cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Vinyl fencepost for sewer hose storage

RetiredBob
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to mount a 5"x5" vinyl fencepost for sewer hose storage. I'd like to drill a series of holes along the bottom to allow any liquid to drain out. How can I drill the holes without leaving burrs on the inside that could snag the hose?
34 REPLIES 34

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have not (yet) drilled mine, Will do that later.

Now.... Drill it, but drill the hole a bit larger than you might think (like 1" if you can) then you can get inside and clean out the burrs with a common paring knife.

Or.. Drill it then take a 8' plank (1x3 will do nicely) tape a common ice scrape (Windshield scraper) to it and run it along the bottom of the pipe to de-burr.. Again, making the holes large enough to easily inspect will help here.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
Who carries the 5" X 5" posts? I have only seen the 4" X 4" versions. Are they large enough?

Lowe's carries them here but Home Depot does not. 4x4 size is too small. I also use a plastic gutter inside the 5x5 fence post to slide the hose in.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Who carries the 5" X 5" posts? I have only seen the 4" X 4" versions. Are they large enough?

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Drill the holes in the corner of the tube where the sewer pipe will never touch them.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the step drill bits leave less of a burr than a regular bit. The real deal is to use the gutter-in-postcover. Any residual water escapes at the ends of the gutter which are next to the end caps of the post cap. No holes needed and better protection for the slinky. The gutter can also serve as a slinky support, if needed.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Use a Deburring tool.

Good idea but you will need the blade for internal holes.

Example
Yeah, but most of the tools come with several bits. It's a very handy tool to have around if you're drilling many holes.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
RetiredBob wrote:
I'm going to mount a 5"x5" vinyl fencepost for sewer hose storage. I'd like to drill a series of holes along the bottom to allow any liquid to drain out. How can I drill the holes without leaving burrs on the inside that could snag the hose?

SIMPLE make the holes like 3/4" or large enough that you can get a finger and a strip of sandpaper in the hole to smooth out the edge ... that's what I did and for the ones nearer the ends you can reach in and do the same.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Polishnurse
Explorer
Explorer
I have found that when drilling in any kind of plastic this is the drill bit to use. No shatters, break outs or burs.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-titanium-nitride-coated-high-speed-steel-step-drills-60379.html#.UxyUwfldWSo

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see what the problem is. I've drilled lots and lots of holes in vinyl (all kinds of stuff from house siding to fence posts), I've never caused burn marks. I usually use a metal boring drill bit and just drill slow. No problems, ever! You should NEVER force a drill bit, let it naturally "bite" the material. Same is true with using a saw (of any type also). Been doing this for 45 years, never a problem.

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Do what I did, get a length of PVC gutter material and slip into the fence post to use as a sliding tray. Solves that problem and makes access to hoses even easier, I keep 2 10' hoses in mine. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
TARDIS TIME TRAVELER wrote:
DRILL THE HOLES CLOSE TO THE CORNER OF THE 5"X5" POST AND THE BURS WILL BE OUT OF THE WAY.STAGGER THEM FROM SIDE TO SIDE ALONG THE LENGTH OF THE POST......

This is the best idea yet.
I'll be using this trick soon as it's easier than heating something repeatedly and no stinky fumes.
Thanks!
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Use a Deburring tool.

Good idea but you will need the blade for internal holes.

Example

TARDIS_TIME_TRA
Explorer
Explorer
DRILL THE HOLES CLOSE TO THE CORNER OF THE 5"X5" POST AND THE BURS WILL BE OUT OF THE WAY.STAGGER THEM FROM SIDE TO SIDE ALONG THE LENGTH OF THE POST......
"TARDIS" time travelers
2011 Ford F350 4X4 Super Cab Bengal Tiger
David & Holly Fox
Chesapeake, Va.