cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What is Normal Brake Wear?

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield 5th-wheel. (36-foot with dual axles.) I had the wheel bearings repacked, brake wear checked, brakes adjusted, and tires rotated at 7,500 miles (at Les Schwab). I was told that the brakes were in good shape, but should have them checked every time I have the wheel bearings repacked.

At 15,000 miles, I took the trailer back to Les Schwab. (Note: It was my intention to have the bearings repacked every 6,000 miles as recommended by Crossroads; however, I postponed the service both times due to being on the road and not wanting to trust a service center far from home.)

This time i was told that the brakes shoes were beyond worn out and had scored and caused "hot spots" on all four drums. I needed new electric brake assemblies which included new shoes and new magnets, new drums, and new bearings and seals. Had the condition of the shoes been noticed sooner, I would have been looking at around $1100 for new brakes. Instead, it cost me around $2400.

Les Schwab came up with various ideas as to what could have caused the damage (stuck shoe, stuck magnet, etc.), but all made sense for only one or two wheels and made no sense for all four wheels.

Obviously, I will have the brakes checked more often in the future, but I do have some questions:

Is it normal for brakes to wear this quickly? If not, what could have caused premature wear? (Note: I would have expected the wear to be less than average as I always use the exhaust brake going down grades and rarely have to use the brakes.)

How often do others check for brake wear?

Thanks
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
37 REPLIES 37

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Man, that would stink having some $10/hour grunt pulling wheels, checking brakes, and then putting it all back together correctly, getting the brake drag correct, and the bearing preload set right.

We have auto inspections in Missouri, but thankfully no non-commercial trailer inspections.

Just out of curiosity, what do they charge for an inspection?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
We have annual inspection in PA on all trailers with brakes. So they get checked mandatorily.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Mine went 10 years and 40,000 and were fine. These are mostly highway miles after all.
Even in good condition I then swapped to disk.

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
Regarding the responses so far:

Yes, I may have over paid for the repair work.

and yes, I could have saved by buying the parts and doing the work myself. I have always been a big DIY'er, but the older I get, the more willing I am to pay someone else to do the work. As they say, I can't take it with me when I croak!

So how about some responses to my original questions:

How many miles should I expect to get on a set of brakes given that they are lightly used?

And, how often do most people check for brake wear?

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
$2,400 would almost put disk brakes on.

I had the same thought after it was all over and done. Hindsight is wonderful!

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
Trailer brake pads are pretty thin to start with. If a "tech" isn't familiar with that fact he/she may assume they're worn down when they really aren't.

OTOH, if you have to use a lot of brake coming down mountains then they can wear just like you see. That's still very fast brake wear though.

LS is a very reputable store. I doubt they would try to cheat anyone and besides, they have so much business that they don't have to.

I tried to be clear in my original post that I seldom use the brakes coming down mountains.

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fulltimer50 wrote:
I think you should find another "trusted" service center.
While replacing entire brake assembles is common and often cheaper than replacing the parts, the drums can be turned, and I would question the need for bearings. As mentioned there are cheaper places to get the parts.
That being said, the amount of brake wear depends on how much you use the brakes. Makes sense right? But it also depends on where the brakes are used. If you have been in the mountains, you will use the brakes more and harder. Perhaps over heating them.
Also, how you have the brake controller and shoes adjusted will affect the wear as well.

As I said, I don't use the brakes in the mountains. I use the exhaust brakes.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I believe that the trailer in question has a 16,500 GVWR and may have 8,000 lb. axles. Etrailer prices for complete brake assemblies and drums is about $1,800 so if 8,000 lb. axles is the case, he really didn't get ripped off.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
BurbMan wrote:
I did all 4 wheels on my trailer with standard 12x2 brakes, upgraded to self-adjusting shoes. New brake assemblies (pad, magnet, back plate and hardware), new drums, new seals and new bearings for all 4 wheels was about $450 including shipping from e-trailer. Took less than a day to do in my driveway.

About 4 times per year Eastern Marine .com will have Dexter Nevradjust backing assemblies on sale but you have to keep checking their site to catch when they do it. You can get two pair shipped UPS for less than $170.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Who the hell is Les Schwab? The brother of Earl "I'll paint any car for $59.95" Schwab? Those were special paint jobs, could of done better with a brush and a gallon of Sherwin Williams porch and floor enamel lol.

I think I would avoid Les just because of the Schwab part lol.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did all 4 wheels on my trailer with standard 12x2 brakes, upgraded to self-adjusting shoes. New brake assemblies (pad, magnet, back plate and hardware), new drums, new seals and new bearings for all 4 wheels was about $450 including shipping from e-trailer. Took less than a day to do in my driveway.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
In Les Schwabโ€™s defense, I have dealt with them twice and treated very well.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
Trailer brake pads are pretty thin to start with. If a "tech" isn't familiar with that fact he/she may assume they're worn down when they really aren't.

New Dexter brake shoes only have 0.220 lining, a hair more than 7/32 ".

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Used to be less swabe customer. Caught them in big lie. I do like their batteries though. They were lots better 10 yrs ago.

Miles ahead if you learn to do stuff your self.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad