cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toilet Leaking

lotto38
Explorer
Explorer
My Tetford(sp) Aqua Magic which is in a 2002 Wildrness will not hold water. I cleaned the sliding valve but did not fix the problem
What can I do for this besides getting a new toilet?
6 REPLIES 6

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
I used my wife's tooth brush, not really but I did use a tooth brush and it worked
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
What model Thetford toilet?
many have a groove that the slide goes into. Any small piece of debris will cause the slide not to close fully.
Thetford makes an angle cleaner. It has about a one inch arm bent 90 degrees to the shaft for cleaning grove. I made my own out of a metal coat hanger. Bent one end 90 degrees. Left hanger about eight inches and bent other end into a handle.
Try what Bud suggested first, I use an allen key. If that does not work you my have mineral buildup from hard water over the years. I had to remove mine and scrape the build up off of the blade seal. The build up would have prevented even a new seal from working.

Moved from Forum Technical Support

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Thetford Aquamagic (5 I Think). I had to replace the seal last year. It came in a package with the flange seal as well, paid less than $10 for both seals.
I had to take the toilet off, turn over and open the blade. The old seal pulled out and new one back in, reinstall toilet with new flange seal, hook up water and good to go.

I was amazed at how hard that rubber seal had become over 10 years. We had a different problem caused by the seal, we did have a minor problem holding water, but the big problems was the blade not closing after flushing. When flushing, the blade slid past the edge of the seal and then would not close be the rubber seal had became so hard.
I was also thinking a new toilet for $200-300, but the $10 seal and only a little extra work solved the problem.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
My Sealand came with one of those tan, disposable finger nail files to clean the under side of the seal.
FWIW, My Sealand is finally getting weak at holding water but it doesn't seem to make much difference. We never experience any odors when the bowl drains.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What model Thetford toilet?
many have a groove that the slide goes into. Any small piece of debris will cause the slide not to close fully.
Thetford makes an angle cleaner. It has about a one inch arm bent 90 degrees to the shaft for cleaning grove. I made my own out of a metal coat hanger. Bent one end 90 degrees. Left hanger about eight inches and bent other end into a handle.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker