Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yamaha Generator question

EnzoColorado
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm brand new to using generators.

A few months ago I bought a new Yamaha EF2000ISV2 generator. When I hooked it up to my travel trailer and try to run the microwave, the light in the microwave flickers and I can hear the sound from the microwave is lower and fluctuate compared to when connected to a outlet. I tried both the smart throttle setting and the full setting, both result in the same thing. I also noticed when the microwave is on, the generator's motor's pitch and frequency seems to be lower. The microwave also doesn't seem to heat up food much. Is there something wrong with the generator or am I not using it correctly? n
2017 Starcraft AR-ONE MAXX 20BHLE
2012 Suburban 2500 LT 4WD
35 REPLIES 35

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo wrote:
jfak7670 wrote:
Not so long ago I bought a new Yamaha EF2000iSv2 generator. Maybe someone has already had an experience with this gen and can suggest how many appliances can I run with it?

About 12 or 13 amps. You have to add up the amp draw for each appliance. If the batteries are low, the converter/charger may take up most or all of that.

I have the 2000 watt Honda. It is dedicated to charging low batteries, and nothing else. Everything else is on propane. No microwave while batteries are charging. No hair dryer while batteries are charging.

turn off the breaker if you need to run an appliance?

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
jfak7670 wrote:
Not so long ago I bought a new Yamaha EF2000iSv2 generator. Maybe someone has already had an experience with this gen and can suggest how many appliances can I run with it?

About 12 or 13 amps. You have to add up the amp draw for each appliance. If the batteries are low, the converter/charger may take up most or all of that.

I have the 2000 watt Honda. It is dedicated to charging low batteries, and nothing else. Everything else is on propane. No microwave while batteries are charging. No hair dryer while batteries are charging.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

jfak7670
Explorer
Explorer

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with the others. At 9,000' you need two of the generators paralleled. Even then, you are not over powering your RV.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
At 9000' it's not even worth trying IMO. A commonly used rule of thumb is 10% output loss for every 3000' of altitude. With that, the 1600 VA continuous rating would be 1020 VA, and the 2000 VA surge rating would be 1400 VA. A 1000 watt microwave will bust even the surge rating.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
That microwave is probably pushing the capacity of that generator..
Yes it is, close to running the air.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
That generator is rated at 1600W continuous. That is about 13A @ 120VAC. That microwave is probably pushing the capacity of that generator.

The EF2400iSHC would be much better at that task.

IMHO, all of the "one hand luggable" generators are "missing the mark" The should be 2800W/2400W (true 20A continuous) output. The Westinghouse iGen 2500 is the closest.

winniman
Explorer II
Explorer II
My friends rv has an electrical management system. Even when nothing is turned on, but plugged into shore power, his management system reads between 3amps and 7 amps. Im assuming this is his charging system because nothing else is on. If that is the case, and you have not had the generator running, the batteries are not completely charged. Therefore, when you start the genny, the charging system is going online to recharge your batteries. If my friends rv is any yardstick, this is between 400, and almost 800 watts that the charger is taking. This is between a quarter, and half of what your genny is putting out. Turn off the charger, run a cord straight to the microwave, or get a bigger genny. As stated, higher altitude steals a portion of the power as well.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Plug in a volt meter and tell us what you see. With TRUE SINE Inverter generators you may or may not be able to use a Kill-a-Watt (there is debate on this I have a Kill-a-watt plugged into a true-sine-wave inverter powered line no problems. others have reported problems)

You can also use an analog volt meter I have 2 of those that plug in too one was free (won a drawing) the other I paid for (Too much) at Camping world.

The one I like best is by MFJ enterprises and is a plug in meter with pass through (that's my favorite analog) you can google MFJ plug in voltmeter.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
midnightsadie wrote:
get a bigger gen set.
get another and parallel them.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
At 9K feet that gen is doing all it can to run the MW.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
get a bigger gen set.

DR650
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same issue with my microwave when powering it with a single Honda EU2000 generator.
Elevation will diminish the performance of generators (I see Colorado in your username). When I'm camping in Colorado and need to use the microwave I go ahead and parallel both of my Honda's together.
2008 F350 V10, Auto, Crew Cab, XLT, Long Bed
2005 Rockwood 2104
2017 Yamaha XT250 Dual Sport Motorcycle

EnzoColorado
Explorer II
Explorer II
road-runner wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Voltage does sag a bit toward maximum output on these generators.
This is the likely answer and a good voltage measurement is the only way to know for sure. The eu2000i voltage goes down to about 110 when it's heavily loaded. If your shore power is a solid 120 volts or higher, you'll see and hear the difference. It's easy to mistakenly think there aren't any other loads on the generator when there really are. Fridge and converter are the common culprits. A 1000 watt microwave pulls close to the rated load of a 2000 VA generator. If there are any other AC loads, high ambient temperature, or high altitude involved, an additional load will push the generator close to or over it's shutdown threshold. When the generator is heavily loaded, the only thing the eco switch will do is enhance the probability of the load device starting up. Once it's running, the eco switch does nothing.

Okay, next time (spring) I'll shut off the converter and turn off the fridge (which uses propane to cool but electricity for the control circuit), and lights. We don't have TV or any other electrical stuff. We generally camp at 9000 ft or higher so that may have to do with decreased output of the generator.
2017 Starcraft AR-ONE MAXX 20BHLE
2012 Suburban 2500 LT 4WD

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
Voltage does sag a bit toward maximum output on these generators.
This is the likely answer and a good voltage measurement is the only way to know for sure. The eu2000i voltage goes down to about 110 when it's heavily loaded. If your shore power is a solid 120 volts or higher, you'll see and hear the difference. It's easy to mistakenly think there aren't any other loads on the generator when there really are. Fridge and converter are the common culprits. A 1000 watt microwave pulls close to the rated load of a 2000 VA generator. If there are any other AC loads, high ambient temperature, or high altitude involved, an additional load will push the generator close to or over it's shutdown threshold. When the generator is heavily loaded, the only thing the eco switch will do is enhance the probability of the load device starting up. Once it's running, the eco switch does nothing.
2009 Fleetwood Icon