cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Light Japanese Trucks used as Tow Vehicles here

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Much to my surprise Japanese Light Trucks are gaining momentum for pulling 26ft+ Travel Trailers

56 REPLIES 56

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I have to take it the other way Grit. I have always enjoyed seeing a post from RobertRyan showing what's in Australia.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Local company had 6 of the Isuzu. They went back to a chassis cab & box when they replaced them.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
RR, what is your point? You tout a 5.2L at 2300 ft lbs and then back peddle to 13-15L.

Oh and no one cares about towing with a Fuso on this website. Weโ€™re in America not Australia.
No vegemite, no kangaroos, Fosters s ucks and we have Ford Chevy and Dodge.
Do they not have a local RV site for you to converse on down there where people care about what you are saying?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
rexlion wrote:
Shucks, if I had a truck that size I wouldn't need a trailer! I'd build out the box as a camper. ๐Ÿ™‚

I remember seeing an Isuzu box truck (think city delivery vehicle) where the guy had taken the "box" off and had a small (22 foot ish) trailer mounted on the bedrails. Pretty cool idea, I thought.

Diesel engine, air ride suspension, plenty of frame to haul the RV and whatever trailer he wanted to pull.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
RobertRyan wrote:
RoyJ wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
That Fuso is only a 3 Litre Diesel, these are 5.2 Diesels
Fuso can go to 480hp, 2300lb ft of torque

I don't doubt they can make that on a dyno, but unlikely to hold up at those power levels.

Even the Euro tractors with twin/compound turbos need 15L+ to make those torque numbers reliably. I'd leave it stock, we buy Japanese for reliability afterall.

Japanese very from 13 to 15 litres. top horsepower is 520hp

So...a standard, albeit derated, class 8 engine, then. 500hp is nothing unusual here...the single axle daycabs at work are over 400.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:
RoyJ wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:

I don't doubt they can make that on a dyno, but unlikely to hold up at those power levels.

Even the Euro tractors with twin/compound turbos need 15L+ to make those torque numbers reliably. I'd leave it stock, we buy Japanese for reliability afterall.

I totally mis-read your message, I thought you meant the 5.2 diesel can go up to 480hp / 2300 lb-ft :S

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Robert I was referring to what most use for a caravan or FW here in Australia, I know that some are using semis but not many.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Slownsy wrote:
The main problem here in Australia is that the F Trucks etcetera has to be converted here at a cost of $40000 on top of transportation and duty, makes them $150000+ and can only go by manufacturers ratings, so 250 only about 1000kg my F350 1560kg payload where the small trucks like Iveco Canter etcetera are 2-3000kg payload and half the price.
Frank.

Frank or vastly more payload depending on Japanese truck and type. 4x4 MDT'can get about10,000lb payload

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
RoyJ wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
The main problem here in Australia is that the F Trucks etcetera has to be converted here at a cost of $40000 on top of transportation and duty, makes them $150000+ and can only go by manufacturers ratings, so 250 only about 1000kg my F350 1560kg payload where the small trucks like Iveco Canter etcetera are 2-3000kg payload and half the price.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
LOL.... then the bass boat crowd with 300 hp...21' bass boats running 90 mph to catch a 6 lb bass.
Seriously tho LTL size trucking industry in the USA uses the newer gen one ton DRW trucks pulling at 35k-38k GCW and carrying 6500-7000 in the bed payloads.

Moving up to a 450/4500 diesels cab/chassis can give the hauler a 8000-8500 lb on a custom haulers bed payload and 45k+ GCW.

Or a 550/5500 diesels cab/chassis for 50k plus GCW and over 10k on the bed payloads.

No need for a Japans trucks here in the USA to pull a RV trailer or a commercial trailer.
We see very few Japans trucks around here but the few in operation are mostly fleet trucks.

We have to admit the hotshot industry is a small slice of the HD pickup market. But yes, used that way they're very good at what they do.

I think where the Japanese cabovers excel are expedition builds. If you get a 4x4, you can build a camper shell, and still have decent offroad performance.

With a 1 ton pickup, unless you get a single cab, it gets too long. With Class 4 - 5, good luck without a serious lift and 40+ inch military tires.

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:
RoyJ wrote:
The Fuso, a lowly 161 hp. But, it's meant for efficiency in commercial use, not high performance recreation.

Recreation demands "fun factor". Look at boats - an offshore sports fisher can run 1500 hp, all to catch 3 tunas. A commercial trawler with a 25,000 lbs salmon hold may run a 90hp Perkins.

The one I drove was a 3.9 liter, 140 hp IIRC. (this was about 15 years ago) It could not maintain 60 mph on a 6% grade empty. The 5.2L Isuzus have much more power, but still only half what a new HD diesel pickup has. They might haul 5K and tow 9K on the flat at 60 mph, but on a grade it's 35 mph, right lane, flashers on. I see it all the time with the landscape company trucks. Many of them run a crewcab with a 12' landscape body towing a large tandem axle enclosed trailer so they are probably at about the aforementioned weights. And they are miserably slow on the hills.

what you talking about was pretty underpowered, again it is a light Truck. You can have a 10,000lb payload same 8000lb/ 9000lb Caravan 4x4 Truck. Depends on the truck you use. I doubt anyone here would use a Japanese Tractor truck, but you even get them cheaply enough 2nd hand.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
RobertRyan wrote:
RoyJ wrote:
The Fuso, a lowly 161 hp. But, it's meant for efficiency in commercial use, not high performance recreation.

Recreation demands "fun factor". Look at boats - an offshore sports fisher can run 1500 hp, all to catch 3 tunas. A commercial trawler with a 25,000 lbs salmon hold may run a 90hp Perkins.

The one I drove was a 3.9 liter, 140 hp IIRC. (this was about 15 years ago) It could not maintain 60 mph on a 6% grade empty. The 5.2L Isuzus have much more power, but still only half what a new HD diesel pickup has. They might haul 5K and tow 9K on the flat at 60 mph, but on a grade it's 35 mph, right lane, flashers on. I see it all the time with the landscape company trucks. Many of them run a crewcab with a 12' landscape body towing a large tandem axle enclosed trailer so they are probably at about the aforementioned weights. And they are miserably slow on the hills.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
RoyJ wrote:

LOL.... then the bass boat crowd with 300 hp...21' bass boats running 90 mph to catch a 6 lb bass.
Seriously tho LTL size trucking industry in the USA uses the newer gen one ton DRW trucks pulling at 35k-38k GCW and carrying 6500-7000 in the bed payloads.

Moving up to a 450/4500 diesels cab/chassis can give the hauler a 8000-8500 lb on a custom haulers bed payload and 45k+ GCW.

Or a 550/5500 diesels cab/chassis for 50k plus GCW and over 10k on the bed payloads.

No need for a Japans trucks here in the USA to pull a RV trailer or a commercial trailer.
We see very few Japans trucks around here but the few in operation are mostly fleet trucks.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides