimulation, you have more airflow. The object is not to impress atmospheric molecules, rather keep the device or components from overheating.

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
Future plastic will get the Krylon plastic paint if needed. The appliance epoxy adheres very strongly, no primer should be used. Very tough. covers well, multiple coats not needed black over white.

I cannot notice an vibrations from paint imbalance on new fan, but could on old painted impeller.

Anybody know how static pressure tests are performed on computer fans, rather than Hvac systems?

The airflow vs static pressure do not directly correlate among different fans. I'd love for the ceiling fans to be more effective on those really hot days or when cooking with a little too much heat.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The plastic paint MELTS it's way into the plastic. The paint thinness makes imbalance less of a problem. Whatever works. I know RustOleum bed liner makes for one heavy duty general purpose paint for stuff that doesn't move.

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
Had black appliance epoxy on the shelf already. It has proven durable on my rigs Steel rims.

This time with the latest 180mm SS fan, I wetsanded the impeller with water with a drop of dawn dishsoap and 1500 grit sandpaper, got all oils off. No fisheyes or separation on appliance epoxy paint application. Wiping with alcohol was not enough on previous impeller.

. I still have impeller & ball bearings from failed ap182. I also cut off the spiral focusing faceplate to use in front of newer slower 180mm Silverstone fan as a finger grate, more than a flow focuser.

I currently have a 110 CFM silverstone fm121 on my Ceiling exhausting through a 4 inch opening into a mushroom vent. The fan is fed, Inline, from 1/4 inch away, by a counter rotating single speed 53cfm 120MM arctic cool fan which greatly improves airflow, and noise. The pitch of the SS fan on high is lowered greatly when the counter rotating fan is fired up, pushing air into the SS fan.

The mushroom vent certainly presents a lot of resistance to airflow. I have opened up the interior to present less resistance, but perhaps This Ceiling silverstone can find its way onto my intake shroud, since I know it is quiet enough for that location.
perhaps The Noctua, since it has a much higher static pressure rating would be much better exhausting through this mushroom vent on my ceiling.

The old airflow vs static pressure war.

Ideally The screaming banshee fan could reside pushing air through the mushroom vent, if it could be adequately tamed.

I wonder how the Static pressure rating of Computer fans is measured, and if the published numbers are valid when compared among different brands.

The 2000 rpm nf-f12 has a SP rating of 3.94mm and 71.69cfm for 29.7dba
the 3000 rpm nf-f12 has a SP rating of 7.63MM and 109.9 cfm for 43.5dba

the 2400 rpm FM121 has a Sp rating of 3.26mm and 110.03cfm for 39.5dba
The Delta 6000rpm has a Sp rating of 35.887 and 252CFM for 66.5dba

So understanding how static pressure is measured on these computer fans could have a huge effect if the 2000 rpm Noctua could, based on the SP stats, outperform the faster louder higher CFM higher amp draw silverstone fm121 when exhausting though my mushroom vent as it has a higher SP rating.

I did once mount the Delta 252 CFM 35.887MM Static pressure screaming banshee Fan to my ceiling vent for an hour. The counter rotating inline feeder fan actually slowed down the screaming banshee and reduced airflow. Its scavenging ability was unmatched and dang impressive. Like closing all the doors and opening one window and putting this fan on high, the airflow coming through the open window was still impressive. but the noise... a high pitched jet engine, and the amp draw, 3.23 amps.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Use KRYLON PAINT FOR PLASTIC. It goes on lacquer thin and embeds into the plastic.

I now have the expensive ICEBERG 70 db fan in possession. 120 mm 290 cfm. Then there's the Pabst, which I can feel 25' distant.

The WFCO has 145F capacitors with 3 amperes output. I just cannot figure out why the idiots did not mount that vertical ceramic wirewound resistor INSIDE the cap and be done with it all. The fan (?) is mounted on the far end of the board ready to blow heated toroid air a foot distant to the sensitive electrolytics. No wonder the thing cannot possibly work right. The aptitude and intelligence of the design crew finds itself stuck somewhere between a fifth and sixth-grader's science project.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
landyacht318 wrote:
-------snip-----------
I think I need to order more 25KHZ motor speed controllers just for the fans in workshop and take steps to prevent their smoking. I use these as air filters and do notice the increased dust without them.
IF your head is next to the motor with no physical separation like a wall, etc., you will likely hear the PWM or the 3 phase motor. It makes zero difference how you speed control the fan, the result is the same. It takes very little distance for the switching whine to fall off, and when on full, as quiet as the Noctra is, its blade noise drowns out the switching whine in close quarters.

In this case its the fan from the onboard ESC running the 3 phase motor. I can power the fan with a lab bench supply or with the cheap PWM controller and the performance of the fan and the switching whine from either source is exactly the same.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Gordonthree.
I might just click 'place order' now on the 3 wire 2000rpm 140MM noctua and more 25KHZ motor speed controllers.

I will have to enlarge one hole on my shroud from 120 to 140MM aqnd safely mount the controller, but No biggie