cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Show your mods!!

Mr_Usa
Explorer
Explorer
This is a removeable DVD stand I made out of conduit and wood for the back bunk in our Jayco 23B. swivels and tilted slightly. I also made one that will slide in the post where our regular TV sits for those "Dry camping" days!!

Weather station.

Clock installed above Dinette.

No need to bring a chunk of wood with.

08 Jayco 23B
02 Sequoia SR5 I-Force V8
Equalizer Hitch
The wife, Mrs. Usa
Our son AJ
Norman & his lil Buddy
499 REPLIES 499

Jeremy626
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if I missed this in the post, but nice job on welding up the frame for the truckbox, looks beefy to support the weight and looks like it's securely mounted to the square bumper. However the square bumper to trailer frame is the weakest connection point in that whole setup (unless you reinforced the bumper to frame connection and I missed it).

My fear would be driving down the road and that whole assembly would crack the welds and it would come flying off..still attached to the bumper!

I'd also be nervous about road clearance with the spare tire below.

Besides that, it looks nice.

popeye59
Explorer
Explorer
Looks good, hope you don't have an issue pulling in and out of parking lots with that spare tire.
Frank and Jean
EM1 USN ret
DAV Life Member

'09 Rockwood Roo 233S
'03 1500 Silverado LS

The things that come to those that wait will be the junky stuff left by those that got there 1st.

Remember; never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

GeoRoo
Explorer
Explorer
ryanb-72 wrote:
GeoRoo, That is way cool!! I would love to do that to our Jayco. Unfortunately it does not have a square bumper though. HHHMMMMMM.....

Great job bet that will really come in handy!

Thanks, but I can't take credit for the idea (only the work done to my HTT). I got a ton of advice from 4HappyCampers (in this forum) and many others...

In total, it cost me just under $500 for all of the parts. My friend welded the frame and I did the rest of the work.

I'd search around the forums here, because you may find out if someone has already figured out how to work around the Jayco rear bumper (for a storage box). Take care! Vr, Geo

ryanb-72
Explorer
Explorer
GeoRoo, That is way cool!! I would love to do that to our Jayco. Unfortunately it does not have a square bumper though. HHHMMMMMM.....

Great job bet that will really come in handy!
2012 Jayco X17Z
2013 Ford F-150 ecoboost 4x4
Kipor KGE 3000TI

GeoRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for the double post of the first few pics, I can't figure out why it is doing that (must be my flickr account)...

Well, thanks again for all of your wonderful ideas!

Vr, Geo

GeoRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Finally got around to the RV a few weeks ago. All ideas were derived from this forum, so thanks all!

Screen door push bar (so simple yet a necessity):

Assist grab handle:

RV Truck box mod (I choose Husky):

Measuring the frame to box:

welding complete:

Curt Mfg hitch receivers:

frame with spray on bed liner:

Frame test fit:

Spare tire fits under here too!

Spare under frame:

Test fitting box (left room for future bike hitch or accessories):

Mounting bolts:

Done!

Finished left side view by Geo662, on Flickr

Checking ground clearance by Geo662, on Flickr

finished right side view by Geo662, on Flickr

Good ground clearance by Geo662, on Flickr

Curt Mfg hitch receivers by Geo662, on Flickr

And finally, installed snaps to my PUGz:

Pugz with snaps by Geo662, on Flickr

The snaps make installation of 3 PUGz "a snap!" OK, lame, but really it only takes 3-5 minutes to install them now (most of my time is spent climbing up and down the bunk ends).

Thanks all for your great ideas, and to 4Happycampers for the truck box advice!

vr, Geo

Moderator edit to remove duplicate pictures and correct formatting.

TMBLSN
Explorer
Explorer
lzasitko wrote:

Can't say for all MH/TT but on our MH they are very evenly spaced. Most all panelling is in 4' widths so has to be pretty close every 4' ๐Ÿ™‚

Not saying it can't happen, just saying that I wouldn't count on it. Check for every stud before drilling.
Lee

lzasitko
Explorer
Explorer
TMBLSN wrote:
lzasitko wrote:

Once you find one stud they should be 16" on centre.

The rest of your advice is sound, but I disagree that you can expect to find studs evenly spaced.

Can't say for all MH/TT but on our MH they are very evenly spaced. Most all panelling is in 4' widths so has to be pretty close every 4' ๐Ÿ™‚

TMBLSN
Explorer
Explorer
lzasitko wrote:

The rest of your advice is sound, but I disagree that you can expect to find studs evenly spaced.
Lee

lzasitko
Explorer
Explorer
Stud finders will work and can be bought at most lumber and hardware stores as well as places like Wllmart.

