cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tech Issue Electric Toaster Oven Power Requirement?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I am interested in squeezing the maximum out of a toaster oven. A large unit capable of holding an entire hen minus it's insulation and appendages.

Pretty big no question.

But researching via internet is a pain on steroids...

• I am dealing with 15-amp duplex receptacle connections
  • And flaky voltages
  • This means digital SMART ovens are to be avoided like the plague
  • Manually set controls
  • A wireless temp probe for low voltage or super nova high voltage
  • I need a brand name hint
  • Why is it so @#$%&! hard to find ads that display electrical requirements?
  • Do the big units use 1,875 watts i.e. 15-amps?

Thank you in advance
18 REPLIES 18

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you sirs!

Spuds and veggies get nuked. Hopefully the connection can give 100 volts. I purchased lamb chops today and they need a lot of infrared to give up their grease. Few things are nicer than baking black Odessa bread and preparing Borscht on a mild day. Real Russians would chill Stolichnaya to -5F eat the meal, quaff the vodka, emit a huge "Paahhh!" then head for the steam bath with a birch switch.

San Francisco sourdough with slices of chilled lobster tail laid reverently between slices.

It seldom gets cool enough here to put a fire under a stove oven without causing painful living conditions. But I sweat not when it comes to baking croissants and cinnamon bear claws. Each claw seems to weigh a half pound.

Thanks for the info. It goes to work Tuesday.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
newman fulltimer wrote:
oster xl convection oven

THAT rang my chimes...

$34.99 at USA COSTCO

I have what I think is the Wal-Mart equivalent Oster model, and am pretty happy with it. Mechanical controls, and should work just fine on MSW power with the possible exception of the little fan motor for the convection cooking mode. I'd guess it probably would be okay too, just maybe a bit noisy.

In convection mode, it actually cooks halfway evenly. In toast mode, it makes acceptably decent toast and english muffins. Not bad at all; 1400W according to the sticker.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
oster xl convection oven

THAT rang my chimes...

$34.99 at USA COSTCO

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The 35 second well-done T-Bone

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Yes wind! and the rain should give 20 percent boost ๐Ÿ˜‰

OldSmokey
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
SOLAR COOKING IN MEXICO

Whadd'ya mean it ain't done? It's been on for three days!

Wind generator then ??:B

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
oster xl convection oven

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
I so dislike toaster ovens. In college one of the roommates would have it on fire once a week. Food never seemed to come out right even if not completely charred.

Fast forward and DW wants a toaster oven. I tell her for two decades NO. Eventually she gets a gift of a new one that is a few years old still sealed in the box. I relented and let her set it up but warned about the hazard. Within ONE minute of turning on, the heating element's ceramic explodes. White dust everywhere in the kitchen. Huge mess to clean up. Door on the unit was blown open and would not close. I threw it out on the concrete patio to cool off and in the trash it went.

No toaster ovens for me, EVER. I hope you enjoyed my true life story ๐Ÿ˜‰

They hate you.
Take precautions. When you pass a stick n brick store that sells them keep your eye on the storefront windows beside you to make sure you aren't being followed ๐Ÿ™‚

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
SOLAR COOKING IN MEXICO

Whadd'ya mean it ain't done? It's been on for three days!

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
It would be a safe bet to assume that just about any toaster oven will pull 1,500 watts.

OldSmokey
Explorer
Explorer
if the power is that unreliable.. then how about something like this:
hehehe

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe something like the RONCO 4000?

Basic quartz heating elements and mechanical timer; so it could care less about having pure electricity coming in.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I so dislike toaster ovens. In college one of the roommates would have it on fire once a week. Food never seemed to come out right even if not completely charred.

Fast forward and DW wants a toaster oven. I tell her for two decades NO. Eventually she gets a gift of a new one that is a few years old still sealed in the box. I relented and let her set it up but warned about the hazard. Within ONE minute of turning on, the heating element's ceramic explodes. White dust everywhere in the kitchen. Huge mess to clean up. Door on the unit was blown open and would not close. I threw it out on the concrete patio to cool off and in the trash it went.

No toaster ovens for me, EVER. I hope you enjoyed my true life story ๐Ÿ˜‰

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
A little pricey those PSW. A whole cluck-cluck can take longer than an hour. I am doing this to avoid SALT and SUGAR which is all but unavoidable in Mexican cooking. The juice in one take out chicken is like equal to two weeks of salt. 1,120 mg of sodium in one small package of chorizo a Mexican sausage.

I can test hop a connection by firing the oven empty. If voltage is ridiculous then the oven is nixxed for the meal. It may seem strange but I really like infra-red toasty cooked vegetables.

And a convection oven would heat the rig a small fraction of what a stove oven would. Home baked sourdough and dill rye is excellent and the ingredients stay fresh for months.

I can purchase turkey thighs and breasts.

I guess a lot of folks think "Someone stole the cork out of my breakfast" is the norm down here --- maybe for tourists.