cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1/2 Ton Bumper Tow

GoHorns
Explorer
Explorer
So.... we are downsizing from our Power Stroke / 5th Wheel ensemble to a 1/2 ton truck with a travel trailer. We ended up purchasing a 2016 Ram 1500 4x2 with the 5.7 Hemi. Now we're looking at travel trailers.

We just came from a Forest River dealer where we saw a 26' model that we really liked. The truck is rated for 10,800 pounds, and the trailer has a dry weight of 6,089 with 1,700 capacity. I know on paper it looks like I sill have a ton and a half of capacity to spare, but I am hoping to hear from someone with a similar setup who can tell me firsthand that he is happy with performance and handling of the truck and trailer combination. Hopefully someone who does some towing in Colorado or similar.

Thanks in advance....
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 3.92
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
Equalizer 14k

Semi Empty Nesters
Jer 20:9
47 REPLIES 47

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on your use. If you are towing just an hour or two down the road a few times a year, you'll be fine. If you intend to pull for months on end for many miles, I'd get a smaller trailer. The issue you'll run into is payload. My 3/4 ton with my family, tools, gas, etc. only has a payload of 1,600 pounds. So looking at toy hauler fifth wheels, even tho they are 11,000 pounds loaded and under my 12,500 rating, the 2,100 pound pin weight will put me over my gvw. I've had that much rock in my bed, no way would I want to go more than a few miles overloaded like that. I would check the pin weight of the trailer and weigh your truck full of fuel and family, coolers, wood, whatever else you carry camping. Then you can know if you are over the GVW.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
Why are so many people telling him to buy a 3/4 ton? He already said he bought a 1/2 ton and is asking for advice about towing with that truck!

Also, the gross weight of the trailer is 7,789 pounds, not 10,800 as the first reply stated, nor 8,800, as the next reply tried to claim.

The gross 7,789 pounds might be a bit much for that truck in Colorado, but let's say they load 1,000 pounds of gear, which is what I constantly read on these forums is the "average" amount for a travel trailer.

That puts the trailer at 7,089 pounds. While that is the most I would want to tow with that truck at those grades, I think it is definitely doable.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned five new Ford and Chevrolet half ton and five new three quarter ton pickups in the last twelve years. The three quarter tons were by far the better tow vehicles. "If" I was not going to tow much weight or very far, I would buy another half ton. That is what I just did. 2016 F-150 in the driveway now.

I don't think anyone is telling the OP to trade vehicles, just to be careful loading up that 1500 beyond its ratings.

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
TomG2 wrote:
keymastr wrote:
I don't get why people choose a 1500 series truck knowing they are going to tow when the 2500 is the same size, just a little taller.

Agreed. Why do people know that they need an adequate tow vehicle for a fifth wheel and then try a marginal pickup for their travel trailer?
Probably for the same reason some people think everyone needs a 350 or 3500 when a 150 or 1500 would do just fine. :@

Because once you move from a half-ton the ride is garbage when your not towing.....that's why.

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
The payload on that RAM is pathetic!

BC_Explorer
Explorer
Explorer
GoHorns wrote:
The truck is rated for 10,800 pounds, and the trailer has a dry weight of 6,089 with 1,700 capacity. I know on paper it looks like I sill have a ton and a half of capacity to spare, but I am hoping to hear from someone with a similar setup who can tell me firsthand that he is happy with performance and handling of the truck and trailer combination. Hopefully someone who does some towing in Colorado or similar.

Thanks in advance....

The 1500 will run out payload long before towing capacity. My 1500 is rated the same towing capacity but payload is not high enough to pull that size and weight of trailer. Check the yellow sticker on the drivers door jamb, it will list the payload there. It would probably help to have your truck weighed with a full tank of gas, expected number of occupants and cargo then calculate your remaining payload. I would suspect then that you will be well short of remaining payload capacity to pull that trailer.

Ram calculates the payload capacity as follows (from the owners manual):

The payload of a vehicle is defined as the allowable load weight a truck can carry, including the weight of the driver, all passengers, options and cargo.

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Guys he already downsized to a 1/2 ton for reasons, but let's not turn this into what truck he should have or what others have. Doesn't matter at this point, he's just asking about the experiences on towing. I have never towed out west but some of you guys probably have.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
TomG2 wrote:
keymastr wrote:
I don't get why people choose a 1500 series truck knowing they are going to tow when the 2500 is the same size, just a little taller.

Agreed. Why do people know that they need an adequate tow vehicle for a fifth wheel and then try a marginal pickup for their travel trailer?
Probably for the same reason some people think everyone needs a 350 or 3500 when a 150 or 1500 would do just fine. :@

There are a heck of a lot more people who come on here asking how they can handle their travel trailer with their 15/1500, even though, they are "Only a few hundred pounds over my GVWR" than there are those complaining about a two thousand pound pin weight with a 3500. They probably learned from their bumper pull days that it is better to have a little extra truck than not enough.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
keymastr wrote:

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
keymastr wrote:

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
The Ram 1500 is very softly sprung. It will not like the weight if you go past 6500 or 7000. And forget carrying any weight in the bed. At least it isn't the Eco-Diesel.

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Good one, well NE is where I have been going. I still think he will be fine, like I said " Going from diesel back to gas will be a change but I have pulled with both and have no issues." The OP changed trucks already so simply giving him any info could be helpful.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
kw/00 wrote:
I think you should be fine, I had at one time a 2000 5.3 1/2 ton Chevy and pulled a small fifth wheel 6500-7000 lbs dry without issues. My GVWR was at the max back then but no issues. Going from diesel back to gas will be a change but I have pulled with both and have no issues. I pull 10K with a gas job and so far any mountains I have run into up North I have had zero issues. Just drop a gear and go. The 5.7 Hemi my Aunt has in her 2500 Dodge pulls the hills fine, and she pulls around 10-11K.

Northeast mountains or northwest mountains?

OP wants to tow in Colorado. All the stuff back east is foothills compared to the mountains out west.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
I think you should be fine, I had at one time a 2000 5.3 1/2 ton Chevy and pulled a small fifth wheel 6500-7000 lbs dry without issues. My GVWR was at the max back then but no issues. Going from diesel back to gas will be a change but I have pulled with both and have no issues. I pull 10K with a gas job and so far any mountains I have run into up North I have had zero issues. Just drop a gear and go. The 5.7 Hemi my Aunt has in her 2500 Dodge pulls the hills fine, and she pulls around 10-11K.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Forget that 10,800 pound rating. That is just salesman talk. Do the math as far as payload, tongue weight, etc. More trailer than I would want behind most half ton pickups. There are a lot of people that will sell you air bags, timbrens, LT tires, and then a 2500 series pickup.