You can also try the old knock on the wall, the stud should make a different sound but not sure if you would hear the difference in a wall with rigid insulation. In our MH that has wood studs and fiberglas you hear the difference.

In ours you can push on the luan and it will give a little where it will not where the studs are.

There will/should be studs beside doors and windows. Electrical boxes are normally on one side of the stud. Have a look in cabinets there may be screws holding them in place.

TMMull
Explorer
Explorer
mcallough wrote:
Has anyone mounted a flat screen TV on a swivel mount? I am concerned as to how to actually mount this because i am not familiar with whats behind the walls (e.g. i need it to be string enough to take the movements). I see allot of people mount them on the cabinet but in my case this is not an option. Of the two walls I can mount it on one is the wall around the fridge and seems weak and the other is the main wall. I suspect the later is the best to mount it on but not sure if either is strong enough.. Any suggestions?

I have a Coachman Freedom Express 17SDX.

I mounted through the exterior wall. I bought 2 inexpensive TV mounts, put one inside and one out side and through bolted them to sandwich the wall material. They have been in place for almost 3 years with no problems.
2008 Starcraft 185SB Antigua
2005 Ford F150 XLT Supercab 4.6

epeters
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a picture of the board mounted in the trailer. I don't have the TV hooked to the mount so it is easier to see what I did.

Erik

mcallough wrote:
epeters wrote:
I had the same concern. So what I did is use some left over 3/4" melamine and cut it to fit between the top of our wardrobe cabinet and the bottom of the upper cabinets up against the ceiling where the TV will go. This allowed me to attach the board via L brackets to the upper and lower cabinet (so nothing into the wall). Then I mounted the swivel mount to the board. Works well. And, since our trailer's cabinets are done in white, the white board matches pretty well.

I can provide a picture if desired.

Erik

mcallough wrote:
Has anyone mounted a flat screen TV on a swivel mount? I am concerned as to how to actually mount this because i am not familiar with whats behind the walls (e.g. i need it to be string enough to take the movements). I see allot of people mount them on the cabinet but in my case this is not an option. Of the two walls I can mount it on one is the wall around the fridge and seems weak and the other is the main wall. I suspect the later is the best to mount it on but not sure if either is strong enough.. Any suggestions?

Sounds like an interesting idea. I would love to see pictures.
Erik

DW, DS, DD
2018 Nash 29S
2017 GMC Sierra
Retired --> 2004 Silverado Crewcab 1500
2008 Starcraft Antiqua - traded in
2003 Fleetwood Mesa - gone
Photos

mcallough
Explorer
Explorer
lzasitko wrote:
@mcallough There are wall anchors made for hollow walls that may help.

Some are a toggle bolt where there is a ridged wing(s) that will spread out on the inside of the wall.

There are anchors that you insert in a hole and then tighten a screw and it has a cage that then bends behind the wall. Once compressed all the way you can remove the screw and reinsert as you need to.

You might be able to use well nuts, these are a metal sleeve and a rubber insert that when screwed down will expand to hold. These would probably be the weakest method.

Screws with the plastic inserts I wouldn't use, they just don't hold well enough. Someone used these to hold a flip up table and small bar to the wall in our MH and over time they have come loose.

Might have to mount a larger piece of wood to the wall, then mount the tv bracket to that. Best would be if the wood was mounted into two studs (one on either end). Studs in most rv's are pretty easy to find.

How do you find the studs in a camper? Can't you tell i am new to this!! I am use to pop-ups.

mcallough
Explorer
Explorer
epeters wrote:
I had the same concern. So what I did is use some left over 3/4" melamine and cut it to fit between the top of our wardrobe cabinet and the bottom of the upper cabinets up against the ceiling where the TV will go. This allowed me to attach the board via L brackets to the upper and lower cabinet (so nothing into the wall). Then I mounted the swivel mount to the board. Works well. And, since our trailer's cabinets are done in white, the white board matches pretty well.

Erik

mcallough wrote:

Sounds like an interesting idea. I would love to see pictures.

epeters
Explorer
Explorer

Erik

mcallough wrote:

Erik

DW, DS, DD
2018 Nash 29S
2017 GMC Sierra
Retired --> 2004 Silverado Crewcab 1500
2008 Starcraft Antiqua - traded in
2003 Fleetwood Mesa - gone
Photos