cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Surge protectors

Lspangler
Explorer
Explorer
I have a TT with a 50 amp cord. However I only have one AC. Do I buy a 30 amp surge protector or a 50 amp? I have no plans to add a second AC

Thanks

Linc
33 REPLIES 33

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
whatever you buy, be sure it is a MULTI function surge protector, $250 and up, not the $90 special.

Which will only further confuse the OP :R - what you're calling a "MULTI function surge protector" is actually an EMS (Electrical Management System) that includes surge protection as just one of it's functions. If he goes looking for a "surge protector" then that's all he'll get - surge protection without the additional features of an EMS. In other words, if you want a dog and not a cat then the distinction between the two is critical. ๐Ÿ˜›

Progressive Industries Surge Protector / EMS w/Surge Protection Comparison Chart
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Lspangler wrote:
Everything in my trailer works on a 30 amp pedastel.

otrfun wrote:
You cannot hardwire a 30 amp surge protector or EMS in a TT with 50 amp service.

Well that's not technically correct. When one uses a 30 amp male > 50 amp female dogbone to plug a rig wired with 50 amp service into a campsite 30 amp source that dogbone applies the 30 amp's single hot line to both hot lines of the 50 amp service. This being the case there's no reason one couldn't also hard wire a 30 amp EMS into a rig with 50 amp service in the same manner. That said, if the OP's rig truly is wired with 50 amp service then I'd agree - ante up for a 50 amp EMS, whether portable or hard wire, and properly protect both phases of the trailer's 50 amp service. Unfortunately the OP hasn't clearly explained exactly how he manages to use a 30 amp main service cable with his 50 amp rig - pics would be helpful so we know precisely where the 50 amp > 30 amp conversion is occurring.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
whatever you buy, be sure it is a MULTI function surge protector, $250 and up, not the $90 special.
bumpy

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lspangler wrote:
Ok. Thanks. Everything in my trailer works on a 30 amp pedastel. The only breaker not in use is the second AC. I was thinking it would be easier to wire in a 50 amp surge protector. I never us a 50 amp cord. Only a 30 amp

Linc
Since you mentioned you have a breaker for a 2nd a/c, I'm going to assume you have 50 amp service in your TT.

If you plan to ALWAYS use a 30 amp cord/connector with your TT (even though your TT has 50 amp service), you do have the option of using a PORTABLE 30 amp surge protector OR EMS that connects between the pedestal's 30 amp connector and your 30 amp power cord.

If you ever plan to use a 50 amp cord/connector to connect your TT's 50 amp service to a 50 amp pedestal, then it is mandatory that you use a 50 amp surge protector or EMS, either portable (between the pedestal's 50 amp connector and your 50 amp cord), or hard-wired inside your TT.

You cannot hardwire a 30 amp surge protector or EMS in a TT with 50 amp service.

Your choice.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
SoundGuy,

There are better alternatives than surge devices. They may cost more.

I wouldn't necessarily say "better", an autoformer / voltage regulator is an alternative but can still benefit from the use of a correctly selected surge protector. FWIW, my own TRC voltage regulator turned out to be anything but "better" when it fried :M ... I'll stick with my Progressive EMS, thanks. :B All this aside, you're losing the OP with unnecessary complexity. :R

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
SoundGuy,

There are better alternatives than surge devices. They may cost more.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Current offerings cut the voltage at 103. I'm not happy below 107. I do manually check any outlet, with it under load, before plug in.

I prefer to use an autoformer and a load support inverter/charger.

TRC low voltage threshold is 102 vac, Progressive Industries is 104 vac, each chosen by design engineers for each respective company, no need to debate their decisions, especially for the OP who doesn't fully understand what these units do anyway. :R

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Current offerings cut the voltage at 103. I'm not happy below 107. I do manually check any outlet, with it under load, before plug in.

I prefer to use an autoformer and a load support inverter/charger.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Are you wanting a simple surge protector or an EMS unit? A surge protector will help a little, but a full service unit from Surge Guard or Progressive Industries will do much more to help protect your trailer's electronics.

"Surge Guard" is / was the branded name of a series of EMS w/surge protection products manufactured by Technology Research LLC while Progressive Industries is the name of the company itself that manufactures a variety of surge protector / EMS units for the RV industry. I say "is / was" because I notice TRC no longer shows any surge protectors / EMS units as part of their product line ... maybe they're getting out of that business segment. :h

To the OP ... if you don't know the difference between a simple surge protector and an EMS w/surge protection do a little reading so you know what you're buying. Although a surge protector does serve a purpose most here would recommend a full feature EMS w/surge protection, either portable or hard wire, each has it's advantages / disadvantages.

Lspangler
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. Thanks. Everything in my trailer works on a 30 amp pedastel. The only breaker not in use is the second AC. I was thinking it would be easier to wire in a 50 amp surge protector. I never us a 50 amp cord. Only a 30 amp

Linc

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you wanting a simple surge protector or an EMS unit? A surge protector will help a little, but a full service unit from Surge Guard or Progressive Industries will do much more to help protect your trailer's electronics.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
That depends on whether you can operate as fully as you wish on a 30 amp circuit. Do you have a 50-30 adapter? Have you operated all the simultaneous loads you wish in that condition?

If you use a 30 amp source, and an adapter after a 30 amp protector, all your circuitry is protected.

Depends on whether saving the money is worth some power management hassle.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lspangler wrote:
I have a TT with a 50 amp cord. However I only have one AC. Do I buy a 30 amp surge protector or a 50 amp? I have no plans to add a second AC

Thanks

Linc
A TT with a "50 amp service" has TWO, 50 amp, 120 volt circuits, capable of producing 100 amps of total current. If you look inside the power center on a TT with 50 amp service you should see two, 50 amp circuit breakers. If you install a surge protector, it has to be a 50 amp version, so it can protect each of these circuits individually/independently. Regardless whether you're simply charging your phone . . . or running two a/c units and a microwave at the same time . . . both of these 50 amp circuit breakers are still live and active.

A TT with 30 amp service only has ONE, 30 amp 120 circuit, capable of producing only 30 amps of total current. If you look inside the power center on a TT with 30 amp service you should see one, 30 amp circuit breaker. A 30 amp surge protector requires less parts and circuitry than a 50 amp surge protector because it only needs to protect one, 30 amp circuit (vs. two, 50 amp circuits in a TT with 50 amp service).

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
What do you think the surge protector will do for the air conditioner?

The big thing is protect the unit from improperly weird pedestals, low voltage, bad ground, bad neutral, power spikes.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lspangler wrote:

Thanks

Linc

I would go with the 50.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain