Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

my springs are flat

navyblue
Explorer
Explorer
Hi
I am driving a 98 GMC 3500 crew cab w/ 4 wheel drive. I know my TC is very heave 2450 empty. I suspect the previous owner also had a TC and my TV's previous drove a truck just like mine except it was a dually. Mine is a single rear wheeler.
So here is my question what is the best way to beef up my spring load. Firestone airbags or helper springs or timberline spells wrong but I mean the rubber things?
I am sitting in a local campground working as a camp host so I have the time to get something before I go out in the road again. Please help this old tired Newbie.

Thanks,
Navyblue
'98 GMC 3500 Sierra crewcab 4x4, full bed
'76. Nomad travel trailer (project trailer)
5 REPLIES 5

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Spring shop can work wonders, cheap.

A buddy of mine has a GMC Canyon. Bought it used. I always thought it sat a little low, and it would sag badly in the rear with even just 100lbs in the bed.

He took a closer look recently and saw the springs were flattened out. Local spring shop recurved the springs and added a leaf to each side for a little over $300. It sits about 4" higher now.

He used to need a 5" rise shank to tow a small 4x8 enclosed trailer level. Now he's using a straight shank. Drives better. Rides better.

Pricing out the parts, he couldn't replace the springs with new OEM for what he paid. Plus he got an upgrade in capacity.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

BeanMan
Explorer
Explorer
Go to a spring shop and get it done right. I wish I had the first time.

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
Spring shop is the cheapest and this includes the shops that specialize in accessories for off-road vehicles. SuperSprings are more expensive but I put a pair on my truck in under an hour with no special tools needed.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Id agree, if your springs are fatigued to the point of flatening best money spent would be fresh springs before adding to compensate
Just a random spring site-generalspringkc.com. Replacement springs arent that expensive-you could upgrade capacity-Though weight you stated really isnt that heavy..
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Go to a spring shop.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member