Explorer
Explorer
Which is better buy? Besides cost per amp hour

Trojan T105 225 20 Hr Amp Hour $105.00 = $ .47 / Ahr 62 lb
or
Crown CR-235 20 Hr Amp Hour $90.50 = $ .39 / Ahr 63 lb
or
Energizer 6 Volt Premium GC2 235 20 Hr Amp Hr $111.00 = $.47 66lb

Assuming a 50% max draw down and if 50% will be able to top charge to 100% within 3 days.

Average draw down approx 30%

Batteries will be on float charger when in storage.

Your opinion & why please.
corrected typo
30 REPLIES 30

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I guess some people never appreciate the fact that they can outsmart themselves.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
MEX, it's just like tires. The most critical part of a system usually gets the least amount of money thrown at it.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Back from the mausoleum this subject gets resurrected.

Buy whatever battery tickles your fancy.

If you choose price as the most important criteria

If they fail prematurely, please suffer in silence.

I fail to understand illogical rationalizations. RV'ers ---- away hundreds if not thousands of dollars on a******table or 21 game, then kill over a dollar for a battery. Should I end this with "Par For The Course"?

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Most any well maintained 6'ers will go 8 to 10 yrs.
How are Trojans better ?

My no name 12'ers are 4 yrs now, can't tell them from new,.yet !
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

martipr
Explorer
Explorer
AStinker- wrote:

or
or

Assuming a 50% max draw down and if 50% will be able to top charge to 100% within 3 days.

corrected typo

"No one was ever sorry they bought the best" IMHO Go Trojan.
Old Navy Chief (AOC) Retired Aircraft Mechanic/Inspector
2007 29' 27FBV Trail Bay V Series
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
You can talk till the cows come home about which battery is the "best"; you can compare cost, amp hours per lb, color of case, and anything else you want! The "best" battery is one well tended to.

My pair of 7 year old no-name 6V-GC's are doing just fine; any battery well tended to will do well.

Doug

Dharry
Explorer
Explorer
AStinker- wrote:

or
or

corrected typo

This is an interesting thread but I'd really like to know where you found CR-235s for under $100? Cheapest I have found is a little under $120.

Thank you!

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

I hope you understand why I went on this tirade....
I sure do! And I'm glad there are folks like yourself here on the forum. I would've made the wrong decision (for me) for sure and got something I didn't want or need.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
BE AWARE OF THIS - Some manufacturers are as careful about meeting specifications as can be, others DO NOT HAVE ADEQUATE EQUIPMENT TO EVALUATE BATTERIES CORRECTLY. How many HUNDREDS of cyclable batteries have I tested that had NOWHERE NEAR the capacity or cycle life the the manufacturer stated?

Purchase what suits you. There is a HELL of a lot of difference between Roy Rogers and a 10 mile weekend trip and someone who plans on spending a month about 500 miles distant from the nearest joint that sells golf car batteries. Get my drift? If I RELY on batteries and spent hundreds of dollars (if not thousands) getting somewhere and a battery fails ("oooooo look goog, it has a lifetime warranty") it is MEANINGLESS. "Oh I'm intelligent I saved sixty dollars a battery and blew a three thousand dollar vacation, you know, that thing that comes around once a year".
I have seen ENOUGH BLOWN VACATIONS TO LAST FIVE LIFETIMES. It isn't funny. The folks who had their plans blown to smithereens were not happy campers.

If YOU meaning the individual consider YOUR vacation NON MISSION CRITICAL fine. But to try and impress upon others seeking pure information your philosophy is disingenuous. You are forgetting to add half a dozen CAVEATS.

What is practical for you and what is practical to me, may be irrelevant to many other RV'ers. EDUCATION is the only answer. So the individual seeking a wise choice in whatever the hell they are purchasing, modifying or changing is done under an atmosphere of being adequately informed and educated of the pros and cons. They analyze, compare and decide in a manner suitable for themselves and no one else.

When I offer advice few times do I not add caveats. It has to be that way whether I or anyone else likes it or not.

I hope you understand why I went on this tirade....

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
You may also want to consider the Trojan T-125. It's the same size as the T-105 but is 240 amp hours and weighs 66-lbs.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
So I guess the manufacturer's rating is no indication of capacity? The Fullriver DC220-6 is rated at 220AH, while all those GC2 batteries are rated for more AH but weigh five to nine pounds less. Which is more simplistic, rating or weight?
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
EsoxLucius wrote:
Well then one should get the Fullriver DC220-6 as it weighs 72 lbs. A matter of three or four lbs. is inconsequential. The Crown will perform as well as any of those others, heavier is not the only determinant.
3 or 4 lbs less is also less capacity. If you're spending nearly the same money why buy the lighter battery? Also, I prefer the Fullriver DC400-6's. :B

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Well then one should get the Fullriver DC220-6 as it weighs 72 lbs. A matter of three or four lbs. is inconsequential. The Crown will perform as well as any of those others, heavier is not the only determinant.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
The weight is what counts. Your usual 232AH battery is 67 lbs so those 63 lb batteries are the smaller AH versions, like US Battery makes U-2200s (67 lbs 232AH) and also makes U-2000 (63 lb 200AH ISTR) and they also even make/made a U-1800s at 190AH whatever light weight)

This is why you need your bathroom scales with you when buying at Sam's or Costco so you can ignore all the funny labels and just weigh the thing to know which version in AH of the "real brand" you have there. IMO don't buy any 6v batt under 65lbs.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.