cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water heater scorched, flame out, re-ignites

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
(Camper is a 2014 Lance, second owner, out of warranty.)
The Atwood water heater is giving me concerns. It "sounds" like it has too much flame and not enough oxygen. Like the gas is turned up too high.

The water heater on propane will flame out and the igniter can be heard to "tick, tick, tick" until it re-ignites.
If I open the cover plate a little the flame will even out and burn steady.

It seems pretty evident that it is not getting enough air.
But is it?

The cover plate appears to have some carbon scorching.
The interior sheet metal appears to have been modified - it looks cut and bent as if it needed more oxygen. The sheet metal also appears scorched at the top.

Experience? Ideas? Suggestions?
Pictures:

2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats
6 REPLIES 6

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Okay, I vacuumed out the tubes. And removed the bent tube and adjustable sleeve to expose the brass orifice.
No real obstructions noted. There was a small bit of insect webbing near the brass orifice which I cleaned off.
Wiped everything clean with a micro-fiber cloth and reassembled.
Tested, and it seems to work properly now - the flame sounds like its burning steady without any flicker and it did not flame out.
Maybe I should try it with some water in it now. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Thanks for all your help!
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
Eagle Cap Owners
-Yeats

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Sounds like you have a spiderweb in your burner. As Old-Biscuit says take it apart and clean it out then reassemble. They really are pretty simple to work on. One caution. when you clean out the brass propane orifice, just do as Old-Biscuit says, soak and blow out with air.Do not run any wire through the orifice as it is a carefully calibrated opening.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nothing looks modified on that WH.

That sheet metal is the exhaust vent diffuser

Your issue is improper air/fuel ratio mixture.

You need to remove burner tube and clean it out with small bottle brush, then run a wire thru combustion chamber an dout exhaust vent....tie a rag to wire then pull it back thru to swab out combustion/exhaust 'U' tube.
Also remove main orifice (brass insert) that is screwed into gas valve and clean out the center hole (soak in alcohol and blow out with air)

Then reassemble........ fire off propane flame and adjust 'air shutter' until main flame has nice BLUE flame (Orange and loud equals soot)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Blow air through the flame path tube to verify there are no "bugs" camping in there, which will block the airflow.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:
I've been looking at mine, looks like the same model. Have you figured out where the electrode is for electric mode heating?

Here is the manual BTW:
PDF

110 VAC heating components are . . . located on the back of the water heater inside the trailer.
according to the manual.
Thanks for that link!
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
Eagle Cap Owners
-Yeats

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've been looking at mine, looks like the same model. Have you figured out where the electrode is for electric mode heating?

Here is the manual BTW:
PDF
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper