cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1/2 Ton Bumper Tow

GoHorns
Explorer
Explorer
So.... we are downsizing from our Power Stroke / 5th Wheel ensemble to a 1/2 ton truck with a travel trailer. We ended up purchasing a 2016 Ram 1500 4x2 with the 5.7 Hemi. Now we're looking at travel trailers.

We just came from a Forest River dealer where we saw a 26' model that we really liked. The truck is rated for 10,800 pounds, and the trailer has a dry weight of 6,089 with 1,700 capacity. I know on paper it looks like I sill have a ton and a half of capacity to spare, but I am hoping to hear from someone with a similar setup who can tell me firsthand that he is happy with performance and handling of the truck and trailer combination. Hopefully someone who does some towing in Colorado or similar.

Thanks in advance....
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 3.92
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2150RB
Equalizer 14k

Semi Empty Nesters
Jer 20:9
47 REPLIES 47

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on your new TT, let us know how any long trips work out. I'm sure the truck will do fine. I have met several people at RV shows that are downsizing. There is absolutely no issue with doing so. It's all about enjoying camping, we are blessed enough to afford it and have the freedom to do so.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

GoHorns
Explorer
Explorer
As it turns out... The gear ratio on my truck (3:21-1) reduces the towing capacity to 8,150... so this altered our search a bit. However, the camper we purchased has a GVWR of 6,695 so it worked out well.

We are very pleased with the camper, and would have purchased it even if the truck was rated for 10k or whatever.....
Equalizer 14k

Semi Empty Nesters

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
Based on the numbers you gave in the initial post I don't see any issues. Your ready to go camping weight is probably going to be 7000 pounds-ish on the trailer. That truck can handle it. Get yourself some Timbrens or Sumo SuperSprings. They will really help a lot. I use the Sumos and love them. They install easy and are relatively cheap for what they do. Have fun..

Last_Train
Explorer
Explorer
GoHorns wrote:
Well.... after our exhaustive search: we eventually went with the Grand Design Imagine 2150RB. . . . Also, the over/under for "you need a bigger truck" responses went over... as expected.... 😉

GoHorns, glad you were able to make a happy choice for your needs. Kudos for your patience and endurance through the comments on the "you need a bigger truck" comments. Seems like you made an informed decision - plus bring to the table solid towing experience, albeit with a 5'er. Well done, and happy camping!

Getting ready ourselves for a brief weekend jaunt over to Lake Livingston State Park with our Freedom Express 192RBS. Took us a year of hard research to make a wonderful match for our truck. May see you around Texas someday, who knows?

BTW, Gig 'Em, Aggies! 😉

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2018 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like you're gonna be fine. Let us know how it tows
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

GoHorns
Explorer
Explorer
Well.... after our exhaustive search: we eventually went with the Grand Design Imagine 2150RB. It ended up being the trailer we liked the most, and was also well below (over 1000 pounds) the towing capacity of the truck. We took it straight to the campground from the dealership. I purposely went one size up on the WD hitch, and also swapped the passenger tires on the truck for LT. Also, the over/under for "you need a bigger truck" responses went over... as expected.... 😉
Equalizer 14k

Semi Empty Nesters

GoHorns
Explorer
Explorer
BillyW

I took a look at the site, and I think the 21' might be more our speed. However, I really liked what they had. Problem is, I don't see any of the 21' models in stock at any dealers in the Dallas area...
Equalizer 14k

Semi Empty Nesters

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
GoHorns wrote:
Having towed my fifth wheel a few times over the hogback in Utah (Hwy 12), and across I-70 through Eisenhower I have learned to appreciate how quickly I can climb the pass not nearly as much as how slowly I can come down....

Essentially what I am looking for in a travel trailer is the minimum length that provides two axles, at least one slide, sleeps up to 4, and preferably a rear-living floor plan with large windows in the back.

My wife also is pretty adamant about a shower door as opposed to the plastic curtain.... This may be a unicorn search, but nonetheless it is my quest... 😉

Like this maybe?
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
GoHorns, just because it's something that you don't want to hear, doesn't mean it's condescending.

Would you rather people tell you to go ahead and tow anything you want, it's a truck and it can tow anything? Then you go out and drop tens of thousands of hard-earned money on a trailer only to find out you HATE towing it. But wait, that guy said he does the same thing and it was "Just Fine(tm)"!!! Who do you blame? The correct answer is "yourself" but that doesn't stop most people from placing the blame on anyone but.

It never hurts to be informed.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

GoHorns
Explorer
Explorer
Having towed my fifth wheel a few times over the hogback in Utah (Hwy 12), and across I-70 through Eisenhower I have learned to appreciate how quickly I can climb the pass not nearly as much as how slowly I can come down....

Essentially what I am looking for in a travel trailer is the minimum length that provides two axles, at least one slide, sleeps up to 4, and preferably a rear-living floor plan with large windows in the back.

My wife also is pretty adamant about a shower door as opposed to the plastic curtain.... This may be a unicorn search, but nonetheless it is my quest... 😉
Equalizer 14k

Semi Empty Nesters

slabm7
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a 29ft TT weighed on the scales at 6700lbs. I've pulled it for the last 3 years with my f150 5.4l. It pulls fine. If you get a strong crosswind just slow down. Too many people think you need a 1 ton diesel to pull 3000lbs. The truck will handle it just fine. I did just upgrade to a 3/4 ton because my f150 finally gave up and I plan to tow this trailer for a long time. Put a good hitch on it, maybe airbag and enjoy your new truck and trailer!

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
I don't think going from a 32' fifth wheel to a 26' trailer is much of a down size. But that's just me. I also think a 26' trailer at 10,800 pounds GVWR is way too much for a 1/2 ton pick up.

Trust me. We stepped down from a 32.5 fiver to a 26' pull trailer and it is a huge step down. Much, much easier. Lighter, lower, easy to back up. However, we kept out diesel 2500 so can't say much about the new truck.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

GoHorns
Explorer
Explorer
It's kinda humorous as I read most of the posts in this form. In almost every thread someone will steer the conversation to the fact that they have the wrong tow vehicle..... However, in my case: The truck is here to stay. We will fit the trailer to the truck.... I looked at a Jayco Jayfeather 23RLSW and we really liked the floor plan, and the weight looks a bit better than the 26 footer. I also plan on looking at a Coachmen, and/or a Dutchman... We plan on making a decision some time this fall, and hope to be ready to head to the mountains next spring. I do appreciate all the input, even though some of it is a bit condescending.... 😉
Equalizer 14k

Semi Empty Nesters

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
BillyW wrote:
I think 395 horsepower routed through a very capable 8 speed transmission to the 3.92 rear end will handle the Colorado Rockys with ease. Nothing to worry about there. A good wd hitch, well balanced trailer, and attention to the rear GAWR will allow for 7500 - 8000 lbs of trailer. LT tires will make that whole package rock solid. That's what I'm shooting for anyhow.

Agree, especially on the LT tires.