cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where did you get your Electrical knowledge?

path1
Explorer
Explorer
I've been a member for a short time and have noticed the electrical knowledge on here surprises me. And I'm grateful for your sharing. There has been couple times that I wish this forum had a "donate" button for some of the response's.

For myself I can figure out easy stuff with a volt meter and sometimes on the right position for what I'm doing or track down a bad connection or fuse:B

OK...It's been bugging me, I just have to ask.

Where did you get your knowledge at? IMO some people must of been elec engineers, others a life long hobby?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
77 REPLIES 77

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
My "knowledge" of electricity started at about age 3 when I stuck a key in an electrical outlet. Mine like many others is practical knowledge gained through trial and error, necessity, reading, watching others, asking questions and common sense, other than the key thing at age three.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
To many pages here for my tired old mind to comprehend, so I'll just list what a lot of others have said. Elect Apprentice at 14, TM on a submarine with a stint in ET school, OJT working for City Of Los Angeles in the traffic signal field, augmented by some classes at a Community College. I still don't know much about batteries and chargers but I can repair a disk type synchronous motor or install and repair FO cables. I guess some of the more important things applicable here were learned here.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
Got an "Electrical Kit" for Christmas at the age of 10. Batteries, DC motor, lights cores and wire. Next year a Electronic Kit with tube, capacitors resistors etc and built amplifiers and radios. Had to take one apart to make the next! So a receiver and a transmitter but not at the same time!

1957 ARRL Radio Amateur's Handbook. Heavy going for an eleven year old but I got the basics.

Worked as an apprentice (gofor!) in the radio-TV service business in the late 60s and early 70s

As an adult I assisted the electrician rewire (60A service to a 200A service) my old house then built and wired my new ham shack starting with the sub panel. It passed the inspection! In fact the final inspection came in the mail! The inspector had me wire an outlet and light switch when he came to inspect the rough in so I guess he figured I knew what I was doing.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
path1 wrote:

I now know from reading here that I better plan on using our generator.

Not necessarily. Briefly, without deviating from this thread - solar is one part, and energy conservation is another part of the equation. I wrote more on this in that other thread of yours.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
My interest started at around age six. I watched my brother do you-know-what on an electric fence. The outcome fascinated me...

CJW8
Explorer
Explorer
I am pleasantly surprised how many of you are military trained or are/were defense contractors, even some "rocket scientist"! A SHOUT OUT to you! Thank you for your service!
2003 Forest River Sierra M-37SP Toy Hauler- Traded in
2015 Keystone Raptor 332TS 5th wheel toy Hauler (sold)
2004 Winnebago Vectra. 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Started with my Grandfather with his hand built ham radio and such.

Then the library. Such as in 4th grade when most are looking at comic books I checked out a book and home built a motor from junk in the garage.

Then mostly through automotive repair training and electric repairs at family owned rental apartments.

Learned a lot here also 😉

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Path, with forums and youtube, you can learn whatever you want or need. I have no formal training in anything electrical, but I have modded all 4 of our RV's charging systems. I'm finishing up a solar install on our current one.

Before the internet, I bought DIY books about electrical stuff when I needed to learn.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
steve-n-vicki wrote:
I stayed at a holiday inn express

I was there too. You ate the last donut before I got down to the breakfast!
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
path1 wrote:

"does it really matter?"

Don't you find it interesting?

Nope. This is the nature of internet. If you go to cooking forum, you'll be surprised how many people - even in your area - know about cooking some Mexican cacti that you haven't heard of. Internet forums are specialized by areas of interest. People with interest in electrical/solar things are here.

Many have learned a lot about solar on this forum (including me). This is to be expected. Exchanging ideas on a specialized forum is a form of continuing education, like a seminar of sorts. You tune-up your previously obtained knowledge. Or sometimes learn basics from the scratch, or get a quick answer without having to learn, like in you situation with solar. Well, relatively quick, 9 pages and counting.

As to the military - nothing new here either. Army has been known to train a person in basic skills (very basic) in a certain area, and the results are usually good because you have no choice but learn there. Army types are more prone to nomadic life as well, and RV-ing TAD satisfies this need.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
WHAT A SHOCKING QUESTION!

path1
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Almot wrote:
Path1 - does it really matter?
He's gone.

No I'm here.

"does it really matter?"

Don't you find it interesting?

I never gave elec a second thought till I started reading this forum. Seems some had a passion for it when young and developed it into a their working career. Also interesting to me was how many mentioned the military.

If you are still considering that big solar powerhouse on a small RV - you've probably realized already what can be done here. Which isn't much.

I now know from reading here that I better plan on using our generator.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Almot wrote:
Path1 - does it really matter?
He's gone.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

PFitt
Explorer
Explorer
Electrician at Flint Truck Asm. Building the Best HD CHEVY and GMC Trucks every day.