cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wireless Fridge Thermometer - Are they accurate?

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
I have tried a variety of wireless thermometers in the refrigerator and freezer compartments. Currently using an AcuRite 00986 designed to work inside the refrigerator and freezer compartments. These things over the years have proven to be helpful and sort of drive me nuts. They are helpful to let you know there is a problem with the temperature and have 'alarms' that will go off. Hurtful because I think at times they are OFF in accuracy. Using several old fashioned thermometers and a dial frig thermometer, I have seen anywhere from 5-10 degree difference from the digital to the old fashioned thermometer. 5-10 degree difference in the refrigerator can be the difference between thinking your food has spoiled and it not really being a problem. The digital seems to always show a HIGHER temperature than the old fashioned thermometers. Anyone have any experience using these? I keep fresh batteries in these babies but I think they are just inaccurate despite the name Acurite.
15 REPLIES 15

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have both Accurite and Lacross. Agreement does not often happen but 1-2 Degrees off is normal.. of course the senders are in different places and that can affect things too. The one in the fridge is a Lacross.. I tried it in the freezer but it ceased transmitting due to cold. I'd use a calibrated dial or liquid type in the freezer Calibration explained above.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
I had an Accurite and it was not at all accurate (in spite of the name) just more junk in my junk bucket...

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok how to calibrate

You need some ice (make with DISTILLED water please) About 2 cups worth
A styrafoam cooler
A container of water
A zip lock bag
The remote sensor

Put ice in bottom of cooler add water to cover the ice (also distilled by the way) place sensor in zip lock bag and seal. pace it on top of the ice/water and close the lid. come back in about an hour or 3 and read the meter. if it's 32 you are golden 31 or 33 may also be accurate depending on altitude.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I just grab the one from the stick home to take camping with me. Has been checked against a mercury one and it works fine.

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
I use the accurate and recently upgraded to SensorPush for logging purposes. I made a thread about a few months back.

Jim-Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Been using Ambient Weather WS-10 Wireless Indoor/Outdoor 8 channel Thermo-Hygrometer for a couple of years. We have one sensor in freezer, refrig, under one slide in the shade, one in storage compartment and one in container with water filter. I use Lithium batteries in all units and they have excellent life span. System comes with three sensors and display console. Worth looking at.

Jim

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The wireless ones (Well the quality ones) are more likely to be accurate but you need to know how to calibrate them This can best be done at 32 degrees but depending on how accrate you want them you will need DISTILLED water and of course a water proof "Sleeve" for the transmitter.

one indication of accuracy is to put the two units (indoor and remote) side by side.

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
I've used remote thermometers from La Crosse for quite a while and they seem to work fairly well. I have a 2 channel that reads inside, outside and fridge temps.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Accuracy is not as important as repeat-ability. I have found my Acurite wireless thermometer is very consistent with a dial thermometer that I have in the fridge. They almost always are within 2 degrees of each other.
So if you find the wireless reports 2 degrees high or low just take that into account when you take a reading.
I use Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries(good for -40 f) in my sensors and even in the freezer I get about two years service.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Most thermometers have a listed +/- percent of accuracy on the box or the instruction sheet. "No guarantee", just an estimate. Try a professional instrument company, they guarantee accuracy.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We've used an AcuRite dual sensor refrigerator/freezer wireless thermometer in two motorhomes so far and been very pleased with the performance. The sensor batteries last 6-8 months and the display batteries 10-12 months.

AcuRite 00986 Refrigerator Thermometer
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
The thermal mass of a sensor versus a glass bulb thermometer is going to be very different. Because of this, one will more quickly respond to change than the other. Hopefully in a steady state condition they will be within maybe 5 degrees of each other.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
SidecarFlip wrote:
Accuracy all depends on the quality of the non-contact sensor whereas an analog temp sensor depends on a bi-metallic strip. My Accurite seems pretty close but then all one needs to be concerned with is how close to freezing is the compartment.

:h

OP isn't talking about IR guns here (no contact) and most old school analog "bi-metallic" thermometers now days are pretty cheaply built and not very plentiful to find.

OP is talking about using a WIRELESS (two pieces, a remote transmitter which goes in the fridge and the display unit which can sit on a counter and no wires connecting the two parts) thermometer to monitor the inside temps of a fridge.

I am not a fan of wireless thermometers for this purpose, the constant near freezing to sub freezing temps found in fridge/freezers quickly zaps the life out of the batteries in the remote sensor.

This can cause inaccuracies in readings and tends to zap battery life considerably.

I prefer to use indoor/outdoor WIRED type which have a wired remote probe. I simply slip the remote wire in between the door seal in a spot which will not interfere with getting things in and out of the fridge (think HINGE SIDE of the door).

Then tie or stick probe to one of the shelves.

The batteries are now outside of the fridge and are not affected by the near freezing or sub freezing temps inside the fridge..

Wired are also much more reliable, should not have any issue finding wired types for $5-$20.. AMAZON SEARCH FOR WIRED THERMOMETER

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Accuracy all depends on the quality of the non-contact sensor whereas an analog temp sensor depends on a bi-metallic strip. My Accurite seems pretty close but then all one needs to be concerned with is how close to freezing is the compartment.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB