cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Show your mods!!

Mr_Usa
Explorer
Explorer
This is a removeable DVD stand I made out of conduit and wood for the back bunk in our Jayco 23B. swivels and tilted slightly. I also made one that will slide in the post where our regular TV sits for those "Dry camping" days!!

Weather station.

Clock installed above Dinette.

No need to bring a chunk of wood with.

08 Jayco 23B
02 Sequoia SR5 I-Force V8
Equalizer Hitch
The wife, Mrs. Usa
Our son AJ
Norman & his lil Buddy
499 REPLIES 499

lzasitko
Explorer
Explorer
@mcallough There are wall anchors made for hollow walls that may help.

Some are a toggle bolt where there is a ridged wing(s) that will spread out on the inside of the wall.

There are anchors that you insert in a hole and then tighten a screw and it has a cage that then bends behind the wall. Once compressed all the way you can remove the screw and reinsert as you need to.

You might be able to use well nuts, these are a metal sleeve and a rubber insert that when screwed down will expand to hold. These would probably be the weakest method.

Screws with the plastic inserts I wouldn't use, they just don't hold well enough. Someone used these to hold a flip up table and small bar to the wall in our MH and over time they have come loose.

Might have to mount a larger piece of wood to the wall, then mount the tv bracket to that. Best would be if the wood was mounted into two studs (one on either end). Studs in most rv's are pretty easy to find.

mcallough
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone mounted a flat screen TV on a swivel mount? I am concerned as to how to actually mount this because i am not familiar with whats behind the walls (e.g. i need it to be string enough to take the movements). I see allot of people mount them on the cabinet but in my case this is not an option. Of the two walls I can mount it on one is the wall around the fridge and seems weak and the other is the main wall. I suspect the later is the best to mount it on but not sure if either is strong enough.. Any suggestions?

I have a Coachman Freedom Express 17SDX.

SockyG
Explorer
Explorer
After having one or two "experiences" with arriving after dark at campgrounds, I decided I needed to do something to add a bit of extra lighting to my HTT. Twice I've run into having to back into very tight approaches to our site and during the day this would prove no obstacle, but with poor lighting at night, this was quite challenging.

I started looking at mounting some aftermarket driving lamps under the rear bumper to illuminate both rearward and alongside the wheels. That's about the time that I stumbled on the Blazer Heavy Duty Magnetic Work Light.

These things come with a 20' cable wired to a cigarette lighter plug. I ended up buying two of these from Tractor Supply. I promptly chopped off the cigarette lighter adapters and added Anderson Powerpoles to each lamp.

The next thing I needed to do was get power out to the rear bumper. Conveniently, my converter on my X19H is right below the rear bunk, so I was able to go right up through the flooring to grab power. I ran this to a 4-Flat trailer extension (wired as two hots and two grounds -- the exposed post being a ground).

The 4-Flat has a weather-protective cap to keep this thing out of the elements.

Since I wanted to be able to use either one lamp by itself or two together, I made an adapter from the other side of the 4-Flat to two Anderson Powerpoles.

And with two matings of Powerpoles... let there be light!

With the magnets on these things, I can easily position them above/below the rear bumper to illuminate behind the trailer and along the side to spot the wheels for a pivot into a tight site. And since they are not fixed permanently to the bumper and come with 20' cords, I can easily use them as work lamps during other aspects of camping.
Gary W.

2011 Jayco Jay Feather 19H
2008 Chevy Trailblazer I6 4.2L 3.42

Nights camped:
2012 -- 11 (so far!)
2011 -- 29
2010 -- 22
2009 -- 8
2008 -- 10

featherhybrid
Explorer
Explorer
I was told with my first HTT that warranties were voided if you put the screens on but does not seem to be the case any more. I have the screens on everything, but not home-made ones, I bought the ones mades specifically for my appliances to ensure a good fit and to be sure I do not impede air flow. Where we live, they are a must over all openings where propane is used because mud daubers will build their nests in a matter of days when I am parked. I've even had mud daubers build a nest on one of my A/C fan fins. Tried to get a screen for the A/C on my new HTT but no luck. Just need to make sure I run the A/C every so often so they don't have time to get busy up there.
2012 Jayco Feather Ultralite X23B (traded in '07 Trailcruiser C243S)
2007 Expedition EB Limited

my_toys
Explorer
Explorer
D.MillsS77--Many do it. I asked the dealer when I picked up my new camper. They do not suggest it.
2014 Jayco Jayflight Swift 264BH
2008 Nissan Pathfinder

Nancy-USAF Veteran; Dear Hubby Joe-USAF Retired

Why do we have to push 1 for English?

D_MILLS77
Explorer
Explorer
popeye59 wrote:
Didnโ€™t want mud daubers taking up residence in my furnace vent or water heater enclosure and I didnโ€™t want to spend $45.00 for the form fitted covers so I went to Michaels and found some stuff called WireForm which was on clearance for $2.99 for a 16โ€x20โ€ piece of screening material. The stuff I got has a 1/8โ€ mesh.

Here is the stuff placed under the furnace vent plate. The furnace is in operation and has been for about 10 minutes when I took the picture. Wanted to make sure the aluminum screening was durable enough.

Here is what it looks like on the water heater vent opening. That one was easiest as the square screen piece put in by the manufacturer just popped out and back in.

Now I just need to figure out a way to screen off the vent by the refrigerator.

New to the Trailer world, is there a reason to cover these vents? I read something about bugs. I just bought my first real trailer and would like to keep it as nice as possible.

my_toys
Explorer
Explorer
My mods so far....updated http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/578459595fvqQNt

These are mods to the storage area in front of the rear bed. http://community.webshots.com/album/579074786jAPtLb
2008 Nissan Pathfinder

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
my toys wrote:
My mods so far...updated. http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/578459595fvqQNt

Here are some for the area in front of the rear bed. http://community.webshots.com/album/579074786jAPtLb

your links don't work.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

my_toys
Explorer
Explorer
Try the one below.
2008 Nissan Pathfinder

HeyJude
Explorer
Explorer

Very nice!
2 DD both grown.
2 GC-loves of my life!
Campground lot in Harrison MI.
looking for good used 5th wheel.

FerrisFamilyof5
Explorer
Explorer
put in a new hardwood floor. this is looking in the door.

Toward the back

Toward the front

also bought a set of theseand mounted to a board so they don't tip over. Work great and we picked up a bunch more room. Got a few more mods up my sleeve, thanks to RVNET!
Nights camped in 2016 - 31
2015 Forest River Vibe
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71
me daHusband :C
daWife :?
daSon :B
daBaby boy ๐Ÿ˜› (ok so he's 13...still daBaby)
daDog

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
The fridge uses the least amount of propane, I mean, it's just a pilot light. The fridge also stays pretty cold as long as the door stays shut. Big problem is running out of propane at 2:30am when the furnace dies and you have to go switch the tanks in 35 degree weather with rain. Of course you can align both tanks for night use if you think you are getting close.
Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

The things that come to those that wait will be the junky stuff left by those that got there 1st.

Remember; never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
popeye59 wrote:
botterbein wrote:
segen77 wrote:
botterbein wrote:
Our rig has a valve that automatically switches tanks when one runs out, and changes colors when that happens. I've also found a local propane supplier that charges for what they pump, not a flat fee on the tank, so even if it's half full, we just pay for what we get.

i don't suppose you have a link to where i can buy said valve?

Camping world has the one I have:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/propane-auto-changeover-two-stage-regulator/24030

Mine came with that standard. Different brand I'm sure as it looks different, same principal. It was receommended that I leave it set up to not shift automatically because you might not know tank 1 was empty and when tank 2 goes empty, you're out of gas. If you leave it set up to not shift, you may have to have to go out and shift tanks, but you'll know you need to refill the first one.

The problem with not having it switch automatically is your first tank could run out while you were away from the camper and your refrigerator stop working if you are running on propane (like when boondocking). Leave both tanks on and just check your switchover valve occasionally to see if one tank has run out.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

botterbein
Explorer
Explorer

Mine came with that standard. Different brand I'm sure as it looks different, same principal. It was receommended that I leave it set up to not shift automatically because you might not know tank 1 was empty and when tank 2 goes empty, you're out of gas. If you leave it set up to not shift, you may have to have to go out and shift tanks, but you'll know you need to refill the first one.

The center dot changes from green to orange-red, when the tanks shift over, so you know one is empty, and the other is being used. I noticed it change over, when the burner on the stove got orange for a second. At the time, it was raining out, and I was inside nice and dry.
-2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
-2011 Rockwood Roo21ss
-Husky WDH and Friction Sway
-Prodigy 2 Brake Controller

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
botterbein wrote:
segen77 wrote:
botterbein wrote:
Our rig has a valve that automatically switches tanks when one runs out, and changes colors when that happens. I've also found a local propane supplier that charges for what they pump, not a flat fee on the tank, so even if it's half full, we just pay for what we get.

i don't suppose you have a link to where i can buy said valve?

Camping world has the one I have:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/propane-auto-changeover-two-stage-regulator/24030

Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

The things that come to those that wait will be the junky stuff left by those that got there 1st.

Remember; never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.