cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12v electric.

navyblue
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a very old TC. It was built locally and the guy is no longer in business. My question I where can I find a wiring diagram that I can use re-wire my camper. It has a 6 wire connector from the wiring harness to the camper. But it seems the original builder used his own diagram... I am finding lots of broken wires and have no idea what is going on inside the camper. I am hosting for the next month and hopefully will have time to work on a new wiring situation which is more conventional. Inside wiring setup so I can have a better inside wiring and run a new set of lights on the rear of the unit.
Navyblue
'98 GMC 3500 Sierra crewcab 4x4, full bed
'76. Nomad travel trailer (project trailer)
6 REPLIES 6

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I was wiring it from scratch, I'd go with the 7 RV blade connector. It's larger allowing you more room to work on things, I think they're better made, and the extra wire allows you more flexiblilty. It may also handle hire amperage if you need it.

ETrailer.com has a lot of good information on it.

ETrailer connector Clicky

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

navyblue
Explorer
Explorer
I see what you are saying. Right now I have a 6ford round. Should I go to a 7conclusion wire plug?
Navyblue
'98 GMC 3500 Sierra crewcab 4x4, full bed
'76. Nomad travel trailer (project trailer)

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you couldn't get the wiring diagram from the guy that built the camper, and you can't provide a brand and model to us, you're sunk.

Really it's not that complicated. Treat the lights like one wiring system, and the 12V interior electrical like a completely separate system. The only place they will connect together is at the 7-pin RV plug that connects to the truck. Even then, the only COMMON connection will be the ground (battery -).

For the internal wiring, think in terms of a wiring "bus." All the +'s get connected together (12V+ from truck's trailer plug, converter 12V+ output, house battery +, lighting, appliances). All the -'s get connected together (ground from truck's trailer plug, converter ground, house battery -, lighting, appliances).

You'll want to separate the + connections for various appliances and lights onto separate circuits with a fuse panel. AutoZone has a nice 6-circuit fuse panel that uses automotive type fuses.

All the - connections can be made together on a bus bar.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You'd be hard pressed to find a schematic for even a new unit let alone an old one. They just run wires as needed and don't follow any true schematic.

recycler
Explorer
Explorer
sounds like your best bet is to just clip the wires and start over putting inside like a northwoods unit.. makes it alot easier later on
1999 F550 truck conversion

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since it sounds like you'll have to start from scratch, can you use a standard 7-wire wiring diagram for a trailer with the expection of using a heavier wire for the lighting?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.