cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stove exhaust fan not working (picture)

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
The exhaust fan in the stove hood doesn't run on 12v or 120v.

Fuse in the panel is good. I pulled the motor out. It runs on a household battery, so not the motor.

The power lines to the motor have a "fuse" inline that I've not seen before. It appears to be good, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at.

I forgot to check with a meter to see if I had 12v to those line. Must do that tonight.

Any ideas? Thanks.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!
8 REPLIES 8

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I kinda doubt we can find a Wiring Diagram for this Hood, but just for fun, what's the Make/Model?

I'm certain there is only one power connection, Fused 12VDC Hot and a Ground back toward the Fuse Box, that powers both Light and Motor. That leaves you with a bad connection within the hood, leaving power to the Light switch but not to the Fan switch.

You tested and found no power to the fan switch. Was your other meter lead connected to a proper ground?

I've seen those little motors, range hood and bathroom vents, get flaky to where they'll run in one orientation but not another. Horizontal in your hand, for example, but not vertical as installed in the appliance...
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
The light in the hood does work.

It would be unusual if there is more than one 12 V feed wire going to the hood. If there is only one, and your reported information is correct.......the problem HAS to be right there in the hood.

The most likely place is where the one feed wire is spliced to go to the light and fan.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. I had a few minutes this evening. The switch is separate from the motor. There is no 12v just before the switch per the meter. Pulled every fuse out of the main fuse box. All good there. The light in the hood does work. Puzzled.

Scott, you are probably correct on the purpose for that fuse at the motor.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I think the fuse is there to open in the event of a fire so the fan doesn't um.. fan the fire! :B

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
cbshoestring wrote:
KISS

Is the on/off switch seperate from the motor? If so, check the switch and the connections of the wires to the switch.

AND if the hood also has a light.....and it DOES work....then the problem is right in the hood somewhere.

If the light also does not work, then you might need to look elsewhere, like for a blown fuse.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
KISS

Is the on/off switch seperate from the motor? If so, check the switch and the connections of the wires to the switch.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree that looks like a Thermal Fuse to me.. Radio Shack, while they last, used to sell them, don't know if they still do.. Why put a thermal fuse there I do not know.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
I forgot to check with a meter to see if I had 12v to those line. Must do that tonight.

Any ideas?

That's a thermal fuse ... the obvious is to check that source with a DVM.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380