cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Official unofficial CPE 2000i Generator Thread

pritch272
Explorer
Explorer
8/1/2010 edit: Thread renamed at the suggestion of the Professor.
Renamed from: Champion Inverter and Remote Gens Promo on CPE's web site)

3/22/2011 edit: Thread renamed ...
Renamed from: Official CPE 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Thread

3/23/2011 edit: Thread renamed at the suggestion of the Professor.
Renamed from: (Un)Official CPE 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Thread

Inverter Available August 2010

Remote Available July 2010

2007 Keystone Laredo 29RL, 2000 Ford F250 7.3 PSD, Firestone bags, Pressure Pro, 16" Michelin XPS Ribs, MorRyde Pin Box, Dexter EZ-Flex, PI EMS-HW30C, Dirt Devil CV950 Central Vacuum, 2000W AllPower by Kipor, 4000/3500W Champion C46540
2,927 REPLIES 2,927

MrRchitty
Explorer
Explorer
#40Fan wrote:
I haven't checked this thread out in a while. Still own 2 of these. MrRchitty, these new modules you are talking about, how old/new are they? I had an issue a few years ago with one of the gennys and had a new module sent to me that I self installed. Still have some idle hunting issues that I gave up on trying to adjust out and I wonder if the new module would be the fix.

The new module addresses that issue. And also extends the time for the module to overload, allowing hard start applications to start easier.
Randall J. Chittenden
CT
Fire/Medic
Former Auto Parts Sales 12 years

_40Fan
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't checked this thread out in a while. Still own 2 of these. MrRchitty, these new modules you are talking about, how old/new are they? I had an issue a few years ago with one of the gennys and had a new module sent to me that I self installed. Still have some idle hunting issues that I gave up on trying to adjust out and I wonder if the new module would be the fix.
2013 Arctic Fox 22GQ
2011 Ram 2500 CC LB CTD G56 3.42 Mineral Gray

MrRchitty
Explorer
Explorer
Hybridhunter wrote:
Krow wrote:
I recently posted these observations of the CPE 73534i I purchased last fall to the Yahoo Pleasureway Groups forum. I'm wondering if anybody can advise if these preliminary results indicate this generator will continue to run my AC or if it will likely fail when placed under higher strain in hot ambient temperatures...
We bought our 2008 PW Excel last fall. It did not have the installed Onan generator. I checked and found it would cost in excess of $3500 to have one installed. Also, as we're new not just to "Class B..ing", but to camping in general, and after reading so many posts of people who say they hardly use their generator, I was relunctant to spend that kind of money right now. Neither did I want to spend the ~$1300 for a portable Honda 2000W. So I bought a Champion Model 73534i 2000W inverter generator from Costo.ca last fall for $600CDN, after I had put the van to sleep for the winter. All I knew for sure was that the generator would fit in the right rear outside storage compartment of the PW as I had measured that opening/space. I knew it would charge the house battery at the least and hoped it would run the microwave. I couldn't find anything specific in any forum as to how it would perform with the Excel AC, but from what others have written about their experience, it seemed a minimum 3000W would be required.

So last week we got the RV out of storage and today I thought I'd try the generator to see how it would perform. I started it up, let it warm for a few minutes, then plugged the van in via the 110 adapter. First I tried the microwave. Sure enough it worked, boiling a cup of water for me. So then I decided to try the AC - I thought we had a 11,500 BTU unit but the manual says it's only 11,000. First I tried just the fan with no cooling - started on low setting then gradually moved it to high. The generator purred right along (the AC was louder than the generator). So then I decided to try the cooling settings. First put it on low - the genny gave a small chug then kept purring. Moved it to Med and then the High setting. Nothing kicked out. I tried rotating the knob to the coolest setting and within a short time I could noticably feel the cool air. As the ambient temp here today was only about 15*C, I thought maybe I would have to move the setting to the "Warmer" side to get it to cycle. After about 5 monutes of no change in generator sound, moved it back the the "Cooler" setting and ran it for several more minutes.

This was totally unexpected. Now, not knowing anything about AC, maybe in high ambient heat there may be more load on the supply and the generator might kick out, I don't know. Somebody else might be able to shed some light there.

