cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TPMS - I know, again!! Need some buying advice!

PGCR
Explorer
Explorer
So, I'm at that point where I'm ready to pull the trigger on a TPMS for our 5ver (I know, I'm late, but better late then never!!) and really need some good advice on which system to invest in. I've been really looking at the TST507RV with the 4 Flow Through sensors, but the price keeps creeping up and up. I'm not sure this is the forum to put this in, but thought I'd throw it out there and see what the opinions are with regards to any system that I should be considering. Thanks in advance. Paul
32 REPLIES 32

thedoghouse
Explorer
Explorer
No matter what u buy someone will find issues. Pick one you like and go with it.
2008 Holiday Rambler Presidential Suite 36 RLT
2011 Ford F350 CC DRW B&W Companion

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
06Fargo wrote:
I use an air pressure gauge to check pressure. I also look at my tires at stops for anything stuck in a tread etc....I was all set to order one but you read these threads trouble with this trouble with that I put the money into steel casing tires instead.
And with tpms you don't have to.

If you want to find the trouble with anything just ask here.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
06Fargo wrote:
Would a pair of cameras looking at the tires be less fuss than a TPMS?
It would be okay if a tire blew and you had someone watching the monitors all the time. But how would the cameras tell you that you've lost 5 psi, and you're still losing air pressure? Until the tire failed I mean. No offense, but cameras are just a pretty silly idea.

I would look at the monitors each mirror look cycle 30-45 seconds it's how we do it driving heavy trucks. The habit follows me to the little truck. I would line the camera such that a fatter sidewall of a tire losing psi could be seen maybe?

I see low tires on other vehicles all the time with my eyes, even when they are running on the road.

I use an air pressure gauge to check pressure. I also look at my tires at stops for anything stuck in a tread etc

If a tire "blows" from sudden catastrophes looking with eyes or monitors etc aren't going to save the pots and pans drawer and wiring that sit above the tin foil wheel housing anyways...there will be damage to the hull....

I was all set to order one but you read these threads trouble with this trouble with that I put the money into steel casing tires instead.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
how long does it take for the monitor to alert you to the fact you've lost contact with a sensor? Have you ever checked the time frame? .
About a minute. The monitor is constantly cycling thru all the sensors, and suddenly one will just show blank. Turning the monitor off and back on will clear it up...for a while.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
.. excessively long time between losing contact with a sensor and being notified of that. It can take up to an hour to be alerted that the monitor has lost contact with a sensor.
With my EEz system the 5er sensors drop out all the time, even with a repeater. I think I'll check the batteries soon.
How long does it take for the monitor to alert you to the fact you've lost contact with a sensor? Have you ever checked the time frame?

With the TST losing contact all the time would be a major PIA. You could lose contact for 45 minutes, then regain contact, and never know you were without the use of that sensor for that amount of time. That hour response time is about the only major issue with the TST system.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
06Fargo wrote:
It would be okay if a tire blew and you had someone watching the monitors all the time. But how would the cameras tell you that you've lost 5 psi, and you're still losing air pressure? Until the tire failed I mean. No offense, but cameras are just a pretty silly idea.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
.. excessively long time between losing contact with a sensor and being notified of that. It can take up to an hour to be alerted that the monitor has lost contact with a sensor.
With my EEz system the 5er sensors drop out all the time, even with a repeater. I think I'll check the batteries soon.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
06Fargo wrote:
Heavens no. TMPS is also a good way to check your tires before departing.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have the TST flow-through sensors and if I had to do it again I would give them a pass. They are a real PIA if you have to add more than just a couple psi since they are very restrictive. I have had no issues with leakage. I take them off if I have to add air, which kind of negates the whole idea. ๐Ÿ™‚

The only thing I have against the TST system is the excessively long time between losing contact with a sensor and being notified of that. It can take up to an hour to be alerted that the monitor has lost contact with a sensor.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Only problem I have ever seen posted about the flow thru sensors is that air flow can be slow when you are adding air. And they are somewhat larger than the non flow thru.

I have had the non flow thru for 5 years and am very happy with them. I typically add 3-4 pounds of air at the beginning of each travel season and never have to add air again until the next year. Have never had a tire lose air. As noted above, removing the sensor to add air is little more than removing a valve cap.

I did get a repeater as occasionally my monitor would temporarily lose contact with a sensor on my 35' 5er.

thedoghouse
Explorer
Explorer
TST hands down. Quality and the customer service is unbelievable. Just call them about product. They will work out anything u have issues with. I had issue with picking up signal or I had interference. They sent me a repeater out on loan to see if that was my problem. Great down earth people
2008 Holiday Rambler Presidential Suite 36 RLT
2011 Ford F350 CC DRW B&W Companion

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed the TST 507 with flow thru sensors,so far irs working great, got them online from clicky
Best price I could find and quick service.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Of course you have already searched this Forum for `TPMS' then possibly searched the results for the make/model you might be interested in, right?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
You'd have to watch them constantly.. TPMS have audible alarms that warn you before you'd be able to visually tell something was amiss.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III