cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water level

StewB
Explorer
Explorer
How much acid should be above the plates on a lead acid battery?

Thanks for any input
Stew
13 REPLIES 13

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
I use one of these.......fill it with distilled water, insert it into battery cell, push down and water flows/stops when level reaches bottom of opening.

Easy..simple

X4 or 5 or whatever. Got mine back when I pumped gas for a living. Used it a lot back then. Works on both 6 and 12 volt batteries ๐Ÿ™‚
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

StewB
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you don't have room for the 'water jug' then you can always install a 'watering system'

That water jug has been around since, well I'm not sure. But I do remember Full Service Gas Station attendants popping the hood and using one of those water jugs on the battery
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
I use one of these.......fill it with distilled water, insert it into battery cell, push down and water flows/stops when level reaches bottom of opening.

Easy..simple

That's pretty neat. I'll have to look this up.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
The CORRECT LEVEL is that which is low enough to prevent purging at max charging and temperature. It is pre-determined by the manufacturer according to cell dimension and plate percentage fill. Start with a level 1/8" above the plates then check it again after max charge rate charging. If it did not rise a lot add a bit more water. Simple enough.

My original post still stands
Really doesn't matter as long as its above. But why not play it safer,.. keep the level 1/8" below the slots at the top ? But be sure the batt is fully charged before you do that.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, those work great,.....wherever there is enuff space above.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Easy..simple

Yup, putting that on the "immediate wish list". They work great.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

CJW8
Explorer
Explorer
That is one of the only things I like about Interstate batteries. They are translucent and you can see the levels. A lot of industrial I have seen are this way as well. On these, Min/Max levels are clearly marked.
2003 Forest River Sierra M-37SP Toy Hauler- Traded in
2015 Keystone Raptor 332TS 5th wheel toy Hauler (sold)
2004 Winnebago Vectra. 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III

Easy..simple

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
From Trojan Batteries:

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

PhilandJoyce
Explorer
Explorer
One mechanic told me that the little ridge at the bottom of each cell-fill was the indicator as to where the fluid level was supposed to be. I've always used that as my "FULL" point.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The CORRECT LEVEL is that which is low enough to prevent purging at max charging and temperature. It is pre-determined by the manufacturer according to cell dimension and plate percentage fill. Start with a level 1/8" above the plates then check it again after max charge rate charging. If it did not rise a lot add a bit more water. Simple enough.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Really doesn't matter as long as its above. But why not play it safer,.. keep the level 1/8" below the slots at the top ? But be sure the batt is fully charged before you do that.
Rich