One other thing, the specs of the CND models of Champion 2000w Inverters show they put out 1600 running watts whereas the US ones show 1700. I wrote to Champion Power Equipment asking why the US and CDN specs were different and got this reply:

"Since the original release of our 2000 watt generators, we have made improvements to the stator assemblies and currently have them rated at 1700 running watts. You will notice that even our 4,000 watt generators have a more conservative rated running wattage in the Canadian market. This based of different rating standards applied by Canadian Standards Association (CSA)."

So it seems the guts of all the models are the same, it's just the national standards that are different.

This is not meant as an endorsement for the CPE Inverter generator per se, just to inform other Excel users of what I have found it can do. Again, in high heat, maybe it will fail. I'm interested to know if anyone else has tried running their AC with this or any other 2000W inverter generator.

Keith

I was disappointed to find out 4 days before a big camping trip that my dads (the last of 3 CPE2000's we've owned), would not even chug when I tried the new ultra efficient 11K AC on our trailer. So I ran out, bought a Hyundai, based on reviews, and it started with no effort. Onto my parents current hungry Coleman Mach 13.5K, and it overloaded in Eco. Regular setting it fired up and ran all day while charging half dead batteries in 90F. It was going full blast, but it ran like a charm, same price, but it does it all. My dad was mighty jealous.

Hybrid, once again, the modules have been updated on the Champions. You have been advised to send yours to Supergen for a free upgrade. It appears that has not happened. I can tell you,the characteristics are different.

You should try that.

Good luck.
Randall J. Chittenden
CT
Fire/Medic

MrRchitty
Explorer
Explorer
Hybridhunter wrote:
Krow wrote:
I recently posted these observations of the CPE 73534i I purchased last fall to the Yahoo Pleasureway Groups forum. I'm wondering if anybody can advise if these preliminary results indicate this generator will continue to run my AC or if it will likely fail when placed under higher strain in hot ambient temperatures...
We bought our 2008 PW Excel last fall. It did not have the installed Onan generator. I checked and found it would cost in excess of $3500 to have one installed. Also, as we're new not just to "Class B..ing", but to camping in general, and after reading so many posts of people who say they hardly use their generator, I was relunctant to spend that kind of money right now. Neither did I want to spend the ~$1300 for a portable Honda 2000W. So I bought a Champion Model 73534i 2000W inverter generator from Costo.ca last fall for $600CDN, after I had put the van to sleep for the winter. All I knew for sure was that the generator would fit in the right rear outside storage compartment of the PW as I had measured that opening/space. I knew it would charge the house battery at the least and hoped it would run the microwave. I couldn't find anything specific in any forum as to how it would perform with the Excel AC, but from what others have written about their experience, it seemed a minimum 3000W would be required.

So last week we got the RV out of storage and today I thought I'd try the generator to see how it would perform. I started it up, let it warm for a few minutes, then plugged the van in via the 110 adapter. First I tried the microwave. Sure enough it worked, boiling a cup of water for me. So then I decided to try the AC - I thought we had a 11,500 BTU unit but the manual says it's only 11,000. First I tried just the fan with no cooling - started on low setting then gradually moved it to high. The generator purred right along (the AC was louder than the generator). So then I decided to try the cooling settings. First put it on low - the genny gave a small chug then kept purring. Moved it to Med and then the High setting. Nothing kicked out. I tried rotating the knob to the coolest setting and within a short time I could noticably feel the cool air. As the ambient temp here today was only about 15*C, I thought maybe I would have to move the setting to the "Warmer" side to get it to cycle. After about 5 monutes of no change in generator sound, moved it back the the "Cooler" setting and ran it for several more minutes.

This was totally unexpected. Now, not knowing anything about AC, maybe in high ambient heat there may be more load on the supply and the generator might kick out, I don't know. Somebody else might be able to shed some light there.

One other thing, the specs of the CND models of Champion 2000w Inverters show they put out 1600 running watts whereas the US ones show 1700. I wrote to Champion Power Equipment asking why the US and CDN specs were different and got this reply:

"Since the original release of our 2000 watt generators, we have made improvements to the stator assemblies and currently have them rated at 1700 running watts. You will notice that even our 4,000 watt generators have a more conservative rated running wattage in the Canadian market. This based of different rating standards applied by Canadian Standards Association (CSA)."

So it seems the guts of all the models are the same, it's just the national standards that are different.

This is not meant as an endorsement for the CPE Inverter generator per se, just to inform other Excel users of what I have found it can do. Again, in high heat, maybe it will fail. I'm interested to know if anyone else has tried running their AC with this or any other 2000W inverter generator.

