cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stranded without hot water.

redT2go
Explorer
Explorer
This is our first camping trip with our motorhome. So we r trying to get hot water. This is what we have done so far: we had the switch on bypass by accident and have since corrected this. Before we corrected this the electric was running for 1-2 hours and then we turned on the propane. So we were heating the tank without water by accident. Now the switch is off bypass and water is in tank. We have tried propane and electric but still no hot water. The flame was visable on the hot water tank. The panel switch inside the motorhome flashed red for a moment but they r not on now. Not sure if that is normal or not. Any suggestions?? It's a little chilly and staying at campground without facilities.
13 REPLIES 13

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
IT will take a good 40 minutes before the hot water heater shuts off on our unit. It will take a good 15 minutes before it starts to get warm. If you have a flame that you can see and water flows out of the hot water spigot just wait awhile.
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Quote:
Shoot. You still have a safety device. Just boil it until the pressure relief valve pops
-------------------------------------------------
Hey, whatever works, I guess !
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
RJsfishin wrote:
Its perdy simple,....
If the tank has water in it, and the burner is burning, you'll have hot water.
So if the burner will not burn for any reason, you can always get hot water by hot wiring 12v to the gas valve, and manually light the burner. Only problem w/ this is safety,.......you must shut it off after 30 minutes or so, because you have by passed all the thermostats and safety devices.
Now, let the hammer come down for me giving a remedy for hot water in an "emergency"?? situation.
I had to do the same thing to mine this summer before replacing the board when I came home. The long gas grill lighters work well to get to the flame.

Shoot. You still have a safety device. Just boil it until the pressure relief valve pops.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
RJsfishin wrote:
Its perdy simple,....
So if the burner will not burn for any reason, you can always get hot water by hot wiring 12v to the gas valve, and manually light the burner. Only problem w/ this is safety,.......you must shut it off after 30 minutes or so, because you have by passed all the thermostats and safety devices.
Now, let the hammer come down for me giving a remedy for hot water in an "emergency"?? situation.
I had to do the same thing to mine this summer before replacing the board when I came home. The long gas grill lighters work well to get to the flame.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Its perdy simple,....
So if the burner will not burn for any reason, you can always get hot water by hot wiring 12v to the gas valve, and manually light the burner. Only problem w/ this is safety,.......you must shut it off after 30 minutes or so, because you have bypassed all the thermostats and safety devices.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Valkyriebush
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
This may sound crazy, but on both your inside and outside shower, make sure that the handles are completely shut off and not just the shower nozzle. I've read several cases recently where this solved the same kind of problem you're having.

Exactly, happened to me once. Out side hot shower knob on. Turned off, and voila! Hot water
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
OLD Biscut has it right,I think its tripped.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or do like we Rv Campers do it... Heat up water on the stove top or the propane grill or camp fire.... hehe You can wash up at the sink...

Just saying one must have a good PLAN B

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
No water in tank-----electric element ON=======element burnt up so until replaced forget heating using electric

Propane turned on .....no water ....tank got hot
Suspect hot enough to trip HI Temp T-stat

IF you have a Suburban water heater..HI Temp T-stat has to be manually reset.
Outside compartment....above gas valve rubber cover with 'Push To Reset'
Left button....electric (don't bother---element is burnt out)
Right button....propane......push in hard to reset tripped t-stat

Course........
All posts with suggestions are just GUESSES because you have no real info on which brand/model/year...RV or water heater etc.

Water heater has water in tank?
open hot side on a faucet and water flows?

So just guesses.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
Also, if the water heater is not hard wired into the rig, check the plug, which might be in the compartment next to the water heater, and see if the plug became loose or disconnected (Don't ask me how I know :))

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
This may sound crazy, but on both your inside and outside shower, make sure that the handles are completely shut off and not just the shower nozzle. I've read several cases recently where this solved the same kind of problem you're having.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
you burned the electric elemant up so that needs replaced.If it is a attwood water heater go outside unplug the ignition board in the upper right corner and replug it back in then try it again

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
Electric element may be burned out from being powered without water in the tank.

Run on propane...
Turn on switch. Light will illuminate for a few seconds and then the water heater should light and the switch light will go out. The burner will remain lit until the water is hot (~10-15 minutes depending on your water heater size. I've never timed mine, I'm just grasping a time out of the air).

You could walk outside and listen for the burner and feel heat from the water heater door on the outside.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny