cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Official unofficial CPE 2000i Generator Thread

pritch272
Explorer
Explorer
8/1/2010 edit: Thread renamed at the suggestion of the Professor.
Renamed from: Champion Inverter and Remote Gens Promo on CPE's web site)

3/22/2011 edit: Thread renamed ...
Renamed from: Official CPE 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Thread

3/23/2011 edit: Thread renamed at the suggestion of the Professor.
Renamed from: (Un)Official CPE 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Thread

Inverter Available August 2010

Remote Available July 2010

2007 Keystone Laredo 29RL, 2000 Ford F250 7.3 PSD, Firestone bags, Pressure Pro, 16" Michelin XPS Ribs, MorRyde Pin Box, Dexter EZ-Flex, PI EMS-HW30C, Dirt Devil CV950 Central Vacuum, 2000W AllPower by Kipor, 4000/3500W Champion C46540
2,927 REPLIES 2,927

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
byates wrote:
If so, CPE should be congratulated in securing the temporary work visas for those Chinese factory workers. Requirements for entry into the US are pretty stringent. Prior to this, it appears CPE has only filed for the temporary work program twice, 2006 and 2008.

Not everyone at the factory in China needs a temporary work visa. Some of the engineers and techs are from our country and can come here any time they want or are needed.
Professor Randy T. Agee & Nancy Agee. Also Oscar, the totally ruined Dachshund.
2009 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel - 2004 Volvo VNL670 class 8 MotorHome conversion as toter.
Turbocharged, 12L, 465 HP and 1,800 ft. Lbs. of torque.

PrivatePilot
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
I wonder at what load levels this "hunting " occurs
No load, 300 watts, 600, 150??

My throttle hunts constantly at no load idle. At light load it seems to stabilize, but again under moderate load it runs steady but occasionally burps as if something hard came online...but nothing is - all it was powering at the time was my electronic 25A charger connected straight to my golf cart batteries.

I've put about 60-80 hours on mine in the last few weeks - a lot of dry camping requiring a lot of battery charging. Frankly, I'm still rather disappointed with the throttle hunting issues - it's really hard for the drone of the generator to blend into the background noise when every 15-30 seconds it burps under load. Worse yet, as my batteries charge and the load reduces (my charger reduces the amps as the batteries approach full charge) the generator eventually reaches almost idle and then wanders all over the place. Irritating given this is when it should be at it's quietest while the battery charger drops into float mode, but the generator is bringing all sorts of attention to itself.
30' Keystone Cougar 5'er, Triple Bunkhouse, SuperSlide.
Chevy 3500 1 Ton long box crew cab dually
6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4.11 Rears, LSD, Fresh rebuild spring 2012.
Dieselplace.com Staff Member

Our 2008 western adventure - to the coast and back!

Mark

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
BVW wrote:
Just bought a 'yellow' one in BC Canada:

1. powers a standard micro + fridge + inverter (any 2 of the 3) no prob.

2. only 'burps' when revving from econo.

3. it has a fuel leak in the bottom (not from filling).

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks to all for all you do here!

This report of the leaking issue was posted some ago. How could CPE not be aware of the serious nature of the leaking problem? If '200 or so' of these leaking units got into the hands of buyers, sounds like a product liability issue for the factory. Some folks might not even know they have a problem or know of possible serious injury.

byates
Explorer
Explorer
If so, CPE should be congratulated in securing the temporary work visas for those Chinese factory workers. Requirements for entry into the US are pretty stringent. Prior to this, it appears CPE has only filed for the temporary work program twice, 2006 and 2008.

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
byates wrote:

Did CPE say how they would replace the petcocks on the "unknown number (maybe 200)" of units that were shipped and sold to customers?
How long did it take CPE employees to replace the petcocks on "several thousand new units still in the warehouse"? That had to be a massive effort.

Boone,
Considering the nature of the problem, I would venture to GUESS that any one that purchased one of these units would be returning it or contacting CS for warranty repairs since they do not receive enough fuel. Again, GUESS - not a know fact.

My understanding is that additional help from the factory in China flew over here and either completed or assisted in completing the replacement. Again, not a factual statement, only what I understood in a recent conversation.

In any event, the issue was identified early and all accessible 'units have been updated with new petcocks.
2009 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel - 2004 Volvo VNL670 class 8 MotorHome conversion as toter.

byates
Explorer
Explorer
professor95 wrote:
Guys, it appears I posted some totally incorrect information about CPE being aware of and repairing a bunch of 2000i products with a leaking fuel petcock. I completely misunderstood what the issue was and what I shared was part of the misunderstanding. When I read the post from #40Fan I apparently put 2 and 2 together and came up with 5 - which of course is the wrong answer! This, of course, does not negate the problem #40Fan had with his units.

The aforementioned problem with the petcock identified by CPE was a slow flow situation. A new vendor supplied a petcock that had a small routing pocket and slowed the fuel flow down to less than 50% of the required need, causing the generator to eventually burn off the bowl fuel and starve for fuel and stall.

There is not a fuel leak problem with the petcock that CPE is aware of. The problem with the restriction in the petcock has been identified and corrected.

I am truly sorry for giving the wrong information and apologize to all - especially CPE.

Glad to hear that CPE is not aware of a fuel leak problem with the petcock. Hopefully, the problem #40Fan experienced with the fuel leakage is not the rule. At least now CPE is aware of #40Fan's problem with fuel leaking.
In the past 12 months, the following brands have experienced potential fuel leakage hazards in their outdoor power equipment and have initiated steps to advise their customers:
Honda, Suzuki, Baja Motorsports, BRP, Katadyn, Cub Cadet, Husqvarna, Kawasaki, Kohler, Toro, Sterno, STIHL, Cummings
Did CPE say how they would replace the petcocks on the "unknown number (maybe 200)" of units that were shipped and sold to customers?
How long did it take CPE employees to replace the petcocks on "several thousand new units still in the warehouse"? That had to be a massive effort.

Old___Slow
Explorer
Explorer
byates wrote:
professor95 wrote:
#40Fan wrote:

Pulled the top unit off and found a small puddle of gas in the right front, top corner pocket of the lower unit.

Funny you should make this post today.

I learned today that there were a bunch of new units received in California from the factory in China that had the same problem. Before CPE Tech Support discovered the problem an unknown number (maybe 200?) were shipped out to suppliers and sold to customers. When they discovered the problem they began a process of replacing the petcock on several thousand new units still in the warehouse. A rather daunting task.

Anyway - CPE is aware of the problem and will gladly replace or repair any unit that has the leak you described. You apparently were the recipient of some of the bad units.

Tech support will most likely pick-up on your post but will have no idea who you are or how to contact you. I hope you will call them and report your problem so they will know what supplier or store may have units with a leaking petcock.

CummingsOnan had a similar situation last year involving 550 of their Chinese made units with potential fuel leaks. After 25 reported problems, CummingsOnan was a bit more proactive in that they voluntarily issued a recall alert in cooperation with the CPSC. CummingsOnan directly contacted affected consumers offering a full refund plus $100. CummingsOnan was able to quantify the number of potential hazardous units, with model/serial numbers and dates of manufacture.

What I find interesting is that the Recall Alert advises that it is illegal to sell or resell a recalled consumer product. By issuing the recall, CummingsOnan served their customers well with the notification of a potential safety hazard absorbing any associated cost.

Take what you will from this post, but it is factual.
http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/html/Common/pdf/recalls/recall-alert-052510.pdf

I'm troubled by the serious nature of leaking carbs reports.

JConatser
Explorer
Explorer
professor95 wrote:
... A new vendor supplied a petcock that had a small routing pocket and slowed the fuel flow down to less than 50% of the required need, causing the generator to eventually burn off the bowl fuel and starve for fuel and stall. ...

This is exactly the type of thing I was referring to when I stated in a previous post: "Some kind of adjustment spec or part change that's happened after the design/testing process".
I think a similar thing is the cause of the "burping/rough idle" issue. And it won't necessarily be something from a new vendor, one of their current vendors has perhaps changed something in it's part manufacturing process. This kind of stuff happens fairly often, actually ... and it's often very hard to track down.
Ameri-Lite 24RB
2003 Chevy 1500 Ext Cab, 5.7L
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Wuttevr
Explorer
Explorer
JConatser wrote:

BTW, Wuttevr, what problem did you have with your first two units?

