cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Using Inverter through all AC outlets ???

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a 1000w inverter in my truck camper. Came in very handy this past weekend for laptop charging, shaving, electric mixer, etc.

But the only outlet it at the inverter itself. The inverter sits low, I had to use an extension cord for most things.

How are folks activating all their AC outlets from the inverter without going with a complicated and expensive transfer switch.......Which I simply do not have room for.

Thanks in advance
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT
11 REPLIES 11

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
and set the fridge to gas
and turn the converter off

...then plug your shore power into the inverter. That's how I do it and many others on the forum do it. But I only use it to power the TV's, dvd, etc, low power stuff. Basically, I turn off all breakers in the panel except the gfi outlets. I have a 300w PSW inverter BTW.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
Sound Guy...You've done some real nice modifications to your camper! Nice work!
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Rbertalotto wrote:
How are folks activating all their AC outlets from the inverter without going with a complicated and expensive transfer switch.......Which I simply do not have room for.

Your truck camper doesn't have a front pass through storage compartment as does my travel trailer but that's where I installed my 1000 watt sine wave inverter, wiring it to power the trailer "whole house" by simply plugging the trailer's main service cable into the inverter output, no transfer switch necessary. A series of 7 pics starts here ... surely you could find somewhere in your TC where you could do a similar installation.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I installed the small inverter in the tv sat cabinet, then run a strip inside, and run a receptical into an outside compartment too, so I got it all covered w/o a transfer switch. Keep it simple,....you won't be sorry.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Installed inverter receptacles next to the mains receptacles.

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
Great ideas all...thanks
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have an always ON DUTY 600W PSW INVERTER just to run the home entertainment items and a bunch of small 120VAC items like the WX RADIO - Chargers etc. I ran two MULTI-HEAD drop cords from the two inverter 120VAC receptacles with one going to the home entertainment center area and the other one going back close to the bed.

These multi-head extension cords usually has a ON-OFF switch as well. These are mounted to the back of a table top out of sight. No extension cords showing as I followed around things to keep it all of of sight.

This INVERTER is always ON even when we are camping at electric sites.

The INVERTER doesn't draw much current unless it is being used...

This is what I did to keep from installing a transfer switch.

I also was going to do what was suggested above about just plugging the shore power cable into the INVERTER and then having to switch off a bunch of 120VAC breakers to not overload it. This also means you probably would want to run a dedicated 120VAC OUTSIDE RECEPTACLE next the the 30A CABLE and use a RV30A-15A Adapter...

Running two out of sight drop cords from the inverter was an easier way out for me...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Transfer switch is $50. Otherwise plug the main cord into the inverter.

http://www.donrowe.com/KISAE-TS15A-Automatic-Transfer-Switch-p/ts15a.htm
This 15 amp switch would be just to power one branch circuit. If you want to power everything through the main cord you need a 30a switch for about $75.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do the truck camper the same as with the 5er. Plug the shore cord into the inverter, turn off the converter, fridge and water heater on gas. The TC is different in some details, but same method. Easy!

Some detail: I ran an extension cord from the inverter inside up inside the TC to the inside of the shore cord storage box. The batteries, converter, and inverter are all fairly close together (like everything else in a TC! ๐Ÿ™‚ ) So it is either plug the shore cord (with its 30/15 adapter of course) into the extension cord from the inverter or to a shore power pedestal (or portable gen)
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
and set the fridge to gas
and turn the converter off
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Plug your shore cord into it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman