cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High capacity 20" tires for truck

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
I posted this on the Silverado/Sierra forum and got one response... "good luck." Since folks on this forum are more into towing than jacking trucks up to make them look macho, I'll see if anyone here knows of anything:

My wife and I are full-time RVers. Our truck is a 2013 Sierra 2500HD SLT CC D/A with the 20" wheel option. While the 20" alloy wheels look very nice, I'm having trouble finding a higher capacity tire than the stock LT265/60R20 load range Es that came on the truck. I'm looking for input on either: 1) load range F tires in the LT265/60R20 size, or 2) suggestions for replacement wheels in a size where load range F tires would be available without changing the outside diameter of the tire/wheel combo (currently 32.5"). I'm happy with the current gear ratio and the performance of the D/A when pulling our house-on-wheels. I could tolerate a slightly smaller diameter, but not anything larger (wouldn't mind a few more RPMs at cruise where the tranny would shift into 6th a little sooner).

The pin weight on our fiver as currently loaded is right at 3,000# which puts us just barely under the rear axle rating (GAWRR) for the truck when pulled across the scales (verified both on CAT scales and a wheel-by-wheel weight system proprietary to one of our RV clubs). The total capacity of the tires is a few hundred pounds above the axle rating, but I'd still like to increase that safety margin. I understand that no aftermarket modification (tires, air bags, etc.) can/will increase the ratings of the truck... it is what it is. I'm just looking to increase the safety margin on the most likely thing to fail.
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015
24 REPLIES 24

what kind of tires were they?

Ignoring that you are replying to an 8 year old thread, this statement is really generalized. While tires do play a factor in payload, not all trucks have as much payload as you stated. There are a LOT of other factors not the least of which is the model of the truck itself. 

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

I was answering the question asked about higher capacity 20" tires, was not trying to be the tow police slamming his quest for a tire that gave him a bigger safety margin. All Ford SuperDuty& GM HD trucks currently use the 20" Tires with tbe 3750 rating.  I answered his question. If you want to criticize people at least know what you're talking about!

I am sure the OP would appreciate your input - if you had a time machine that went back 8 years. 

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

These forums are looked for years by people looking for information. Please find someone else to harass! Have a wonderful day!

ignoring your ignoring response lol, although it's 8 years later some of us are still looking for the highest load rated tire we can get for added safety while having a heavy truck camper. If my trucks rated for 7k rear axle capacity I would want 10k capacity if available, even if my rear axle weight was 6k.

so make it relivent and start a new thread.  there are so many new brands and models of tires out now than there were 8,9,10 years ago.  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
But the rim is not rated for it so its a mute point. Why you dont see 20" wheel option on 3500 GM trucks.

Find someone with 18" GM wheels looking to trade.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Agree you have to go up in size a bit. Then you can find tires up to 4000lbs. The skinnier and shorter sidewalls generally have lower weight rating.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
Second Chance wrote:
I posted this on the Silverado/Sierra forum and got one response... "good luck." Since folks on this forum are more into towing than jacking trucks up to make them look macho, I'll see if anyone here knows of anything:

My wife and I are full-time RVers. Our truck is a 2013 Sierra 2500HD SLT CC D/A with the 20" wheel option. While the 20" alloy wheels look very nice, I'm having trouble finding a higher capacity tire than the stock LT265/60R20 load range Es that came on the truck. I'm looking for input on either: 1) load range F tires in the LT265/60R20 size, or 2) suggestions for replacement wheels in a size where load range F tires would be available without changing the outside diameter of the tire/wheel combo (currently 32.5"). I'm happy with the current gear ratio and the performance of the D/A when pulling our house-on-wheels. I could tolerate a slightly smaller diameter, but not anything larger (wouldn't mind a few more RPMs at cruise where the tranny would shift into 6th a little sooner).

The pin weight on our fiver as currently loaded is right at 3,000# which puts us just barely under the rear axle rating (GAWRR) for the truck when pulled across the scales (verified both on CAT scales and a wheel-by-wheel weight system proprietary to one of our RV clubs). The total capacity of the tires is a few hundred pounds above the axle rating, but I'd still like to increase that safety margin. I understand that no aftermarket modification (tires, air bags, etc.) can/will increase the ratings of the truck... it is what it is. I'm just looking to increase the safety margin on the most likely thing to fail.

You're probably going to need to go to a different sized tire. RAM and Ford have different sized OEM 20" tires. You'd get the cheapest 20" tires with the ford OEM size at 275/65R20 due to the sheer volume of superduties versus the other two brands. Those tires are rated at about 3750 lbs a piece versus the 3200 lbs a piece on your current truck. RAM OEM 20" tires are 285/60R20. These tires are rated at 3,650 lbs a tire.

To get the closest tire size, your tires are 32.5" Tall and 10.7" wide roughly. The RAM tires are 33.5" tall and 11.5" wide. Still, the dimensions are not that far apart and will probably result in a slight inaccuracy on your speedo. The Ford OEM size is about 34.5" tall and 11" wide. Tallest of the 3 and may be a fitment problem for your truck if you don't have any leveling kit.

Hopefully this helps a bit.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)