cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

09 F150 downshifting

Mrbillsa
Explorer
Explorer
I'm getting ready to pickup our new travel trailer next week. I have a FX4 with supercab, tow package, 5.4 V8. I put new tires on Goodyear dealer put G load rating on, might be overkill. I put aftermarket power fold tow mirrors on, and most recently a fiberglass topper. There's not a lot of extra weight on it, since I had a hard cover on it before topper. I've noticed the truck downshifting quite a bit, even when I touch the gas going downhill. Not sure if this is normal and just resign myself to driving in tow mode or what. I know the mirrors are catching a lot more air than the stock ones. Thanks in advance for input.
13 REPLIES 13

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
goducks10 wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
BTDT with a 2010 F150. JMO so take it how you want, but that 6sp tranny is the worst tranny for towing I've ever towed with. The reason it's downshifting alot is because you can't lock out either OD's or select what max gear you want. The tranny will hunt ans shift all day long. I had the same issues towing 7300lbs going over simple interstate overpasses. It would shift 3-4 times during the whole process. Really irritating.
the plus side to the tranny is they greatly improved the cooling from 08. I used a Scangage to monitor tranny temps and the tranny stayed in normal temps all the time.
Tow haul mode won't change often the tranny shifts. It will just make the shifts firmer. BTDT

I have a 2011 F-150 with the 6 speed tranny. It is easy to lock out the top gears. All I do is while in top gear I push the up button on the shifter that then lights up the gears lights on the indicator. Once lit up I then push the down button. As I do the top gear lights will go out. Once the lights are out the gears are locked out and the tranny will not go into those gears. Easy.

I like the tranny so far. My only complaint is that it does not have a "hill hold" feature. While backing my TT up hill into the storage shed if take my foot off of the gas the truck will start to roll down the hill forward right away. You have to get your foot in the brakes quick.

Not the same tranny. The 2011 is the upgraded version of the 2009-10. You have the select shift on yours so you can block higher gears. You can't do that on a 2009 or 2010.
Also you have the 3.5 EB. It's a more powerful engine than the doggy 5.4. Part of the problem is that the 5.4 is under powered and you have to push down on the go pedal more often. Anyone knows that when you press far enough on the go pedal with an auto it will down shift. With two OD gears in the 6sp you cause more downshifts.
I towed 7300lbs all over Oregon and NorCal for 3 seasons of camping. So I had enough of the downshifting.
From everything I read your 3.5 with the better 6spd is a nice setup.

Oh,,, I didn't know that the 2009 and 2010 transmissions did not have the same "select shift" transmission.

No, I don't have the eco-boost. I have the 5.0 V8

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
BTDT with a 2010 F150. JMO so take it how you want, but that 6sp tranny is the worst tranny for towing I've ever towed with. The reason it's downshifting alot is because you can't lock out either OD's or select what max gear you want. The tranny will hunt ans shift all day long. I had the same issues towing 7300lbs going over simple interstate overpasses. It would shift 3-4 times during the whole process. Really irritating.
the plus side to the tranny is they greatly improved the cooling from 08. I used a Scangage to monitor tranny temps and the tranny stayed in normal temps all the time.
Tow haul mode won't change often the tranny shifts. It will just make the shifts firmer. BTDT

I have a 2011 F-150 with the 6 speed tranny. It is easy to lock out the top gears. All I do is while in top gear I push the up button on the shifter that then lights up the gears lights on the indicator. Once lit up I then push the down button. As I do the top gear lights will go out. Once the lights are out the gears are locked out and the tranny will not go into those gears. Easy.

I like the tranny so far. My only complaint is that it does not have a "hill hold" feature. While backing my TT up hill into the storage shed if take my foot off of the gas the truck will start to roll down the hill forward right away. You have to get your foot in the brakes quick.

Not the same tranny. The 2011 is the upgraded version of the 2009-10. You have the select shift on yours so you can block higher gears. You can't do that on a 2009 or 2010.
Also you have the 3.5 EB. It's a more powerful engine than the doggy 5.4. Part of the problem is that the 5.4 is under powered and you have to push down on the go pedal more often. Anyone knows that when you press far enough on the go pedal with an auto it will down shift. With two OD gears in the 6sp you cause more downshifts.
I towed 7300lbs all over Oregon and NorCal for 3 seasons of camping. So I had enough of the downshifting.
From everything I read your 3.5 with the better 6spd is a nice setup.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
goducks10 wrote:

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Mrbillsa wrote:
I'm getting ready to pickup our new travel trailer next week. I have a FX4 with supercab, tow package, 5.4 V8. I put new tires on Goodyear dealer put G load rating on, might be overkill. I put aftermarket power fold tow mirrors on, and most recently a fiberglass topper. There's not a lot of extra weight on it, since I had a hard cover on it before topper. I've noticed the truck downshifting quite a bit, even when I touch the gas going downhill. Not sure if this is normal and just resign myself to driving in tow mode or what. I know the mirrors are catching a lot more air than the stock ones. Thanks in advance for input.