Keith

I was disappointed to find out 4 days before a big camping trip that my dads (the last of 3 CPE2000's we've owned), would not even chug when I tried the new ultra efficient 11K AC on our trailer. So I ran out, bought a Hyundai, based on reviews, and it started with no effort. Onto my parents current hungry Coleman Mach 13.5K, and it overloaded in Eco. Regular setting it fired up and ran all day while charging half dead batteries in 90F. It was going full blast, but it ran like a charm, same price, but it does it all. My dad was mighty jealous.

Hybrid, once again, the modules have been updated on the Champions. You have been advised to send yours to Supergen for a free upgrade. It appears that has not happened. I can tell you,the characteristics are different.

You should try that.

Good luck.
Randall J. Chittenden
CT
Fire/Medic

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
Krow wrote:

Keith

MrRchitty
Explorer
Explorer
thejrod wrote:
Well one of mine finally died. About 3 years running the two in parallel, and now one won't start - no spark.

Call Champion or Supergen.
Randall J. Chittenden
CT
Fire/Medic

thejrod
Explorer
Explorer
Well one of mine finally died. About 3 years running the two in parallel, and now one won't start - no spark.

chiefward
Explorer
Explorer
Call Champion. They have the best customer service around.
2011 Fun Finder by Cruiser RV, model X210WBS
2017 Ram, 1500, Tradesman,
10,000 Equal-I-zer hitch

Newman1415
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a pair of used champion inverters from a guy and he Told me the one doesn't output Power anymore. Eventually I will be using the parallel kit. I basically got that one for free and paid for the one that runs good. He doesn't know why it doesn't put power to the plug anymore, the engine still runs great. I am taking it apart to see, any ideas on
what to test or look for? I was thinking the breaker switch might have tripped on him once and went for a crap. Any ideas please
2014 Heartland Bighorn Silverado 41โ€™ SV 365QBS

orionpaxx
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all,

I'm using my champs to power my food truck still, 5 years now, still working. Question for someone who knows more about the topic.
My commercial fridge compressor on my new fridge draws more at startup then my old one causing a bigger rev up for a second. Not a big deal but I was wondering if a larger start up cap would make starting easier on the gennys? Anyone have any thoughts?

It's a 6 amp fridge, I haven't checked to see what the startup amp draw is, not sure how.

Thoughts on the topic are appreciated

Jay

3 2000 champs
1 3100 champ

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
If it is the high efficiency model, the 2000 should run it fine. My 1200 watter can start our 11K high eff, but it can't sustain it.

Krow
Explorer
Explorer
Angus_NB wrote:
I suspect the whole story is fiction. ๐Ÿ™‚
I live in NB and the only place that was close to 15*C today was inside my house. It snowed here.

I couldn't find any specs on the AC for the PW Excel. Very nice RV by the way.

LOL! That was yesterday! No snow here but today was wet and much cooler.

This was a bit of a leap of faith for us, never having done any camping before. We're more travellers than campers, I think, so the Class B I'm hoping will serve our needs. We'll see.

Krow
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
Keith (Krow), very informative post! Thanks!

Do you happen to know the make and model number of your 11,000 BTU RV air conditioner?

According to the manual, it's a Duo-Therm (by Dometic) 600 Series Penguin. The manual covers several models but only 600312.321 and 600312.421 are rated as 11,000 BTU. I don't know the difference so don't know which mine is. There's probably a sticker somewhere inside. The spec table in the manual says both these require a minimum 2500W generator to operate.

Angus_NB
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect the whole story is fiction. ๐Ÿ™‚
I live in NB and the only place that was close to 15*C today was inside my house. It snowed here.

I couldn't find any specs on the AC for the PW Excel. Very nice RV by the way.
2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4 DC
2013 Fun Finder F-266 KIRB
Reese Dual Cam HP / Prodigy P3
2 Black Labs - Lucy (Her) & Tosha (Him)

MrRchitty
Explorer
Explorer
Keith, you've got the right combination and should do fine. I'm currently working on putting later programmed modules which you should have into my generators. They're a little more forgiving and have done wonders. I've seen one of these used on a lunch truck with heavy for 5 years and just had the module go. Otherwise, you're gonna be good.

Good luck with your purchase.
Randall J. Chittenden
CT
Fire/Medic