cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Splendide 2100 dryer not heating

gatrue
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Splendide model WD2100 vented washer/dryer combo.

Serial #: 40212 3210 91280180101

All of a sudden, the heating portion of the dryer mode stopped working. The fan motor is working properly, and the drum tumbles as it should.

The LED does not flash any fault code. They work as they always have.

I checked the pressure switch and it checked out okay.

I checked the dry mode NTC sensor and both ECOโ€™s and they checked out okay.

I checked the heater coil and it checked out okay as well.

I put a volt meter on the heater element, and when the relay trips to send power to the heater element, it sends 110 volts momentarily and then kicks out.

I checked the surge protector and I got the following readings.

Surge Protector to CNK = 0.4 - 1.9 ohms

Could this be the cause of the problem?
14 REPLIES 14

gatrue
Explorer
Explorer
I called Westland Sales and they said I needed a new board as the relay had failed. New board $364. So, I pulled the board from the unit and then thought if the relay was bad that I might be able to replace just the relay. After pulling the board I found a burnt spot on the bottom of the board where the relay is soldered in. I cleaned up the area and re-soldered the connection and all is well.
I have been running the unit for a couple of hours now with no overheating of the area on the board. Must have been a bad solder joint that got worse over the years due to all the road vibration.
I want to thank all of you for all of your input. Hopefully I can help out in the future.

raygreg
Explorer
Explorer
You have to determine if the relay is bad or the electric signal to the relay is cutting out.

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I would call Westland Sales. Their on the phone tech support is excellent IMHO.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

gatrue
Explorer
Explorer
My W/D is an older model. It is the WD2100 not the WD2100XC. It does not have the numbered cycles, it has an Express, Permanent Press, Delicate, and so on cycle selection. I did check all of the passages that that the air flows through from the heating element housing all the way through to the rear vent and there are no obstructions such as lint. The unit isn't overheating and kicking out, it is kicking out as soon as it applies power to the heating element. And the heating element test out good.

Hi...Did you happen to figure yours out yet?? 

ChristyB, not sure if you noticed but this post is 9 years old. The OP hasn't been on here in 5 years. 

2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
It is a shame you have removed the 2100 from your RV before trying the following procedure from Westland Sales. There is a horizontal vent pipe inside the unit at the rear just before it exits the w/d that plugs up with lint occasionally. My 2100XC quit drying 2-3 years ago and this procedure cleaned it right up. I run this procedure 3-4 times a year now and no problems since.

1. Start the unit without clothes and with the dry time off on cycle # 11. When the water stops entering the unit push and hold the start button until all the lights come on then release the button. *NOTE: If the water is not at least half way up the glass repeat this step.

2. Move the cycle knob to cycle # 2 push the extra rinse button then press the start button once (do not hold) then let it run through that complete cycle.

Do this 3 times then try the dryer.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

Hi...I have the WD2100 model also my dryer stopped working also but what are you talking about when you say cycle #11 an #2 mine just says Wash Temp..Dry Time..Washing Settings..Plus it has the Extra Rinse..Low Spin..East Iron..Pre-Wash..do you know anything about these models? Thanks!

Seems like you are nine years apart on your models so much could have changed in between.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

gatrue
Explorer
Explorer
I tried the extension cord with the same results. I downloaded a service manual for the Splendide 2100. This model only has one heater coil. It should read 11 ohms and mine checks out good.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
There should be TWO heater coils and each should check at 20ohms....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Run an extension cord straight to the dryer bypassing the motorhome electrical system to see what happens.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

gatrue
Explorer
Explorer
I should have mentioned that I have pulled the W/D from the RV. And yes your are right about the clogged dryer vent, however I checked this when removing from the RV and it was clear. It seems as if something is kicking out when the voltage is sent to the heating coil.

MaverickBBD
Explorer
Explorer
According to Splendide the number 1 cause of failure to dry is a clogged dryer hose. You might also find as I did that there was way too much hose. You should be able to go all the way to the drum from the rear. Have some one shine a light as you look inside the drum as you rotate it by hand. Of course make sure the hose is clear.
Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix)
'05 Winnebago Journey 36G w/Cat. C-7 350 hp Freightliner XC
AFE air filter, aero turbine muffler, 4 FSD Konis, ultra track bell crank and Safe-T-Plus
FMCA 397030
WIT 129107