cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Heater Effiency

G_and_D
Explorer
Explorer
We use our hot water for dishes and showers in the morning and dishes at night. It seems like a waste of propane to leave the heater on when were not using hot water. I realize it takes time and propane to reheat the water but it seems that shutting the heater off and reheating each AM and PM would save propane.

Can any experts on heating mass and propane provide their expertise.

Thanks
31 REPLIES 31

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Traveling from BC through Utah to southern Mexico, we find that it is very dependent on ambient temperature. Having said that, we usually leave it off until just before we need it.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I dry camp 90 % of the time and water is the thing that I try to conserve. I always run out of water before battery power and like Rjsfisin said I hate to fiddle with the water trying to get the right temperature letting the water go down the drain. So I turn it on 15 mins before showering in the summer and 25 mins in the fall and then shut it off and can get 2 showers for 15 mins of burn time plus still wash dishes. Also something else no one else mentioned I hate to hear that burner kick on when outside camping or worse in the middle of the night and your trying to sleep.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Different take,..... has nothing to do w/ money..
First, I hate adjusting hot/cold for shower, so in 40 to 70 degree temps, I turn on the "cold" water heater for 11 minutes,(plus or minus for different temps) then turn it off, and jump in. Hot spigot only, just perfect, no mixing, no wasted water, no messing.

But besides that, my black tank goes 18 days. I want my propane to go that long too, and the only way it will, is by NOT leaving it on all the time.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Our Atwood has both electric and gas, as most do. According to the manual we can operate both at the same time. Takes a lot longer on just electric. When we use hot water we usually have plenty of it. This remind me to have the electric side checked. I have heard the propane kick on a few times in the middle of the night.
The amount ,of propane used has never been a problem. We rarely see the tank below 3/4 een when furnaces, which use much more, come on frequently.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Oh poor me, I turn on (the only spigot) wait for the water to cool down then shower, shave or wash dishes. No I will not claim a mail package that is ticking.

LittleBill
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
downtheroad wrote:
Are we making RV'ing more complicated that it is or needs to be?

Wondering how many people turn off their water heaters during the day in their stick and brick homes?

I suspect if it was as easy as moving 2' and hitting a switch many, many more would.

lol i do, i have 2 water heaters a 40 and a 50 gallon electric in series. my water heaters are controlled via a electric switch under my kitchen sink in my stick and brick

my parents have been doing it for 30 years as well

BoonHauler
Explorer
Explorer
Go Tankless!
05 RAM 3500 CTD 4x4 Q/C Laramie DRW/NV5600/3.73, B&W Gooseneck, MaxBrake, PacBrake PRXB, Brite Box Fogster, BD steering Box Brace
2014 BoonHauler 3614

64thunderbolt
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:

Wondering how many people turn off their water heaters during the day in their stick and brick homes?

I turn mine off @ home when going away for camping or vac. and also the water to the house. This is in the event of some type of failure to elec or water leak. I won't come home to a mess to clean up. If I have to scrape pennies to camp I'll quit. I leave the heater on from the time I get to camp till I leave. Upon returning from a ride through the desert or forest and covered in dirt I want to shower. Not sit around waiting for hot water. If I had to scheduled my life to a time table for showering, doing dishes etc I would ride my buggie off a cliff. Just my way of enjoying myself. It only gets complicated when someone does not agree with anothers way of doing things.

Happy camping everyone, any way you want it.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

64thunderbolt
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
I don't turn my water heater ON/OFF at home either.

BUT that is why things have on/off switches......owner can choose when to use.

A friend of mine, a wealthy guy, once asked me why the gas and power company is billing him the same every time he comes home after wintering a few months in Thailand. I showed him a button on his heater that specifically said "vacation" :). Not totally Off, but some energy-saving mode. The guy was heating all his water for months, while not needing it. It was probably "pennies" compared to his wealth, but he was glad to stop the losses. When a "take it easy" approach is more important than energy and money saving, then it's more important to that particular person and there isn't much use discussing it. On an off-grid camps I'm trying to identify such rigs and park as far away as possible from them, because the same approach they use to other loads and energy sources as well, and as a result are running their generators more than others.

Don't park close to me & my camping friends in the forest or desert cause at any given time someone will ned a gen to recharge or use 110v. We all do it and expect it. If it bothered me that much I would sell out and stay in a hotel and enjoy the trails & forest rds in a Prius.
Glen
04 Tail gator XT 34' 5th wheel garage model
200w solar 2 GC2's 800w inv
Truma tankless WH
99 F350 CC DRW 7.3 ais intake, adrenaline hpop, JW valve body,
cooling mist water inj, DP tunes, 4" exh sys
trucool trans cooler added
2011 RZR 900xp

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi doug,

My back yard testing was done at about 22 C and encompassed 24 hours of non use. It is pretty much "in the ball park". The extrapolation to propane use may be suspect.

doughere wrote:
You WILL save by turning the heater off. pianotuna estimate of waste is probably a little too high, you could use that as your benchmark worst case. Is it worth your effort or not, or do you have need for water at high temp more often than not. I changed the fixed 140 degF thermostat to an adjustable set to 120; this saves a little and prevents scalding. We keep heater off when not needed; saves a little more.

Doug

Sorry pianotuna:

My intent was to indicate that the max I think you could save by turning off some times was the 10 lbs per month.

Your calculations were correct as far as I could tell.

Regards,
Doug
Doug

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:

Do you mean the stick and brick homes that operate on a battery/solar/portable generator grid?

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:

I suspect if it was as easy as moving 2' and hitting a switch many, many more would.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
I don't turn my water heater ON/OFF at home either.

BUT that is why things have on/off switches......owner can choose when to use.

A friend of mine, a wealthy guy, once asked me why the gas and power company is billing him the same every time he comes home after wintering a few months in Thailand. I showed him a button on his heater that specifically said "vacation" :). Not totally Off, but some energy-saving mode. The guy was heating all his water for months, while not needing it. It was probably "pennies" compared to his wealth, but he was glad to stop the losses. When a "take it easy" approach is more important than energy and money saving, then it's more important to that particular person and there isn't much use discussing it. On an off-grid camps I'm trying to identify such rigs and park as far away as possible from them, because the same approach they use to other loads and energy sources as well, and as a result are running their generators more than others.