I'm not surprised the tranny is down shifting more especially with a G load range tire. G tires are best left to 4500/5500 size trucks with diesel engines.

Those tires can weigh in the 60 lb range....well above what your OEM P tires 38-42 lbs. That adds up to lots of parasitic drag on the engine/tranny.
Also a G load range tire is rated at 110 psi. Your probably only able to use 35-40 psi. A heavy tire like that at low pressures will cause even more rolling resistance (parasitic drag).

Check those tires....I've never heard of anyone or a tire dealer that would put a load G tire on a 1/2 ton truck with probably 3800-4050 rawr.

Next would be the extra weight from the fiberglass topper. More weight causing the engine to work harder with more downshifts.
One of my older fiberglass cab high topper weighed 340 lbs. The 5.7 chevy smallblock long bed could tell it as did the 4L60 with more downshifting even when empty.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2011 F-150 4x4 with the E-boost engine. I tow a 6200 lbs across the scales TT. I have not had any problems with the 6 speed transmission towing or not towing.

I tow with the tow haul because it delays the shifting. I also find the tow haul setting handy in the hills and mountains without the TT as it uses more engine braking.

I have towed over 25,000 miles in the last three years, I have found the OEM "P" rated tires adequate for towing and the driving around town. The towing did seem to take its toll, I had to replace the tires at 50,000 miles and the OEM shocks at 60,000 miles.

I have no doubt one can make bigger, stronger, tougher modifications to their vehicle but it's still an F-150.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

tll
Explorer
Explorer
Iv'e got the same truck but the Crew Cab. It does shift a lot when towing, and I do wish there was a lockout for the top gears. I tow just shy of 8000 lbs. Be ready for lots of shifting and spending time in 3-4 gear up any type of incline, often at 4000 rpm. Just get used to it, the engine and tranny can handle it. Towed our trailer about 20,000 miles so far. Over the Rockies several times.Truck has 205,000 miles on it.
2015 Starcraft 299BHU
2011 Jayco X23J(sold)
2009 Ford F150 FX4 SuperCrew

Peg_Leg
Explorer
Explorer
Your down shifting now without the trailer, doesn't sound like a good tow candidate to me.
2012 Chevy 3500HD Dually 4X4
Crew Cab long bed 6.0 gasser 4.10
2019 Open Range OF337RLS
Yamaha EF3000iSE
retired gadgetman

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
AmericalVette wrote:
I had the '09 F150 FX4 with max tow package. It handled my rig quite well. When in "Tow-Haul" mode, and going down hill, a tap on the brakes would cause a down-shift, which was better than riding the brakes. Never any complaints or worries for me.
I found it to be the same with my '09 F150, max tow pkg truck. I was quite pleased with it for 7 years towing our 6000# GVWR TT up until I just traded for a new 2016 F150.

We averaged about 5500 miles of towing each year.

AmericalVette
Explorer
Explorer
I had the '09 F150 FX4 with max tow package. It handled my rig quite well. When in "Tow-Haul" mode, and going down hill, a tap on the brakes would cause a down-shift, which was better than riding the brakes. Never any complaints or worries for me.
Times fun when you're having flies!

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Had a 2010 F150 5.4L w/3.55 LSD. The '09 and '10 transmissions had shifting problems, especially down shifting. One of the reasons I got rid of my '10 early. Ford redesigned the transmission in the 2011+ trucks to get rid of the jarring down shifts.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer

Mrbillsa
Explorer
Explorer
Tires are same size as original, ride is stiffer but not going to send me to chiropractor. Been driving on them about a week, It's just downshifts at hwy speeds that I'm surprised by, without the trailer.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Mrbillsa wrote:

That thing is going to ride like a buckboard. If the tires are larger than stock, that will cause more downshifts and less power. Wind resistance causes a large amount of power consumption, all you can do is drive slower. Yes, use tow mode whenever the trailer is attached, it will be better for the transmission, help in slowing (some models), and may help in cooling.