Same issue with all three, to varying degrees. This one is the best of the three. This I will admit- I am picky.

Also, hopefully this goes without saying- I am rooting for CPE. I love my 3500/4000, and their CS is beyond reproach. They stand behind their products, and see to it that their customers are satisfied. I just think it is only fair to relay the issues I am having, as it might be valuable information for others. Assuredly, if I have an agenda, it is that CPE succeeds.
No more

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
jgib01 wrote:
Old & Slow wrote:
dwh,
Perhaps, I am wrong to assume anything into the 'delisting' with Costco.Ca, of the Champion 2000i. And the return issue. As for any next production of this unit, or a possible new model, I quess we all will know someday. Finally, I watch with interest, as a possible future buyer of some small Inverter generator.

FWIW I noticed that it is back on the costco.ca site. I purchased one back when it was on sale, but have yet to unbox it. Planning to use it for emergency light home use in hurricane season and to run the furnace/boiler in the winter during power outages. Eventually will hopefully have a couple to use for RV'ing, but we are between RVs right now. If it goes on sale again, I just may be tempted. For now, I guess I'd better bust into the box and try it out, in light of some of the issues folks here have reported as of late.

Last week there were 12 of the CPE2000i units on the floor at our Sam's Club on Laburnum Avenue (East). A couple of days later I visited the West Broad Street store and there were none, only two of the 3,500 watt synchronous units.

Back at Sam's on Laburnum today and there was only one 2000i in stock. Apparently eleven units have been sold in this past week and the West Broad Store either doesn't stock the unit or is sold out.

We have had quite a few bad thunderstorms in our area recently with large area power outages. I was without power for 6 hours last week after a big boomer came through. Sales in this area may be up due to these storms.

professor95
Explorer
Explorer
Guys, it appears I posted some totally incorrect information about CPE being aware of and repairing a bunch of 2000i products with a leaking fuel petcock. I completely misunderstood what the issue was and what I shared was part of the misunderstanding. When I read the post from #40Fan I apparently put 2 and 2 together and came up with 5 - which of course is the wrong answer! This, of course, does not negate the problem #40Fan had with his units.

The aforementioned problem with the petcock identified by CPE was a slow flow situation. A new vendor supplied a petcock that had a small routing pocket and slowed the fuel flow down to less than 50% of the required need, causing the generator to eventually burn off the bowl fuel and starve for fuel and stall.

There is not a fuel leak problem with the petcock that CPE is aware of. The problem with the restriction in the petcock has been identified and corrected.

I am truly sorry for giving the wrong information and apologize to all - especially CPE.

DrBaker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses. I wasn't comfortable with the amount of clearance I had with gens in the back corner of the truck bed. When the kingpin box swings from side to side it is really close going over the top of them. If I were at just the right decline in a turn it could have hit one of them. With an extra inch or better I don't think I should have any issues. I avoid the type of terrain that would cause them to be hit with the handles removed.
2011 Chevy 2500HD CC/SB 4x4 Victory Red
2003 Crossroads Cruiser CF27RL
Champion Screamer, Reese 16k, and a Blue Status Symbol

MrRchitty
Explorer
Explorer
I say put the bolts back in because there are 4 threaded tabs that will fall out and perhaps get lost.
Randall J. Chittenden
CT
Fire/Medic
Former Auto Parts Sales 12 years

MrWizard
I don't know why not
As long as you put the bolts back in the holes
They might be holding the side panels in place
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

DrBaker
Explorer
Explorer
#40Fan wrote:

So, off with the handle. Four bolts using a 10mm socket. Remove the gas cap as well.

The top cover is only snapped to the four walls. So starting at the back where the rear cover is removed, pull up gently and work your way around the top.

Can the gen be ran safely with the black handle removed? I have clearance issues in the area I want to store the generator. Removing the handle would solve this issue. I'm not concerned about being able to carry it easily since it is so light. Just wondering if it can be started and used safely without having the handle bolted on.
2011 Chevy 2500HD CC/SB 4x4 Victory Red
2003 Crossroads Cruiser CF27RL
Champion Screamer, Reese 16k, and a Blue Status Symbol