cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best WDH with Sway Control for Small Trailer

We_ll_See
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at the Wildwood 195BH - a 2013 or 2014 model. What do you think is the best combo WDH with Sway Control and what weight bars should I get?

Equalizer?

Reese Dual Cam?

I'm not considering a Hensley or a Pro-ride.
Jeep and Explorer
18 REPLIES 18

MontanaCamper
Explorer
Explorer
isnt the E2 only 2 way sway, not 4 way like the original?
'07 301BHS FOR SALE
'07 Dodge 2500 w/5.9L SOLD
'96 wife
4 dogs
2 cats
10 rc's

Been pulling a trailer for 16 years
2013 camping nights: 16
2014 camping nights: 28!! Then tranny went out........

waynec1957
Explorer
Explorer
RinconVTR wrote:
Equalizer E2.

Use their web site to determine which bars to go with.

X 3 on the Equalizer
2013 Chevy Sliverado 2500 HD LS Crew Cab
Duramax/Allison, HD Tow Package, GCWR 24,500

2017 KZ Sportsmen S330 IK

Majja13
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Weekender 180 and I love my Equalizer 1200 k

Matt
2015 GMC Sierra 2500hd 6.0 w/4:10 rear end
2006 SkyLine Weekender 180
1200/12000 Equal-i-zer WDH

DarthMuffin
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
People, like me, who have actually used the Andersen No Sway Hitch, love them. Lightweight, clean, easy to hitch/unhitch, excellent sway resistance.

+1! I love mine. Light, simple, easy to use. They really have built a better mousetrap.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
BlueOx swaypro.

Has the ability to restore your front axle weight to 100% if you so desire ( or less if you want to ) unlike some other brand out there.

Built in sway control.

The part you lift weighs 68 pounds.

It's "clean" in that you do not have to grease the ends of the weight bars where you plug them into the head.

Quiet in operation ( no loud popping noises )

And, it works well in actual use.

Hammerhead
Explorer
Explorer
Not only it it light (GVWR less than 4,000 lbs), it's also just 21 feet long.

Our old trailer was the same length and much heavier and the friction bar was all we needed. Our tow vehicles were a Durango and Grand Cherokee.

jerem0621 wrote:
That light... Standard WD hitch and single friction sway bar would be more than adaquate.

Thanks

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
ROBERTSUNRUS wrote:
TomG2 wrote:
People, like me, who have actually used the Andersen No Sway Hitch, love them. Lightweight, clean, easy to hitch/unhitch, excellent sway resistance.

๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, I like the idea behind the Andersen hitch, but they still have some concerns to deal with. Right now, (tell me if I'm wrong) but Andersen is the only hitch that has a problem with certain couplers, such as the Atwood coupler that my trailer was built with.

There is one specific older Marvel/Atwood coupler that seems problematic. Most Atwoods are fine. One guy did have a failure to latch properly with a self admitted worn out coupler. Some like the Andersen so much that they are upgrading their couplers on older trailers. Makes no difference to me, the OP asked for suggestions, I gave mine.

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:

๐Ÿ™‚ Hi, I like the idea behind the Andersen hitch, but they still have some concerns to deal with. Right now, (tell me if I'm wrong) but Andersen is the only hitch that has a problem with certain couplers, such as the Atwood coupler that my trailer was built with.
๐Ÿ™‚ Bob ๐Ÿ™‚
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on the Andersen. Quiet, easy to hookup, no grease and you don't have to unhook anything to back up. Plus it's only 60lbs, not 100lbs like the rest. For your TW it should work great.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
That light... Standard WD hitch and single friction sway bar would be more than adaquate.

Thanks
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Bruce_H_
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:

X2 on the Andersen hitch. The Andersen should be able to handle the OP's trailer just fine. Outstanding sway control, good weight distribution, and unmatched towing comfort.

Bruce
2012 Lance 1575 TT pulled by 2013 4WD Expedition with HD Tow Package

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer

According to brochure the dry tongue weight is 403 pounds so I figure about 500 pounds or a bit more loaded.

I'd guess that you will be higher than that. Dry tongue weight has no options included. Once you add a battery and 1 or 2 propane tanks to the tongue you will exceed 500lbs, and that doesn't include anything packed ino the trailer yet. Keep in mind where the storage areas and the water tanks are located. Anything ahead of the axles will increase the tongue weight.

As for the hitch, you can't go wrong with either. IMHO the Equil-i-zer is a bit easier to set up and deal with but makes more noise.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
You asked the best sway control and that would be the Hensley Arrow. They make a junior version for smaller trailers.